Organisations and Votes at ECF Council Question

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Organisations and Votes at ECF Council Question

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:17 am

Is there an automatic process by which an organisation which has become active in running events and submitting them for rating is alerted that it is entitled to votes at ECF Council?

I am secretary of an organisation which was dormant until 2017 and now runs several events per annum which all submit results for rating purposes.

At least one event has been submitted for rating by FIDE and more will follow.

Indeed the number of rated games is probably higher then some organisations which have existent votes.

Should I expect the ECF to make contact or do I need to make contact? If so, who would it be?

Thanks for your help. :D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Organisations and Votes at ECF Council Question

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am

Can't speak as an expert but I believe organisations need to apply for membership of council.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:44 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:38 am
Can't speak as an expert but I believe organisations need to apply for membership of council.
Thanks Andrew. Which is the appropriate official / rôle to contact?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am

If I was in your position I would contact either the chair of council or the voting register officer, who I believe are currently the same person.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:20 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am
If I was in your position I would contact either the chair of council or the voting register officer, who I believe are currently the same person.
I concur with Andrew's advice.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Anyone with any further update on this extract from the latest Board Minutes? "7. Rolling Membership Implementation (MT/NT)
MT and NT presented an update from Dave Thomas (DT) on the plans for rolling
membership. In the update, DT reported that he remained confident that the transition to
rolling membership could be made by 1 July 2022"

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:09 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:01 pm
Anyone with any further update on this extract from the latest Board Minutes? "7. Rolling Membership Implementation (MT/NT)
MT and NT presented an update from Dave Thomas (DT) on the plans for rolling
membership. In the update, DT reported that he remained confident that the transition to
rolling membership could be made by 1 July 2022"
Think I've just found the answer on the ECF website: In the past the ECF membership year has run from 1st September to 31st of the following August, and each year during July we open the sale of new memberships and renewals for the following season. In April, Finance Council approved the Board’s plan to move to a rolling membership year, where memberships will run for 12 months from when they are taken out.

In order to make a transition towards this new arrangement while the technicalities of the change are being worked out, the Board has decided that with immediate effect any new members joining the Federation as Silver members or higher will have their membership automatically extended to expire on 31st August 2023 once memberships for that period go on sale, thus giving them nearly fifteen months’ membership in place of merely a couple. The offer includes junior memberships in those categories, but does not extend to Bronze membership as that is already backdated to 1st September 2021 under existing rules; nor to members upgrading an existing membership.

Existing members should wait until their renewal notices are sent out in July before renewing their memberships.

If you need help on taking out a membership for 2021-22, you can find some help and guidance here on how to join the ECF. Please note that even if your membership is being extended you may still receive an invitation to renew your membership in July. You will not need to take any further action at that time. The Office staff will renew your membership for you, and you will receive a confirmation email when this has been done.

If you have any questions about this offer simply email the Office at [email protected] and they’ll be happy to help.

— Rob Willmoth, ECF Director of Membership