New Arbiters

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Chris Goodall

Re: New Arbiters

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:21 am

What Andrew said. When chess players want to be, and appreciate being, arbited - arbiter-ed? - they will make your life easier. When they don't, because they're part of the fiesta of cheating and corruption in the lower ranks of the self-styled professionals, you will have problems.

I was long under the misapprehension that I had "arbiter potential" because I'm good with a whiteboard, and because a local official had commended me in those words for intervening on the side of my team-mate's opponent in a league match. That's not arbiter potential, that's just autistic spectrum disorder. Arbiter potential is when you can accurately repeat a player's protestations back to them, in such a tone of voice and expression of face that they decide the best course of action is to sit down and shut up. The rest, the laws of chess stuff, you can teach.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Alan Atkinson

Post by Alan Atkinson » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:33 pm

"So, for an arbiter with a FIDE nationality of ENG, they must progress as follows:
Pass the ECF Arbiters Exam, becoming an ECF Level 1 Arbiter
Pass the FIDE Arbiters Exam
Get the norms for an ECF Level 2 Arbiter, becoming a Level 2 Arbiter
Get the norms for a FIDE Arbiter, becoming a FIDE Arbiter
Is that right?
With presumably further complications on the route to becoming an IA?
Whereas, myself, having a FIDE nationality of IRL, I could omit the requirement of becoming an ECF Level 2 Arbiter?"
[/i][/i][/i]
Anyone wishing to become a Fide licensed arbiter must now be an approved arbiter of national level. For the ENG flagged arbiters, we have a system of doing a test based on the Laws, (Level 1) and then completing a number of events where you show some competence. (Level 2). At that point, in a Federation with an approved system, such as ENG, FIDE are prepared to accept a request for someone to become a licensed arbiter (NA: Arbiter of National Levels) and for them to operate in FIDE events as an assistant, so opening the way to earn FIDE Arbiter norms on their way to L3. For Federations without an approved National system, the individuals now need to pass a FIDE test before they can become a NA. As Paul McKeown operates under an Irish flag, it was for their Federation to decide if he was of an appropriate standard to be granted NA status.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:32 am

Alan Atkinson wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:33 pm
As Paul McKeown operates under an Irish flag, it was for their Federation to decide if he was of an appropriate standard to be granted NA status.
Well, Alan I did pass the ECF's Arbiter Exam, which was accepted by the ICU as an equivalent to their required standard.

And thank you, by the way, for all your help with the FIDE Arbiter Seminar and the opportunity at Northumbria to gain my first norm towards the FA title. I prize very highly your guidance and advice.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm

FIDE Arbiter
Many congratulations to Hok Chiu, who has recently been awarded the title of FIDE Arbiter!
:)
Any postings on here represent my personal views