Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm

It was me who brought the "rumour" on to the forum but I have heard it from several different sources. If it is inaccurate then perhaps Malcolm (or somebody in his team) can set the record straight and I will apologise and withdraw.

In any case we have an unprecedented situation in this election. If Malcolm wins then he must vacate the international director role so asking for his succession plan is surely not unreasonable. And if he loses will he still feel able to serve with Mike on the board?
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm

Forgive me for asking
Does everyone get a vote in the election?
How does the election work?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:28 pm
I have heard it reported that Malcolm Pein, if elected, will vacate the CEO post as soon as he can appoint a successor.
Andrew,

Please could you detail where you have read / heard these reports?

I would like to read and / or listen to them.

J.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm
Forgive me for asking
NO you don't get to vote. It's mostly only organisations that get the votes and only then if they send a representative to the AGM or appoint a proxy who will be attending.

There are "Direct Member Representatives" who supposedly represent individuals, but five of them already seem to have decided how to vote without public consultation.

If you have the patience, there's fifteen years or more of material on the site about ECF elections.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Forgive me for asking
The voting register for the election can be found here https://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/e ... and-board/ Individual members do not have a direct vote but most of us will have several indirect ones; the first through the ECF delegate for your local league (if they are a member organisation - not all are) and the second through your direct member representatives. Neither are obliged to go with the majority vote but should be challenged and held accountable if not.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:27 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I have heard it reported that Malcolm Pein, if elected, will vacate the CEO post as soon as he can appoint a successor.
Andrew,

Please could you detail where you have read / heard these reports?

I would like to read and / or listen to them.

J.
Don't you have sources yourself? You are normally so up to speed it makes Woodward and Bernstein look amateur.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I have heard it reported that Malcolm Pein, if elected, will vacate the CEO post as soon as he can appoint a successor. I sincerely hope that this is not the case but it would be useful if Malcolm could confirm it. In any case the question of what will happen to the International Directorship if Malcolm vacates it remains unanswered.
Interesting! I did wonder whether a certain remark by a certain Tim was more than a slip of the tongue 🤔
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:33 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Forgive me for asking
NO you don't get to vote. It's mostly only organisations that get the votes and only then if they send a representative to the AGM or appoint a proxy who will be attending.

There are "Direct Member Representatives" who supposedly represent individuals, but five of them already seem to have decided how to vote without public consultation.

If you have the patience, there's fifteen years or more of material on the site about ECF elections.
I like to go on record that I always have gone with the majority of what the members tell me to vote,

My email to the silver members will start with this

As your representative, I want to hear your views as to how to cast your votes, so please let me know your thoughts.

I have always voted on how I was told as I want to make sure the voice of the voiceless is use

I can’t comment on other members rep but I been accused by my fellow rep in the pass of saying I’m never vote against some people and I just laugh

I always said this “I’m in no one camp and I always judge people on face value! I won’t tell anyone how to vote as it is their choice and I’m happy to give my options but it the league and proxy that I support to make their decision as I’m actions on what I’m told to”
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:03 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
If Malcolm wins then he must vacate the international director role so asking for his succession plan is surely not unreasonable.
Perhaps he sees no need for a replacement in the international director role.

A cunning plan might have Malcolm if elected as CEO resign almost immediately in favour of person X. Malcolm is then reappointed to the vacant international role.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:54 pm
And we have seen the sort of people Malcolm surrounds himself with
Just to note again that for me, not that I have a vote, "the sort of people Malcolm surrounds himself with" is pretty much the sole issue in the election.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:42 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
It was me who brought the "rumour" on to the forum but I have heard it from several different sources. If it is inaccurate then perhaps Malcolm (or somebody in his team) can set the record straight and I will apologise and withdraw.

In any case we have an unprecedented situation in this election. If Malcolm wins then he must vacate the international director role so asking for his succession plan is surely not unreasonable. And if he loses will he still feel able to serve with Mike on the board?
Should you perhaps name the sources Andrew?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I've been told that Malcom had said this; if so, that would account for how you've heard it from multiple sources
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:21 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I've been told that Malcom had said this; if so, that would account for how you've heard it from multiple sources
Isn't this the rumour started by CJ when Malcolm stood for non-executive director many years ago?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:44 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I have heard this report from different people who currently hold votes on council.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:02 am

This is tricky. I generally warn people who email or PM me suggesting things I say that it would be better if they posted here themselves. Usually with a warning that I might make further messages public.

I've been doing this at least a decade, since Sean Hewitt sent me the details of a proposal being discussed and I felt I had to stop posting about it as a result.

I had heard this rumour. I'd describe it as an allegation really - since was presented as a concern about Malcolm's candidacy. But it was sent to the me as ECF Delegate, and as we all always say postings here are my personal views and are not the representative of, etc...

That said I don't think ECF Delegates should be keeping things secret from the organisations they represent. So if I have to share it with a large number of people, including some in the CSC camp, I think probably no harm to the candidates if I post things here.

I'll pause here for views... (hello Mike, Chris...)