ECF Finance Council Meeting 23 April 2022

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Thompson

Re: ECF Finance Council Meeting 23 April 2022

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:01 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:19 am
The Gold membership "consultation" arrived yesterday, two days before the meeting so leaving a very narrow window for anybody wishing to send views to do so. It contained the statement that directors acting as membership representatives had an "insight", suggesting they will oppose the motion.
It also said that most agenda items "are a give" (sic). It left me wondering whether the Gold representatives think that the content of their e-mail, and the timing of it, would satisfy their obligations under item 15 of the agenda were that to apply now.
Last edited by Ian Thompson on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:39 pm

Good Afternoon Gold Members

As most of you are aware the English Chess Federation has it finance meeting on Sat 23rd April.Most of the agenda items are self explanatory. The agenda is here for full details - https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... Agenda.pdf

Items to note are as follows

Agenda item 16 Direct Member Representatives to be in the Class they represent
Our personal view is that you do not have to be a member in the same category you are representing. it was not a long time ago that there was not a member for a particular group and a different person stepped in from another member category

Agenda Item 17. Board Members not to be Direct Member Representatives
Our personal view is that being a director and a member rep gives you very useful insight rather than the other argument of conflict of interest

Agenda Item 18 Rolling Membership
This is clearly a good idea and I think will increase membership in the long term. There will be no doubt a few teething problems, none of which are insurmountable

Agenda Item 20 Ukraine
This asked for the removal of the Russian president of Fide who is directly connect with Putin/ This seems sensible. There is however a conversation occurring whilst i write this that might slightly adjust the motion. our view is to vote for this

There are other agenda items that in our opinion are a give.

Interested to here views on all items
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm

Not only is there a clear conflict of interest in being both a director and a members' rep - on the one hand you're part of the executive, on the other hand you're representing ordinary citizens - but I think there's also an issue in that being a members' rep requires quite a bit of effort to do well and being a director requires significantly more effort and doing the two together... well, that must be a huge amount of work for one person.

I'd be interested to know if any fellow Bronze members have received a consultation message from the Bronze members' reps. I also didn't receive an acknowledgement of the feedback (at least a page of text) I provided for the last meeting or a report of the last meeting.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Can anybody amend the motion so that it says normally a representative should not be considered to be a mandated delegate but we will make an exception for Rob Willmoth
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm

Angus French wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm
Not only is there a clear conflict of interest in being both a director and a members' rep - on the one hand you're part of the executive, on the other hand you're representing ordinary citizens - but I think there's also an issue in that being a members' rep requires quite a bit of effort to do well and being a director requires significantly more effort and doing the two together... well, that must be a huge amount of work for one person.
I note the second point, no argument there.

But on the first, I don't really see conflict of interest between member rep and director as much worse than, for example 4NCL and Director or London Chess Classic and Director. On the basis conflicts of interest are inevitable, is it really necessary to have this rule?

I might well vote for someone other than Rob myself, but I think it is fine to let the electorate decide whether conflicts of interest problematic or not.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:16 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm
I don't really see conflict of interest between member rep and director
Selective quote I know. Yesterday I got an email from, apparently, the Membership Director saying that 'we recommend' and similar phrases throughout. However, it was not a Board recommendation as implied but one from the Gold Rep and other unnamed people.
(In fairness it was an office slip but confusing none the less. THe email was reissued correctly after I queried it)

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:40 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:16 pm
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:20 pm
I don't really see conflict of interest between member rep and director
Selective quote I know.
and I understand intended humorously. But still, my point is almost anyone suitable for an ECF Director role has conflicts of interests because they are associated with other chess organisations. I'm not sure why this one is so much worse that we need a rule barring it.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:54 pm

The meeting now in progress, we are discussing whether a recording should be published

Stewart Reuben's comment that the meetings are inevitably leaked reminded me to post here.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:01 pm

should be a fun meeting Paul

no show so far

from the board
Julian Clissord

Aga and Malcolm will join in zoom later

Reps
Tim wall
Gerry walsh - Ap
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:13 pm

on the finance meeting

the Sponsonship of Chessable has asked to not tell us the figures due to a disclosure and that is understand

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:20 pm

budget and fees passed

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:22 pm

Nothing substantive added to the papers - generally finances better than expected and the previously proposed membership increases not needed. Some additional spending on women's and international chess.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:28 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:54 pm
The meeting now in progress, we are discussing whether a recording should be published
What was the decision?

If in favour, will the current meeting be viewable live, as stated in the Agenda?

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:33 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:28 pm
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:54 pm
What was the decision?

If in favour, will the current meeting be viewable live, as stated in the Agenda?
nope the meeting won't be as it fail on the hand vote

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:47 pm

motion 18 has been moved up the order and we are talking about it now