Email release from Michael Farthing

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Email release from Michael Farthing

Post by John Upham » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:29 pm

I expect most persons in this place have received:
Dear ECF member

This is an invitation to you to consider the possibility of standing for election as a representative on the ECF Council of ordinary chess players belonging to the same category of membership as yourself (so, if you are a Bronze member you would be representing the interests of all Bronze members on the Council). These positions are deliberately intended to represent ordinary members, so there is no need for representatives to be grandmasters, tournament organisers, club chairpersons or team captains.

The ECF Council is responsible for setting the organisation’s budget and membership fees and elects the Board that runs the organisation. In addition to the direct members’ representatives, the posts that this message is about, the Council also has representatives of the unions, counties, chess leagues, chess congresses and other chess organisations.

For the purpose of the election of Representatives, Direct Members are grouped into the following five categories –
(a) Honorary Life Vice Presidents, Honorary Life Members and Life Members
(b) Gold Members and Gold Junior Members
(c) Silver Members and Silver Junior Members
(d) Bronze Members and Bronze Junior Members
(e) Platinum Members

Each of these five categories is entitled to elect two representatives. If in any of the categories more than two people decide they would like to be representatives then an election will be held (by email) with the first two past the post being elected. Elected representatives serve for a year, from August until the following July. Elected representatives can stand for re-election at the end of their term of office.

Representatives must be direct members of the ECF in the category for which they are elected and must remain direct members throughout their period of office.

Direct members’ representatives have the responsibility to consult with members in their category of membership and to represent both the views and the interests of that category in meetings of the Council. This is achieved principally through an email sent to members before Council meetings and this email normally offers the opportunity for members to reply to their representative. Council normally meets twice a year (in April and October) and reasonable expenses can be reclaimed.

To be eligible, applications must be received by the Chair of Council - [email protected] - on or before Sunday 26 June 2022. Direct members may self-nominate and do not require any seconders. At this stage an election address need not be supplied. Should an election be required a period of a fortnight will be allowed for this to be supplied, and all election addresses will be posted on the website simultaneously. Election addresses received late will not be published (to prevent candidates delaying submission until after they have seen other election addresses). Elections will be conducted by email from Wednesday 12 July to Sunday 31 July.

Do not be shy about coming forward – the intention is that the post should be open to ordinary members without necessarily any other chess credentials: you do not need to be an organiser, an arbiter, a grader, a club chairman or even a team captain. Just a willingness to read up on the papers before the meetings, present the major issues to other members and take note of the feedback. Council has its excitements and controversy but at a personal level is very open: you will find yourself welcomed in. It’s not for everyone but if your interest has been raised by reading this do give it serious consideration. I shall be happy to talk to anyone seriously considering standing.

--- Michael Farthing, Chair of ECF Council
Last edited by John Upham on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

J T Melsom

Re: Press Release from Michael Farthing

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:51 pm

A positive move by Michael Farthing. Your opportunity to attend John?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 pm

John, you will be a good Rep

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:13 am

How exactly is this a "press release"? The ECF elects direct membership representatives every year (subject to the occasional tweak to the eligibility rules) the Chairman of Council is contacting all members to invite applications, as is his responsibility.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:45 am

Very interesting experience last year standing for Silver Rep and speaking to lots of people with very different view points. It is worth exploring.
HDCA President

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:17 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:13 am
How exactly is this a "press release"?
I've updated the title of this thread. Thanks for the correction Andrew.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Reyes

Re: Email release from Michael Farthing

Post by John Reyes » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50 am

I have already put myname forward as the Silver rep again
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:49 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:50 am
Good.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:12 pm

John Reyes wrote:
There were resolutions at the April Council meeting which if enacted would have barred Tim Wall from standing as Silver rep and Rob Willmoth as Gold rep. They passed, did they not?

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Why do they want to bar people standing for posts that are already very difficult to fill - were there " problems " with those particular candidates?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:28 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:12 pm
John Reyes wrote:
There were resolutions at the April Council meeting which if enacted would have barred Tim Wall from standing as Silver rep and Rob Willmoth as Gold rep. They passed, did they not?
Rob is on the board as well as Aga as well so they can’t stand as rep

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:01 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:03 pm
Why do they want to bar people standing for posts that are already very difficult to fill - were there " problems " with those particular candidates?
Most of Council felt it was clearly wrong for members of the ECF Board to double up as member reps. The question of whether a Silver member rep, for instance, should be a Silver member, is more nuanced - I cast my personal vote against - but I can see the arguments both ways.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:15 am

Hoping for two new Bronze reps who will:
a) consult ahead of Council meetings, providing guidance and informed commentary to those they represent;
b) acknowledge and action feedback appropriately; and,
c) report back to constituents on the outcomes of consultations and Council meetings.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:26 am

Ditto re Gold reps
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm

I know there 5 candidates who have put their names forward as silver members and yes I’m one of them