Nominations 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Alan Kennedy

Re: Nominations 2021

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm
I and other Board members have had to put up with tantrums, numerous threats to resign and a litany of other unprofessional interactions with some members of the Board and the latest of these is the subject of a formal Official Code of Conduct Complaint under ECF Regulation 4 and ECF Regulation 5 which has been submitted by a fellow Director.
I fail to see the advantage of English chess of making such arguments so personal. Can we not stick to positive campaigning (tell us what you would do) and then it should be self evident how much you can (or cannot benefit) from your policies. Your description Mike Truran as unprofessional is not something a recognise. Indeed i would suggest the way he has brought a degree of decorum to the governance of the English chess federation is very professional. I would be interested to know the view of the chairman of the governamce committee on whether your disclosure of the nature of discussions breaches the implied duty of confidentiality of a board member. Did you take advice on the issue before publishing? I suspect your approach lies near the bottom of Graham's hierarchy of disagreement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grah ... sagreement - Chris any thoughts on how elections should be conducted professionally.

In respect of the election, members of the ECF may well want to read the excellent blog around the time of the toxic discussion http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... thing.html to remind themselves what English chess used to be like before Mike Truran became chief executive. I would be concerned if returned to the former days of washing dirty linen in public. Chris did you agree with the toxic comment?

Finally, for those of you do not know Mike Truran well you might like to see what he does for chess when the spotlight is not on him. The first few minutes of a video I published at the start of the pandemic might be helpful https://bit.ly/2xU0QsN. Also there is some background about his activities in Witney chess club in our English chess federation club of the year submission in 2013 https://bit.ly/ecf2012coty

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:35 pm

There were always loads of arguments in the old days, just not so public.
Yes, very much this. And even in the pre-internet age, they were often quite visible enough.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:54 pm

The ECF itself was founded in 2005, so is a year and a bit older than this forum which dates to 2006. There was a precursor to ecforum covering similar ground, namely a forum hosted by the atticus club of Liverpool. Whilst the atticus forum was more orientated towards local and NCCU issues also promoting the tournaments in Liverpool during 2006 to 2008, it did however discuss national issues from time to time.

Rows online between different factions and personalities within English chess are nothing new. Even the premise that "The ECF has a million pounds, let's spend it now" was advocated fifteen years ago.

An advantage of forums is that it's no longer possible to say something to one audience and the opposite to another. Or rather it remains possible, but that runs the serious danger of being leaked by anyone not feeling bound by confidentiality.

Whatever doubts may be expressed about the three incumbents seeking re-election, in the absence of direct challenge, "not this candidate" would seem unlikely to have much chance of success.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:36 am

The Atticus forum was fantastic! I miss it.

Back to the present. Of what heinous crimes is Mr Truran (the model of a true professional) accused?

That of not suffering fools gladly?

Perhaps we need more of this - as exemplified indeed by the late, great Atticus forum.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:18 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:02 pm
Chris Fegan wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm
I and other Board members have had to put up with tantrums, numerous threats to resign and a litany of other unprofessional interactions with some members of the Board and the latest of these is the subject of a formal Official Code of Conduct Complaint under ECF Regulation 4 and ECF Regulation 5 which has been submitted by a fellow Director.
I fail to see the advantage of English chess of making such arguments so personal. Can we not stick to positive campaigning (tell us what you would do) and then it should be self evident how much you can (or cannot benefit) from your policies. Your description Mike Truran as unprofessional is not something a recognise. Indeed i would suggest the way he has brought a degree of decorum to the governance of the English chess federation is very professional. I would be interested to know the view of the chairman of the governamce committee on whether your disclosure of the nature of discussions breaches the implied duty of confidentiality of a board member. Did you take advice on the issue before publishing? I suspect your approach lies near the bottom of Graham's hierarchy of disagreement https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Grah ... sagreement - Chris any thoughts on how elections should be conducted professionally.

Alan

Many thanks for your comments.

You ask me how elections should be conducted.

I think it is important that voters should know how an individual, who is seeking re-election to the most senior post in an organisation, has conducted themselves whilst in office. This applies to Mike Truran as much as it applies to Boris Johnson.

I do not know how your interactions with Mike have been but I doubt that most individuals who have served on the ECF Board in the last 3 years would put the words “Mike Truran” and “decorum” in the same sentence.

I and others have had to repeatedly put up with the behaviour from him that I have already previously outlined during Board meetings and in verbal and written correspondence.

His unacceptable behaviour has often been the subject of discussion amongst Board members.

