Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Nick Grey

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:45 pm

16 oct.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 am

The NED report makes interesting reading. Take some time off from the Sunday papers, people, and give it a scan! Even 'a diagonale' is better than nothing.

The censuring of Chris Fegan's behaviour is clear. Indeed, they haven't had an 'adequate response' from him. He has described the NEDs as a kangaroo court and remains a candidate for chair of governance.

But this is the CEO thread. Who does Malcolm support in this dispute? Chris or the NEDs?

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 am
The NED report makes interesting reading. Take some time off from the Sunday papers, people, and give it a scan! Even 'a diagonale' is better than nothing.

The censuring of Chris Fegan's behaviour is clear. Indeed, they haven't had an 'adequate response' from him. He has described the NEDs as a kangaroo court and remains a candidate for chair of governance.

But this is the CEO thread. Who does Malcolm support in this dispute? Chris or the NEDs?
Yet again we see a repeat of the same old smear stories and the ongoing dirty trick campaign from the Truran camp-change the record and the one trick pony attacks as it is getting increasingly boring.

Cone to the AGM Nick and actually do something for the ECF for the first time in your life and where you will hear the full truth which will be told to the ECF Council of the disgraceful behaviour within the ECF Board by certain individuals over the last 2 years instead of sitting at home in your armchair in your pyjamas with your Earl Grey and disseminating Mike's latest propaganda. ECF Governance is broken and needs urgent repair

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:42 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 am
Nick Ivell wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 am
Yet again we see a repeat of the same old smear stories and the ongoing dirty trick campaign from the Truran camp-change the record and the one trick pony attacks as it is getting increasingly boring.

Cone to the AGM Nick and actually do something for the ECF for the first time in your life and where you will hear the full truth which will be told to the ECF Council of the disgraceful behaviour within the ECF Board by certain individuals over the last 2 years instead of sitting at home in your armchair in your pyjamas with your Earl Grey and disseminating Mike's latest propaganda. ECF Governance is broken and needs urgent repair
Are you saying the NEDs have issued a report that they do not believe to be accurate?

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:53 am

I just asked a question. And Earl Grey is not my favourite tea.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Cone to the AGM Nick and actually do something for the ECF for the first time in your life and where you will hear the full truth which will be told to the ECF Council of the disgraceful behaviour within the ECF Board by certain individuals over the last 2 years instead of sitting at home in your armchair in your pyjamas with your Earl Grey and disseminating Mike's latest propaganda.
More to the point, if you vote for Malcolm and Chris then this sort of thing will be standard official Board behaviour from then on. Is this really how we want our representatives to conduct themselves?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Thomas Rendle

Post by Thomas Rendle » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 am

One of the depressing things about this election is that Malcolm's ideas deserve to be judged on their merits, instead it's becoming harder to do so with the style of campaigning we have seen recently.

I don't really have any influence, beyond so far responding to the Gold Members consultation for one of the two contested elections. Hopefully the CEO election will look clearer over the next couple of weeks.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:23 am

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:53 am
I have a similar preference to Jean-Luc Pickard in that respect.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 am
Malcolm's ideas deserve to be judged on their merits
What are Malcolm's ideas though?

The ECF albeit indirectly through the BCF PIF has a certain amount of inherited wealth invested in stock market instruments. Is it Malcolm's plan to cash most or all of it and spend it on development officers, Norm tournaments, international teams etc? That's a policy decision which can be taken independently of the person of CEO, but with the obvious risk that when it's gone it's gone.

The current strategy has been to conserve the wealth for the future, mostly only spending the investment return. Moving it to the Chess Trust is a tax saving wheeze to take advantage of the exemptions available to charities. The cost involved is that it places restrictions on how and where funds can be spent.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am

John Upham wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:23 am
Nick Ivell wrote:
I thought Chris was making a Bond Q reference to be honest but maybe not.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
disseminating Mike's latest propaganda.
Tim Wall came up with that line as well. What did happen to the idea of dismissing Alex H with an election challenge? Seemingly he's back in Malcolm's good books, which seem to miss out the Finance Director.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:54 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am
John Upham wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:23 am
Nick Ivell wrote:
Carl

I was and I was trying to be "culturally relevant" as "No Time to Die" is now (eventually) almost in the cinemas

Chris

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:12 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2IJdfxWtPM for details
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Read

Post by Matthew Read » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:26 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a friend of Malcolm's who has also worked for him over the years. I want to make it clear I am assisting his campaign pro bono as I believe he has been the most positive force in UK chess for the last 10 years. I intend over the next couple of weeks to post a few campaign messages from Malcolm. One thing Malcolm wants to put to bed is some misinformation from the Truran camp that he did not try to resolve their policy differences. There were several overtures over the summer, both direct and via the good offices of NED Stephen Woodhouse. The attached redacted ECF Board correspondence refers.

Malcolm wants to make it clear he believes a compromise is still possible.

Thanks,

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:50 pm

Publishing emails now this one is getting worse :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard