ECF AGM 2022

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
J T Melsom

Re: ECF AGM 2022

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:24 pm

Not sure if that is directed at me - you once advised me that a post directly under one of mine needn't deserve that assumption - but I would appreciate knowing what any candidate for any office intends to do. And the silence does rather allow others to reach less generous conclusions.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:35 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:24 pm
Not sure if that is directed at me
Not specifically, no - but you quoted Paul so I didn't know if you understood what he was referring to, if indeed he was referring to anything in particular other than the business with Tim Wall. Answers from anybody well-informed would be welcome.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Thanks - I wasn't sure exactly what Paul was getting at either, but that rather reinforces my point. In the absence of fresh information, the historical baggage may take on a significance that may or may not be justified.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:38 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:00 pm
It is hard for me to take Tim Wall's candidacy for a non-exec role seriously. Perhaps something will surprise me, but I doubt he should be grateful to the organisations that nominated him.
I don't understand? Northumberland certainly haven't nominated anyone who hadn't sought the nomination.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:03 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:07 pm
I submitted an election address in good time.
I am happy to see that that my address is now showing, although when I try to link to it, it shows something else..
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:26 pm

Nick

I cannot comment on any technology issues that you experienced but I found the material via the link to council papers provided by John Reyes up thread.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:03 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:26 pm
Nick

I cannot comment on any technology issues that you experienced but I found the material via the link to council papers provided by John Reyes up thread.
So can you see my address or not?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:12 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:03 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:26 pm
Nick

So can you see my address or not?
Yes it's there, and very clear and succinct it is too.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:07 pm

Yes, 'I found the material ie the address via the link referred to above.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 pm

Received Wednesday, September 7th:
Dear John ,

Council representatives are invited to check the provisional voting entitlements published today in the Council Database site reached from https://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/e ... and-board/ and clicking the big button saying 'Click Here'. I am not currently supplying a more direct link as the database is not currently at its intended final address.

There is a new menu item, Voting Calculations 2022-23. This is in the public area of the database so there is no need to login. If you have queries or suspect omissions there is a link on the page to the Voting Register Officer to whom this may be sent and who should be able to give help. The page first appears with the 4NCL details (first alphabetically). The button at top right brings up a drop down list that enables selection of other member organisations

Every effort has been made to allocate games submitted for rating to the appropriate organisation, often by consulting appropriate websites, but sometimes this cannot be done with certainty. For example, it might not be evident whether "Barsetshire Chess League" is an independent organisation or actually part of the "Barsetshire County Chess Association". Also, it may be obvious locally that the "Bishop Proudie Memorial Trophy" is a Barsetshire event, but not to the voting register officer. Even worse are the cases where the rating officer has submitted an event as organised by H&DCL. This is a real example and there are at least three chess leagues who describe themselves with these initials.

Organisations that are not members of Council in their own right can nominate a member organisation to receive credit of their rated submissions to contribute to the voting entitlement. Where these nominations have been made these submissions are also listed, so representatives should also check that this has been properly allocated.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:31 am

Just to let people know my Motion is going to be put up soon, as it needed to be rewording
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:59 pm

THAT the choice of venues for Meetings of Council shall be extended to include an accessible Northern city such as Manchester or Leeds, this to be achieved by amending the first sentence of paragraph 2.1 of the Procedural Byelaws to read as follows:

“The Finance Council and Annual General Meeting shall be held successively in London, Birmingham and either Manchester or Leeds commencing with London for the Annual General Meeting in 2023”

replacing the existing sentence:

“The meetings of Council for the Finance Council and the Annual General Meeting shall be held in London and Birmingham on a two-year cycle of London (Finance) and Birmingham (AGM) in even-numbered years, and Birmingham (Finance) and London (AGM) in odd-numbered years”
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:23 pm

Further details:
ENGLISH CHESS FEDERATION
Annual General Meeting 15 October 2022

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a meeting of the English Chess Federation Council will be held at Simister Hall, The Signing Tree Conference Centre, Ladywood Road, Birmingham B16 8SZ with access also available by Zoom on 15 October 2022, starting at 1.30 pm.

The Procedural Bye Laws prescribe that the Chairman shall seek to end the ECF Council meeting by 6:00 pm. but it may be extended to 6:30 pm if Members wish.

This meeting is convened by the Chairman of the ECF Council. This agenda is issued from the English Chess Federation Office (The Watch Oak, Chain Lane, Battle, East Sussex TN33 0YD) on Wednesday 21 September 2022.

An organisation wishing to change its Representative Member must do so by 1.30 pm on Wednesday 12 October 2022. An authorised official of the organisation should email the Chair of Council at [email protected] stating his or her official position and the official name of the organisation, the name and contact details of the newly appointed representative (particularly an email address) and affirming that he or she has authority to notify a change of representation. Such change of detail is permanent and will be carried forward to future meetings unless and until a further change is notified.

Representatives planning to attend the meeting in person are asked to notify the Chair at [email protected] by at latest Monday 1 October so that accurate numbers can be notified to the venue for catering purposes. Apologies for absence or courtesy notification of attendance by Zoom may also be sent to the same address.

Observers are only allowed with the permission of the Chair.

Proxies

If a Member or Representative Member is unable to attend this meeting but intends to remain a Member then a proxy may be appointed and this appointment will apply only to this meeting. To appoint a proxy the member representatives should read the “Appointment of Proxies and Voting Arragements” accompanying this notice. The normal procedure is now to make proxy appointments through the online facilities and there is no deadline for such appointments.

Voting Arrangements

Members should also note that all card voting is now done electronically and those attending in person are encouraged to bring their own laptop for this purpose, though arrangements will be in place for those unable to do so.

Members should familiarise themselves with the voting procedure set out in the doucument referred to above and ensure that they have access to the private area of the website set out in that document and at the foot of this notice.

Queries

In order to expedite the business of the meeting, Members are invited to contact the ECF Office or the Chair of Council beforehand should they have any questions of detail on the papers for the meeting.

Members are reminded that details of how members have exercised their votes in a poll will be published as part of the minutes of the meeting.

Members are reminded of the advice of the Pearce Commission that they should consult the organisations that they represent (and the members thereof) when deciding how to cast their votes.

Joining Instructions by Zoom

Details of joining instructions will be sent out closer to the date of the meeting. Members should note that they are responsible for ensuring they are able to access Zoom. It will not be practical to delay proceedings for representatives who are having hardware or software difficulties.

Enclosures

(i) The Annual General Meeting Agenda 2022

(ii) Appointment of Proxies and Voting Arrangements

Documents referred to in the Agenda will be published on the ECF Council Database accessible from the Council Documents page on the ECF website or directly at http://ecfcouncillive.ndlazi.uk

- Michael Farthing, Chair of Council
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:21 pm

Mancunians are adorable when they think London is inaccessible. London is more accessible for Mancunians than Manchester is for Novocastrians.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:00 pm

"London is more accessible for Mancunians than Manchester is for Novocastrians"

Yes - London is fairly accessible from everywhere. But Birmingham to Norwich, Penzance to Eastbourne, (ok Penzance to anywhere) are more difficult.