However, the fact that he has chosen to seek re-election, despite being advised not to, and his latest and unforgivable personal attack on a fellow Board member and which is the subject of an ongoing formal Complaint under ECF Regulations are the “straw that broke the camels back”

The ECF Board spent 45 minutes of a scheduled 2-hour meeting disussing his behaviour at the last Board meeting and I suspect that you will not find a single ECF Director who will defend him over this episode.

Chris

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am

Chris Fegan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:18 am
Have you ever been elected by members Chris have you just not always been nominated by the board?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:01 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:53 am
Chris Fegan wrote:
Have you ever been elected by members Chris have you just not always been nominated by the board?
Carl

Thanks for your question.

I have only stood once for election at an ECF AGM in 2018 for the post of Director Women's Chess and was elected with 279 votes for and one against.

I promised at the time that I would seek to find an ECF Women member to replace me and if I could then I would not seek re-election. I have found a women willing to do the job and she has been "shadowing me" for the last 12 months or so as Alternate Director and therefore I am honouring my promise by not seeking re-election.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
his latest and unforgivable personal attack
As ever with Chris Fegan the concept of projection will be helpful to us here
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:

I think it is important that voters should know how an individual, who is seeking re-election to the most senior post in an organisation, has conducted themselves whilst in office. This applies to Mike Truran as much as it applies to Boris Johnson.

I do not know how your interactions with Mike have been but I doubt that most individuals who have served on the ECF Board in the last 3 years would put the words “Mike Truran” and “decorum” in the same sentence.

I and others have had to repeatedly put up with the behaviour from him that I have already previously outlined during Board meetings and in verbal and written correspondence.

His unacceptable behaviour has often been the subject of discussion amongst Board members.

However, the fact that he has chosen to seek re-election, despite being advised not to, and his latest and unforgivable personal attack on a fellow Board member and which is the subject of an ongoing formal Complaint under ECF Regulations are the “straw that broke the camels back”

The ECF Board spent 45 minutes of a scheduled 2-hour meeting disussing his behaviour at the last Board meeting and I suspect that you will not find a single ECF Director who will defend him over this episode.

Chris
Dear Chris thank you for your reply. You said that "I do not know how your interactions with Mike have been". They have been characterised by utmost mutual respect over the course of the last 16 years that I have known him. There have been times when we disagreed but we sorted these disagreements out in private and did not involve other members of chess club. He was flexible in his views and unfailingly supportive of my attempts to drive Witney chess club forward

From what i saw from his dealings with members of the 4ncl committee he had similar relationships with them. It does lead me to the question why someone who has been so successful over 20 or so years of chess admin is suddenly the subject of two criticisms of his character and a complaint coincidentally just before an election (the first criticism being Tim Wall's well publicised blogs on chess.com).

I do not wish to comment on the complaint about Mike other than to say that the ECF has a complaints process (that Mike himself helped set up) that should be followed so I am surprised that you needed to go public on the debate. I presume that Mike can expect to be seen as "innocent until proved guilty"

As regards your comment "i do not know a single ECF director who will support him over this episode" I cannot verify the accuracy of that statement because i would be asking board members to also breach confidentiality and circumvent the complaints process. I will therefore treat is as an unsubstantiated allegation but the fact you continue to breach confidentiality (and wash dirty linen in public) does your case no good.

Alan

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Chris Fegan wrote:

Chris
Dear Chris thank you for your reply. You said that "I do not know how your interactions with Mike have been". They have been characterised by utmost mutual respect over the course of the last 16 years that I have known him. There have been times when we disagreed but we sorted these disagreements out in private and did not involve other members of chess club. He was flexible in his views and unfailingly supportive of my attempts to drive Witney chess club forward

From what i saw from his dealings with members of the 4ncl committee he had similar relationships with them. It does lead me to the question why someone who has been so successful over 20 or so years of chess admin is suddenly the subject of two criticisms of his character and a complaint coincidentally just before an election (the first criticism being Tim Wall's well publicised blogs on chess.com).

I do not wish to comment on the complaint about Mike other than to say that the ECF has a complaints process (that Mike himself helped set up) that should be followed so I am surprised that you needed to go public on the debate. I presume that Mike can expect to be seen as "innocent until proved guilty"

As regards your comment "i do not know a single ECF director who will support him over this episode" I cannot verify the accuracy of that statement because i would be asking board members to also breach confidentiality and circumvent the complaints process. I will therefore treat is as an unsubstantiated allegation but the fact you continue to breach confidentiality (and wash dirty linen in public) does your case no good.

