Tim Wall's Ukraine Resolutions

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks

Re: Tim Wall's Ukraine Resolutions

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:04 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 am
Yes, one nomination from a country that doesn't mind a) being identified as anti-Dvorkovich and b) splitting the anti-Dvorkovich vote.
My impression was that quite a lot of European federations didn't mind being identified as anti-Dvorkovich. ENG for a start.

Splitting the vote was irrelevant, since there was always going to be a runoff between the last two.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:04 am
Splitting the vote was irrelevant, since there was always going to be a runoff between the last two.
Well, Kouatly felt the first round results were important enough to withdraw before the voting, as did Short last time.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:01 am

Did you see Kouatly's presentation? He clearly regarded the whole thing as a joke.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:18 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:01 am
Did you see Kouatly's presentation? He clearly regarded the whole thing as a joke.
And? It's an even better joke if you can stay in until the first round and pick up some votes. That's the perfect reason not to withdraw.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:39 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 am
I stand by my comment that the election result is a disaster for FIDE. I cannot believe that it is in the best interests of FIDE to have Dvorkovich in charge for the next four years.
I agree that having a Russian, who was formerly a close associate of Putin, in charge will create problems for FIDE. What was the better, possible, outcome when the only other candidate reportedly didn't want the job and wasn't capable of doing it either?
Dvorkovich's re-election was indeed inevitable, but there was a better possible outcome nevertheless.

I have said previously that those who felt unable to vote for Baryshpolets should have abstained or spoilt their ballot papers.

The actual result was Dvorkovich 157, Baryshpolets 16, Absentions 5, Spoilt Papers 1

Let us suppose that the result had been Dvorkovich 97, Baryshpolets 16, Absentions 5, Spoilt Papers 61, or better still Dvorkovich 67, Baryshpolets 16, Absentions 5, Spoilt Papers 91.

That would have had two favourable consequences:

1. The Ukrainian chess community and the Ukrainian population would have been reassured that a substantial body of opinion in FIDE was on their side. As it is, they must be feeling utterly betrayed by people who they thought were their friends.

2. The celebrations in the Kremlin would have been more muted. As it is, Putin and his henchmen have practically been dancing in the streets.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 pm

Is it actually of that much significance in Russia?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Ordinarily no, but then Baryshpolets all but announced that a vote for Dvorkovich was a vote for the invasion, and that got the Kremlin's attention. I think Dvorkovich was doing his best to ignore the issue, and left to his own devices would never have framed the vote as a referendum on Ukraine the way some of the non-chess media have. That'll go down as an own goal by Baryshpolets.

On the positive side, I think that if David can analyse the result and conclude that there is a substantial body of opinion on the Ukrainians' side that didn't show up in the votes, then so can any Ukrainian who is interested.