Direct Members’ Representatives – elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Direct Members’ Representatives – elections

Post by John Reyes » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Following the recent request for candidates for the posts of Direct Members’ Representatives to Council, the following have been returned unopposed and will take up their offices on 1st August 2021 —

Life Member Representatives – Stewart Reuben & Gerry Walsh (no change)
Platinum Member Representatives – Adrian Elwin & David Eustace (Adrian replaces John Wickham, who has stood down)
Gold Member Representatives – Lorin d’Costa and Rob Willmoth (no change)
Bronze Member Representatives – Aga Milewska & Chris Skulte (no change)

There were four nominations for the Silver posts, so an email election will now follow. Candidate election addresses will be sent out shortly to all Silver members with instructions on how to cast your votes. The candidates (each name is linked to the relevant election address) are —

Jonathan Miller; John Reyes; Tim Wall; Steve Westmoreland

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/direct- ... elections/
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Re: Direct Members’ Representatives – elections

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:29 pm

Interesting to see Jonathan Miller standing and well worth silver members reading all 4 election addresses

Hope John gets reelected of course
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:15 pm

thanks and i always said that i don't take this role lightly and i will always speak to the silver members directly.

Also you can see that i have always sent out what happen at the last meeting, but my other rep did not sent anything about the april finance meeting?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:15 pm
Also you can see that i have always sent out what happen at the last meeting
The ECF's version of what was said and voted upon is at
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... 2021.3.pdf

Also on that page are records of the Directors' meetings.
They have not published anything since the report on the January meeting
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... .3.2-1.pdf

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm

If by the ECF you mean its Council then we do not yet know whether it is their version of what was said and voted upon as it is still a draft and has not itself been voted on. If you mean by the ECF the Board then the same can be said because they have no part in producing the minutes. If by the ECF you mean the entire membership (which would be my interpretation) then it is surprising that the ECF has any view at all since most of it was not present. Perhaps the ECF is Stephen Greep (who was minute taker). Tell me who is the ECF?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm
Tell me who is the ECF?
In this context it's whoever takes responsibility for publication of material on the official ECF website.

If there were a complaint about the material posted, presumably this would go to the ECF webmaster, who might refer it upwards to one or all of the Directors.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:15 pm
Also you can see that i have always sent out what happen at the last meeting
The ECF's version of what was said and voted upon is at
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... 2021.3.pdf

Also on that page are records of the Directors' meetings.
They have not published anything since the report on the January meeting
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... .3.2-1.pdf
i do know that but like people like angus and myself and Michael, we always sent out a chess report to the members and also how we voted for because at the end of the day, we answer to the direct members and not to our own hidden agendas?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm
If by the ECF you mean its Council then we do not yet know whether it is their version of what was said and voted upon as it is still a draft and has not itself been voted on. If you mean by the ECF the Board then the same can be said because they have no part in producing the minutes. If by the ECF you mean the entire membership (which would be my interpretation) then it is surprising that the ECF has any view at all since most of it was not present. Perhaps the ECF is Stephen Greep (who was minute taker). Tell me who is the ECF?
I interpreted it as none of the above; I interpreted it as the ECF itself, which has a legal identity separate from those of its members.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:02 am

Just seen that Tim Wall has just put this on the Facebook on the English chess news page

Calling ECF Silver Members: please see below my election address for the post of ECF Silver Members rep. You have until July 25 to vote, and you have 2 votes. I recommend that as well as myself, you also vote for Steve Westmoreland, who has played a fantastic role in keeping his chess club (Holmfirth, West Yorkshire) going during the pandemic. Thanks :)

This was my response

Thanks Tim for that

So you don’t think that I have not done a good job as the silver members rep then?

I’m really gutted about this? If people know me, I always care about the members, but also I never go on forums and abuse members on their own views (One of the members message me about Tim comment to Joseph Conlon on this forum and Tim did take it down and apologised offline to him but do you want someone who does this?)

This is what I have put on the site as I feel that members should have a right to vote the way to them

This is to all the ECF Silver Members: please see below my election address for the post of ECF Silver Members Direct Member Representative. You may vote for a maximum of two candidates and Voting will remain open until midnight on Sunday 25th July.

I’m not going to recommend anyone as I feel you have a choice to pick who you want, but I will say that I never take the role for granted, but also I will vote on the way that you tell me and not for my own personal views and you can see that in the ecf voting card like this

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... -Votes.pdf

I have also sent out a report after every meetings that I have attended and I also noticed that my fellow silver direct member rep has not sent out a report after the meeting, despite offering to work together.

