Is Positive Change Coming To English Chess?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
NickFaulks

Re: Is Positive Change Coming To English Chess?

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:27 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:28 pm
Well said Alan. It will be interesting to see if Tim responds.
According to the form book, TW will not consider Alan to be a person worthy of his recognition.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:28 pm
Well said Alan. It will be interesting to see if Tim responds.
According to the form book, TW will not consider Alan to be a person worthy of his recognition.
I hope that is not the case. My hope is that we move away from negative campaigning to positive electioneering. When knocking the opposition it is often like world war 3 - ie everyone loses particularly English chess. the chess is the park initiative sounded really good but rather than get us all talking about that and how amazing it was we are now talking about whether his comments about Mike Truran were a. fair or b. truthful. I very much doubt that was Tim's objective.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:49 am

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 pm
... we are now talking about ... Mike Truran ....
As you wrote your post, you may or may not be right ... but with a little editing we reach something that is very obviously the goal of the people* who would like to see MT gone.

* For the record, given comments up thread I should make clear I don't mean the KGB

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:08 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:49 am
Alan Kennedy wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:02 pm
... we are now talking about ... Mike Truran ....
As you wrote your post, you may or may not be right ... but with a little editing we reach something that is very obviously the goal of the people* who would like to see MT gone.

* For the record, given comments up thread I should make clear I don't mean the KGB
John thank you for your comments. I fear you are correct. As regards those who would like to see MT gone .....he and his board did well just to keep the ecf alive during the pandemic and suggest they somehow failed to support grass roots chess is laughable as others above have indicated.

Alan

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Sorry for necromancing this thread; I should read this forum oftener than monthly.
Alan Kennedy wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:08 pm
[to] suggest they somehow failed to support grass roots chess is laughable as others above have indicated.
I agree. Tim's complaint that:

Several times local organisers have been warned by senior national chess officials that it is probably not safe to organise their own events, and on at least one occasion that it would be ‘illegal.’

sounds like the senior national chess officials doing their jobs, no? Organisers gonna organise. Most of them have been organising for years, with the ECF's "support" being neither necessary nor desirable. Their motivation is not the limiting factor in whether OTB chess comes back. The limiting factor is whether we cause a CoViD outbreak and get fined £10,000. Safety, then legality, then chess, in that order. If the virus is determined to wipe out OTB chess, it will.

Indeed, the Northumbria Masters has just banned spectators because of the CoViD risk.

Anyway, Mike Truran for CEO.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:11 pm
Indeed, the Northumbria Masters has just banned spectators because of the CoViD risk.
For many years most chess events have provided limited or no facilities for spectators at venues. Usually it doesn't matter because there aren't any.

But how much following do UK events get when they are broadcast live?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:36 pm

"Spectators" in this context includes participants who have finished their games. The laws of chess certainly used to (and probably still does) specify that once a game has finished the players are defined as spectators. We've all seen in congresses or matches where people crowd round the final few games to finish, particularly if a time scramble or interesting endgame is being played out. This is what is primarily being prohibited.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own