ECF meeting reports

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF meeting reports

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:06 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:56 pm
Board consensus, if I read the minutes correctly, is to combine bronze/silver/gold but with 'grandfathering' for existing bronze. Is that how others read it?
I suspect a majority rather than a consensus. I don't know why Congress representatives would support grandfathering as the proposed rule tells players they lose their concession if they enter a Congress.

There is also this comment
The Board further noted that existing ECF funding of international chess could potentially be redirected to grassroots chess.
It might be necessary to suggest to the Board that a redirection to "grassroots" chess might involve not trying to extract so much money from it for the Board's pet projects. But is that lilkely?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:06 pm
I don't know why Congress representatives would support grandfathering as the proposed rule tells players they lose their concession if they enter a Congress.
Where does it say that? I believe the opposite is true.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:06 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:56 pm
Board consensus, if I read the minutes correctly, is to combine bronze/silver/gold but with 'grandfathering' for existing bronze. Is that how others read it?
I suspect a majority rather than a consensus. I don't know why Congress representatives would support grandfathering as the proposed rule tells players they lose their concession if they enter a Congress.

There is also this comment
The Board further noted that existing ECF funding of international chess could potentially be redirected to grassroots chess.
It might be necessary to suggest to the Board that a redirection to "grassroots" chess might involve not trying to extract so much money from it for the Board's pet projects. But is that lilkely?
The Board presumably thinks that players would rather play a Congress even though it means losing the concession.

I have already posted on here and in a pm to Mike Truran that if it goes through I won’t play any congresses in future, at least not in England.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:43 pm
I understood the rule to be that if you upgrade to Silver/Gold by entering a Congress or otherwise, you cannot go back to concessionary Bronze. Is that not correct? But then the treatment of non-members or the wrong type of member entering a Congress isn't entirely clear.

It won't matter if the Council voters say "none of the above" to the Board proposals.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:10 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
I understood the rule to be that if you upgrade to Silver/Gold by entering a Congress or otherwise, you cannot go back to concessionary Bronze. Is that not correct? But then the treatment of non-members or the wrong type of member entering a Congress isn't entirely clear.

It won't matter if the Council voters say "none of the above" to the Board proposals.
The Board appear to be trying to sneak through one set of proposals without giving any details under cover of another set of proposals.

If this isn’t the intention perhaps the Board should clarify what is intended and even rerun the consultation exercise.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:48 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:

The Board appear to be trying to sneak through one set of proposals without giving any details under cover of another set of proposals.

If this isn’t the intention perhaps the Board should clarify what is intended and even rerun the consultation exercise.
What's not clear in:

"Bronze members would therefore be in a similar position under Option 1 as under present arrangements, under which they can either upgrade to Silver/Gold or pay a £9/£12 pay to play fee to play in a congress."?

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:06 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:48 pm
Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:

What's not clear in:

"Bronze members would therefore be in a similar position under Option 1 as under present arrangements, under which they can either upgrade to Silver/Gold or pay a £9/£12 pay to play fee to play in a congress."?
If the Board’s proposals are clear why do Roger and Nick have different interpretations of them?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:00 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
What's not clear in:

Can they revert back to Bronze the following season or membership year? If not, this isn't a similar position to the present arrangement where pay to play is also an automatic upgrade.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:18 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
What's not clear in:

I don't know. I suppose a lawyer could argue that the two options are in fact exactly the same, so pay to play gives up rights, but that is obviously not the idea.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:19 pm

Unfortunately we have the rather silly situation that ECF directors aren't allowed to respond here to clarify but I imagine that, if someone PM'd Mike Truran or for that matter another director, he'd be happy to respond.

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:19 pm
Unfortunately we have the rather silly situation that ECF directors aren't allowed to respond here to clarify but I imagine that, if someone PM'd Mike Truran or for that matter another director, he'd be happy to respond.
Or not - I have exchanged PMs with Mike Truran

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm
Curious. The key clause, it has been pointed out to me, is ‘Existing Bronze members outside the new membership scheme will lose their Bronze membership status if, for example, their membership lapses, or if they upgrade to the new single rate to play congress chess. Council should note that in practice Bronze members would therefore be in a similar position under Option 1 as under present arrangements, under which they can either upgrade to Silver/Gold or pay a £9/£12 pay to play fee to play in a congress’. In short, 'grandfathered' bronzes can remain so if they don't upgrade but instead elect the P2P route into congresses. (And thanks to MT for assistance).

Ian Jamieson

Post by Ian Jamieson » Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:27 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm
Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:41 pm
Curious. The key clause, it has been pointed out to me, is ‘Existing Bronze members outside the new membership scheme will lose their Bronze membership status if, for example, their membership lapses, or if they upgrade to the new single rate to play congress chess. Council should note that in practice Bronze members would therefore be in a similar position under Option 1 as under present arrangements, under which they can either upgrade to Silver/Gold or pay a £9/£12 pay to play fee to play in a congress’. In short, 'grandfathered' bronzes can remain so if they don't upgrade but instead elect the P2P route into congresses. (And thanks to MT for assistance).
That’s more than MT pointed out to me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:09 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:52 pm
In short, 'grandfathered' bronzes can remain so if they don't upgrade but instead elect the P2P route into congresses.
Congress organisers would have thought the upgrade was automatic. Some players may even want it that way. More wording to put on Congress entry forms.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:30 am

Ian Jamieson wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:27 pm
That’s more than MT pointed out to me.
It's not inconceivable that he wondered why we hadn't read (or understood) the paragraph in question for ourselves. If so, I see his point.