Do you want a representative who votes for you or someone to tell you to vote? You see in my election address that it been a challenge and I hope you can give me one of your votes

Election Address

Dear Fellow Silver Members

I seek your support for re-election to the English Chess Federation Council to represent the Silver members for the 2021-22 season. As a current Silver member, I have carried out this role for the past five years, I feel able to build upon my experience and move forward with confidence for what this role requires for the future of chess and its players.

I have been playing chess for 28 years; I began as a 12-year-old junior going to Chorlton chess club – Now I am the grand age of 40 years old and play for Urmston whilst also being a member of
Manchester Social chess club. During my time playing chess, I have carried out many different roles including being club captain at local level to running club tournaments and a congress. More recently, in light of the COVID19 restrictions placed upon over the board chess, I have also managed and selected teams for Manchester online county championships, an enjoyable but challenging role in the increasingly changing chess landscape.

I work well with others and have built lots of relationships with different members, leagues and organisations over time. I have been attending ECF meetings since the 2014 AGM when I volunteered to be the Lancashire rep. I have been a Silver member rep since the ECF AGM 2016 meeting when myself and Michael Farthing were elected to speak on behalf of the members.

My reasons for feeling so passionately about being a rep were because I wanted the players to have a voice at meetings and feel confident that their views were being represented and discussed formally. Any feedback from these meetings is always reported back to members who have been most grateful of the opportunity for their opinions to be brought to the table. This proactive attitude, action and response approach would continue if you vote for me to remain as the silver rep for 2021/22.

I do not take for granted the role I have undertaken over the past few years – I am proud to have been your representative but I have never rested on my laurels. I am proactive in this role and I feel that I have a good balance of skills and approaches - I canvass the opinions of the Silver members, asking their views on key agenda items prior to meetings, reflecting upon the traditions of the game, discussing options for potential change where this would benefit members and look at ways to secure the future of chess in the 21st century. If I am re-elected, I would aim to work in collaboration with whoever is also elected to support the Silver members, representing their views to the best of my abilities.

I always feel that any organisations need new blood coming through in order to continue the good work that has gone before and also to drive forward areas that could benefit from some change. I am passionate in recruiting new people and representing the views of members of all ages and of levels
of experience. To gain a wider understanding of the complexities and viewpoints involved , I have volunteered to do different roles within the game. I wholeheartedly believe that this has helped me to see the rounded viewpoints needed to support chess moving forward.
Looking ahead, I am sure we are all looking forward to adapting to and enjoying our new normal – whatever this may look like. I would be proud to continue to represent the views of members, taking a proactive approach when canvassing opinions and reporting on progress from meetings regarding how we can shape the future together. I am excited by the prospect of continuing in this role, if re- elected as we enter a new phase for the future of chess.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope that you will give me your vote.

John Reyes Silver member ME007891

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am

And here is the message I received from this members but also I got a Similar message from someone from one of my clubs telling me this as well

John.

In my opinion any Silver member who is considering casting a vote for Tim Wall should be aware of his post early this morning. He has removed it, but not apologised to Joseph Conlon. (I have been told that he has now apologised to him offline) If this is someone who should be a Member Rep, I give up.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post was edited.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 am

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am
And here is the message I received from this members but also I got a Similar message from someone from one of my clubs telling me this as well

John.

In my opinion any Silver member who is considering casting a vote for Tim Wall should be aware of his post early this morning. He has removed it, but not apologised to Joseph Conlon. (I have been told that he has now apologised to him offline) If this is someone who should be a Member Rep, I give up.
Tim has apologised to Joseph and the matter is closed.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:51 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 am
John Reyes wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:05 am

John.

Tim has apologised to Joseph and the matter is closed.
The matter may be closed but I'd suggest there remains a question mark over someone's judgment in writing the post in the first place.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:16 am

I can see the comments that I was sent was edited and I do understand why.

But roger has mention a good point there?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:20 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:51 am
The matter may be closed but I'd suggest there remains a question mark over someone's judgment in writing the post in the first place.
Agreed.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:03 pm

I don't have a vote, but it would be a sad day if the electoral machinations resulted in John Reyes failing to be elected. There is still time for Steve Westmoreland to distance himself from Tim Wall, just as there is time for Tim Wall to withdraw from the election. I know nothing of the other candidate Jonathan Millar but clearly he has a manifesto and warrants consideration.