Director of Women’s Chess 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Fenella Headlong
56%
Aga Milewska
39%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 41

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:07 am

More voting.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Cooksey

Re: Director of Women’s Chess 2021

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am

Is Fenella's campaign slogan "I wasn't nominated by Chris"?

Bob Clark

Post by Bob Clark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am
Is Fenella's campaign slogan "I wasn't nominated by Chris"?
It’s more likely to be I’ll do everything Mike tells me to do.

I’m not sure of the point of these polls before the election addresses are published, when will that happen?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am

You're a CSC guy, aren't you Bob?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am
What would that mean to you Justin if the reply was

1. Yes
2. No

?

Is this an attempt to decide which "side" people are on?
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am

I don't know if what Bob said is a caricature, but it's certainly enough to get me to vote for Fenella.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am

Bob Clark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 am

Have you ever met Fenella, Bob? I very much doubt it is true as Fenella is quite capable of taking her own decisions.

Can we raise the standard please and stick to positive campaigning "what the candidates have achieved in the past and will they will do in the future" rather than insults. The ECF has a long history of petty squabbles which has largely stopped under Mike Truran's leadership. It would be sad to see that progress reversed.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:04 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am
Can we raise the standard please and stick to positive campaigning "what the candidates have achieved in the past and will they will do in the future" rather than insults.
I agree stick to this point people.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am
Bob Clark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 am

Have you ever met Fenella, Bob? I very much doubt it is true as Fenella is quite capable of taking her own decisions.

Can we raise the standard please and stick to positive campaigning "what the candidates have achieved in the past and will they will do in the future" rather than insults. The ECF has a long history of petty squabbles which has largely stopped under Mike Truran's leadership. It would be sad to see that progress reversed.
Definitely a post for the "like" button, if this forum had one.

It's perhaps worth noting that in 2016 when Phil Ehr's leadership was being challenged, a major criticism was that he expected other directors to "do as he said", or more specifically that he would make the decisions and that the role of the directors was to implement them. At that time this was defended as how a board of directors was supposed to work and that the authority of the CEO should prevail.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:18 am

I was at university with Fenella. She is more than capable of making her own decisions. I don't know Aga, but the suggestion that female candidates can't act independently of male colleagues needs to be put firmly in its place.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:18 am
but the suggestion that female candidates can't act independently of male colleagues needs to be put firmly in its place.
It would do if that was was the suggestion, but there isn't any reason to think that it is.

The point is whether the candidates' are independent of a candidate for CEO. Gender not being relevant. In the past people have, for example, raised similar points about Chris Fegan, John Foley, Alex Holowczak and Bob Clark (again just a few posts up in this thread) and probably others too with respect to CSC (and by extension Malcolm Pein) connections.

The independence of a candidate is a valid issue to raise - which of course is not at all the same thing as saying that association means non-independence can be assumed.

As it happens, btw, I'm in the opposite position to you. I know Aga (Agnieszka) and know her to be hugely capable but I don't know Fenella at all.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am
As it happens, btw, I'm in the opposite position to you. I know Aga (Agnieszka) and know her to be hugely capable but I don't know Fenella at all.
I know both candidates despite not knowingly attending University with either.

They are both excellent candidates and I'm sure would work well with either CEO candidate.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Bob Clark

Post by Bob Clark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:11 pm

Well an intended slightly humorous comment in reply to Paul’s comment has certainly woken the trolls up.
If you had read the full comment I asked when the election addresses would be published and asked how it was possible to vote for a candidate without reading these first, a comment that still stands.
JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:14 am
You question is irrelevant but for the record.
I no longer work for or have any contact with CSC, my opinions are my own, and irrelevant as I’m not a member of the ecf.

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, see point above re election addresses.
Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:24 am
I don't know if what Bob said is a caricature, but it's certainly enough to get me to vote for Fenella.
Do you have a vote?
J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:18 am
I was at university with Fenella. She is more than capable of making her own decisions. I don't know Aga, but the suggestion that female candidates can't act independently of male colleagues needs to be put firmly in its place.
I never said that, as Jonathan has already pointed out. You should remove your post.

If you want to discuss policy, and again until we read the election addresses it’s difficult.

But as a starter for 10

During Mike’s time as CEO, the ECF has made an appalling decision to remove the option of three year membership renewals

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Bob

Happy to accept your reassurance that no inference in respect of gender should be read into your remarks. I won't be deleting the post as the point remains true in a wider sense, and has been commented on by others.

Perhaps you would consider removing the reference to trolls - I don't think you actually know what it means.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:24 pm

I thought it was obvious that I meant the vote at the top of this thread, which, although not official, may be indicative.