Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Chris Goodall

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:37 pm
if he plans to serve a full term as CEO
If you ask a politician whether he plans to do something, he'll say "I have no plans to...", which rules nothing out. He might be intending to resign next week, but hadn't decided whether it'll be Monday or Tuesday.

If I could ask a question to Malcolm that he was compelled to answer, it would be "is there any possible scenario where you would step aside from the ECF before the end of your term, but remain CEO of CSC?" That rules out "well I could get hit by a bus". Then if he starts his answer with "I have no plans..." we'll know he's deliberately not ruling it out.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm

John Swain wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:39 pm
and the invitation for ECF members to express their views to some of their Direct Members' Representatives
There hasn't been a general invitation and given that with few exceptions the Direct Member Representatives have already endorsed candidates by being on the nomination lists, do we think such an invite is likely?

Unless they have clear evidence of a preference by individual members, those in the privileged position of having multiple votes by virtue of their DM Rep positions should be cautious about expressing public support for one candidate against another.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:26 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm
given that with few exceptions the Direct Member Representatives have already endorsed candidates by being on the nomination lists
Didn't we decide that nominating someone wasn't an endorsement, it was just a democratic gesture?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pm
John Swain wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:39 pm
and the invitation for ECF members to express their views to some of their Direct Members' Representatives
There hasn't been a general invitation and given that with few exceptions the Direct Member Representatives have already endorsed candidates by being on the nomination lists, do we think such an invite is likely?
I contacted the Gold representatives this morning and was assured that members' opinions will be canvassed.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 pm

reps and delegates consult

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am

My campaign slogan for ECF Delegate is "Paul, going to ECF meetings so you don't have to". So I am not expecting a flood of responses to my consultation. But still, agree with Nick, it is worth asking.

I understand why people are trying to draft questions here and in the other threads. But frankly I don't think it is possible to get any reasonably astute person to reveal something they would prefer not to with a single question. Even an expert political interviewer needs a few follow ups, and the format of ECF meetings does not allow a Today show sort of interrogation.

But on the matter of Malcolm's availability to do the role, since Mike has raised it directly if Malcolm does not respond, he knows Council will likely make inferences from his silence.

The other notable theme of campaigning from Mike is that he is following Council's votes on matters like PIF funding. That struck me as quite a clever point, since both challenges some of the specifics and implies he is Council's servant and Malcolm wishes to be its master. I suspect that will be popular with the electorate.

Malcolm indicated on Twitter he was intending to issue a full manifesto, so will be interesting to see what he addresses and raises in that document.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 am

It will be interesting to see if he addresses the behaviour of his sidekicks
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 am

Haven't there been instances where Directors have effectively declined to give proper answers at Council meetings? Council may be a bit tiresome, but it remains important that those elected remain accountable.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 am

J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 am
Haven't there been instances where Directors have effectively declined to give proper answers at Council meetings?
Malcolm has been pressed to give a breakdown of International expenditure (Olympiads and European Teams) between Open and Women's teams. Arguably the cost of Women's teams could be regarded as part of the support costs for Women's chess. I don't think any such breakdown has ever been given.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:39 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 am
Malcolm has been pressed to give a breakdown of International expenditure (Olympiads and European Teams) between Open and Women's teams. Arguably the cost of Women's teams could be regarded as part of the support costs for Women's chess. I don't think any such breakdown has ever been given.
I remember Angus's document vividly. Malcolm all but laughed at Angus for asking the question. He said it was nothing for the peasants to worry their little heads about.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am

I actually had some sympathy for Malcolm in that situation. My impression was that Angus was pushing for the salaries of individual players to be put in the public domain to be picked over, something that I consider a confidential matter.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am
My impression was that Angus was pushing for the salaries of individual players to be put in the public domain to be picked over, something that I consider a confidential matter.
I am certain that was not was Angus was pushing for - he was asking primarily for a breakdown between between the Open and Women's teams, something which is nowadays considered important.

As it happens, I don't see why ECF members should not be given details of who is in receipt of their membership fees. It is now accepted that BBC licence fee payers have the right to know how much Gary Lineker gets, even if there isn't much they can do about it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:17 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:50 am
My impression was that Angus was pushing for the salaries of individual players to be put in the public domain
Your "impression", based on specifically what?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:26 am

"Impressions" are not specific, Justin - that's what the word is deliberately there to apply. Sometimes can't we remember that this is a discussion forum not a Court of Law?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:29 am

We could, and we could also remember that if you characterise what somebody is saying incorrectly it's reasonable to draw attention to that.

(Incidentally you seem to be confusing what an impression is with what it is based on.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com