Alan
Alan

Thanks for your comments and you are of corse entitled to your opinion of Mike Truran although it is very localised.

I have not breached any confidential material and the complaint and its validity are very well known within the chess community.

It is no coincidence that Mike's actions are now under scrutiny and I have already explained this, his behaviour has been the subject of disquiet and concern by a number of Board members for years and he has been the subject of Board discussion including for 45 minutes at the last Board meeting and he has been advised not to seek re-election, the fact that he has chosen to ignore this well placed advice is his decision alone and therefore he has chosen to have an election where his record will be scrutinised by the voters.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm
the complaint and its validity are very well known within the chess community
Can you back up this claim with any references
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:47 pm

I guess we will have to wait until manifestos are produced. And I do hope that any complaints procedure is complete before the election. But it is very difficult to take seriously the smears and innuendos, when those shouting loudest seemingly have so little integrity themselves. It very much seems to me that whilst Mike may have been accused of something- others here have already proved over a number of years and a number of instances that they are essentially unfit to serve.

For the record I have no direct personal contact with any member of the current ECF board, save the occasional exchange on social media on non ECF matters. Tim Wall in his blog alleged a whispering campaign was organised against him - more nonsense.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:54 pm

And indeed more projection
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:56 pm

"But it is very difficult to take seriously the smears and innuendos, when those shouting loudest seemingly have so little integrity themselves."

Almost invariably the case, unfortunately.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:07 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:33 pm

Alan

Thanks for your comments and you are of corse entitled to your opinion of Mike Truran although it is very localised.

I have not breached any confidential material and the complaint and its validity are very well known within the chess community.

It is no coincidence that Mike's actions are now under scrutiny and I have already explained this, his behaviour has been the subject of disquiet and concern by a number of Board members for years and he has been the subject of Board discussion including for 45 minutes at the last Board meeting and he has been advised not to seek re-election, the fact that he has chosen to ignore this well placed advice is his decision alone and therefore he has chosen to have an election where his record will be scrutinised by the voters.

Chris
Dear Chris

Dealing with each of your comments in turn:

"your opinion of Mike Truran although it is very localised." My opinion is based on 15 years of experience which i suspect allows me to gain enough evidence. You find a lot about what people are like when they are not in the public eye, for example how they treat their family, the fellow club members, colleagues, new members and beginners. This experience is completely at odds with your description of events and i could not think of any person better suited to be CEO of the ECF. You may not be aware that like Mike i was a chartered accountant of over 35 years experience and the suggestion my opinion would be influence by "local factors" is simply not correct. Also members may not know Mike used to be chief operations offficer a large insurance company and was awarded on OBE for services to the insurance industry. How does that experience compare with yours?

"It is no coincidence" so the fact an election is impending and it has taken six years for these issues to rise is just unfortunate? This is all reminiscent of the suspension of Alex Holowczak in 2015 just before the election. The electorate made their view clear what they thought of that action. I am expecting them to do the same this time.

"a number of Board members" this is a breach of confidentiality. So we can hold those board members accountable can you tell me who as i am sure you do not want the electorate to view you as evasive? In this context can you also respond to Justin Horton's comments.

"for 45 minutes" again another breach of confidentiality - i as a member do not need to know how long it took to discuss a subject and it is not really evidence. In any event it should be that the complaints process is followed without you airing the issues in public. Can you tell me when the complains process is to finished?

"advised not to seek re-election" by whom? if it was by the board and not disclosed in the minutes that again is a breach of confidentiality. If not who advised Mike and why. Did Mike ask for advice?

"well placed advice" what made the advice so well placed. From where i stand that is difficult to understand. Given you would like to be chief executive of ECF i am sure members would like to know you have the gravitas to give good advice.

I have looked back through some of your posts and came accross the one below. Can i suggest you follow Mike Truran's example, shake him by the hand thank him for his hard work and concentrate your campaigning on what you will do and have done for English chess. There is no doubt you do a lot of English chess (well done for finding a candidate for Director of Women's chess) and I would prefer to talking about that than critising you for negative campaigning. Would that be be possible?
Chris Fegan wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:04 pm
John Reyes wrote:I
also Chris Fagan Question to Mike Truran in which he managed to be un professional just show that some of the members are out of touch with the Direct Members!!

The fact that Mike Truran came all the way across the room at the end of the meeting specifically to shake my hand and to thank me for my contributions during the meeting shows just how much out of touch you are with reality allied to your obvious inability to spell people names correctly.