Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

JustinHorton

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am
Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:22 am

Openness and democracy, yes. But a complaints process is different. No organisation worth its salt allows public discussion of a complaint before the outcome is known. That's good governance, not 'sweeping under the carpet'.
Nick

You seem to forget that you have been very happy to discuss all this in public on here before the process is over and the appeal has been heard.

You cannot have it both ways I am afraid.

Chris
This is absolute nonsense of course.

The matter was raised, in the first place, not by Nick Ivell but by Chris Fegan.

The outcome of the process has been properly put into the public domain, not by Nick Ivell but by the ECF. The appeal (which was unknown to the public, before now) is subsequent to that and the idea that anybody is prematurely discussing the process is laughable.

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:15 am
The ECF needs to clear its "Augean stables".
Luvly.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:41 am

Really, if there are any more questions to be put to Malcolm Pein on BCN maybe they ought to be about the behaviour of people who are in his employment.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:49 am

Angus French wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:33 am
[
NEDs report to the 2021 AGM wrote:4.10 This resulted in the Governance Committee writing to the NEDs to suggest that action be taken in respect of the posts citing various breaches of the duties by [Chris Fegan].
These included:
(i) Breach of confidentiality as a director.
(ii) Breach of the agreed board policy on prohibiting the use of social med without the prior consent of the CEO.
(iii) Bringing the board into disrepute contrary to Paragraph 2.1 of Regulation 4.
(iv) Denigrating a colleague (in contravention of the Code of Conduct for Board members).
(v) Failing to act collegiately (also in contravention of the Code of Conduct).

4.11 The NEDs raised the matter with CF. At the time of writing there has been no adequate response.
Angus

Mr Clissold has had numerous responses to his banal emails to me but they just do not chime with his "Kangarooo court" mentality and his desire to have me hung, drawn and quartered without a "fair trial or just process".

I have reminded him of the Moscow Show Trials of the 1930's and that we normally do things somewhat differently in the UK.

I intend to deal with all these matters in full detail at the forthcoming AGM and suggest that you book an early ringside seat as it will be very lively indeed.

Chris

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:56 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 am
I therefore draw attention to the comments made about Chris Fegan in the NEDs report.
The NED's report is at
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... l-2021.pdf

I think it discloses new information about the existence of a more recent complaint.
4.8 The second complaint was made by Chris Fegan (CF) on 30th August 2021 and is
ongoing at the date of this report.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am

Chris

Any idea why so many find it difficult to see you as a victim here or as a passionate campaigner against injustice? Due process should indeed be afforded to all, but unless there are exceptional circumstances (not immediately apparent) Directors should abide by the regulations in place. Campaigning to change them is no excuse to disregard them.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:00 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:49 am
I have reminded him of the Moscow Show Trials of the 1930's
Luvly
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:13 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am
Chris

Any idea why so many find it difficult to see you as a victim here or as a passionate campaigner against injustice? Due process should indeed be afforded to all, but unless there are exceptional circumstances (not immediately apparent) Directors should abide by the regulations in place. Campaigning to change them is no excuse to disregard them.
Mr Melsom

I understand the issue and the in-built bias of some on the Forum like Mr Horton against me, but the ECF Board has been so appalling in the last few years and the "in house" secrecy and redacting of basic information at every turn is something that I just fundamentally disagree with and I have brought this up meeting after meeting,after meeting.

I have a duty to the wider membership who elected me and eventually "enough is enough", unfortunately some others on the Board think they are a law unto themselves.

This is why I talk about the need for an ECF Whistleblowing policy in my election statement for Chair of Governance.

I believe my record in office as Director of Women's Chess is strong and this has been done despite the constant attacks on me by the Chair of the Board over the last 3 years when I have tried to argue for basic levels of debate and democracy within the Board.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:13 am

I understand the issue and the in-built bias of some on the Forum like Mr Horton against me
It's because you're a bully, Chris.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:16 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am
Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:13 am

I understand the issue and the in-built bias of some on the Forum like Mr Horton against me
It's because you're a bully, Chris.
Absolute rubbish, I wonder what people think of you?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:18 am

I dunno Chris, but I'm not standing for office while shrieking about the Moscow Trials.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 am

I am struggling to understand which part of the 'wider membership' supports Directors breaking regulations that they don't like, and I don't really understand why Chris hasn't brought forward his proposals during his extended time on the ECF scene rather than now. As Chris was the only candidate for his current Directorship I don't really see any real justification for claiming he is a voice for the wider membership at all. Indeed Chris has been rejected by the membership in contested elections. I do see that the disharmony on the Board in recent years has been coincident with the participation of certain players, and whilst I don't know the participants terribly well, don't really believe Chris to be an innocent party.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:48 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 am
Indeed Chris has been rejected by the membership in contested elections
Nope, not correct as far as I can recall.

If my memory serves I have won every contested election I have ever fought at an ECF AGM, having said that my memory is not what it once was, so I am happy to be corrected.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:58 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:48 am
If my memory serves I have won every contested election I have ever fought at an ECF AGM, having said that my memory is not what it once was, so I am happy to be corrected.
Well this time the way you are coming across maybe a Eurovision song contest entry would be a stronger bet.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Seems I was confused. It is correct I think to say that you have not won a contested election - the election to your current Directorship being uncontested. I take it you don't wish to comment on substantive issues such as why propose these governance changes now? And why do you need a formal post to do so? It could be done on the more relevant thread if you wish, but I suspect you want to hit and run rather than stop for discussion.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:05 pm

It occurs to me that if Julian really wanted to nobble Chris he would propose a rule where there was exception so Chris could contribute to this forum.