Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance.

Poll ended at Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 am

I would be willing to be a player or an arbiter at an event conducted on the basis of these arrangements
44%
I would be not willing to be a player or an arbiter at an event conducted on the basis of these arrangements.
42%
Other (please post in the thread).
11%
Don't know.
3%

Total votes: 36

Adam Raoof

Re: Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun May 02, 2021 3:21 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:13 pm
There is an obvious problem with insisting on vaccination of organisers. Not that some will refuse, but that some of our best are not yet eligible.
I can confirm that I have had both my vaccine and my booster. Naturally that was because of my diabetes, not my age...
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 02, 2021 3:35 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:13 pm
There is an obvious problem with insisting on vaccination of organisers. Not that some will refuse, but that some of our best are not yet eligible.
The same applies to our arbiters.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Ken Norman wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 pm
Until the Covid 19 pandemic is over worldwide. The organiser of any OTB Chess event involving Seniors needs to ensure the safety of these Senior players. The obvious precaution is only to accept entries from people who have been vaccinated. Arbiters and other organisers should also have been vaccinated.
Legally, if the government's laws and guidance indicate that the balance of risk allows indoor events with no further mitigation, then I would argue that organisers can set the bar where they want. It is up to the participants, senior or not, to decide whether the balance of risk of that particular event is acceptable or not.

The argument is purely rhetorical anyhow, as most will be vaccinated by the time adult OtB resumes.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 02, 2021 4:49 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm
The argument is purely rhetorical anyhow, as most will be vaccinated by the time adult OtB resumes.
Is not not purely rhetorical, because you still have to decide whether you are going to ban anyone who isn't vaccinated.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:49 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 4:38 pm
Is not not purely rhetorical, because you still have to decide whether you are going to ban anyone who isn't vaccinated.
What I mean is, if 95% (for argument's sake) of the population is vaccinated by then with 2 doses, then why would that be an issue? I appreciate there are going to be immuno-depressed players that cannot get the vaccine, but that would be a problem anyhow. Or I may be missing a point.

But to go back to rhetorical arguments, why would one require a vaccination proof for a chess event and not for supermarkets, hairdressers and other activities? Many chess events present much lower transition risks (not the cramped ones, the ones in large sporting halls or conference rooms).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 02, 2021 5:52 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:08 pm
I appreciate there are going to be immuno-depressed players that cannot get the vaccine, but that would be a problem anyhow. Or I may be missing a point.
One of us is. I don't think you have explained why that would be a problem ( anyhow ).
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun May 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Wadih,
Nick feels he should be free to choose not to get the vaccine, but nobody else should be free to stop him doing something because he hasn't been vaccinated.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 02, 2021 6:06 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:56 pm
Wadih,
Nick feels he should be free to choose not to get the vaccine, but nobody else should be free to stop him doing something because he hasn't been vaccinated.
Thanks Matthew, it's always nice to have an uninformed observer leap in to explain one's own comments, but perhaps Wadih could be permitted to make his own reply?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun May 02, 2021 6:36 pm

I am unwilling atm so went for other as I think I will in October. I have received 2 jabs. I found the high street crowded yet in reality it's empty.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:56 pm
Wadih,
What I initially meant was that if events are allowed, if organisers decide not to ask for proof of vaccination, that would be not only legal but also reasonable. If some organisers require more than the legal requirement, they are also entitled to do it. In both cases, players can chose whether the risks are worth it or not.

I then assumed that requiring proof of vaccination will be odd at some point in the future, since most of the population should be vaccinated by then, thus significantly reducing circulation and danger of the virus.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun May 02, 2021 8:38 pm

I completely agree

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun May 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:31 pm
I then assumed that requiring proof of vaccination will be odd at some point in the future
I agree, but in this new and uncharted world many things are happening that are, to traditionalists among us, odd. Will chess events require disclosure of medical records or not?

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 am

Still talk of having some form of "Social Distancing" after June.
& "Proof of Vaccination" remains a political hot potato.
Paul Robert Jackson

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 03, 2021 10:27 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 am
Still talk of having some form of "Social Distancing" after June.
They have reneged on every previous promise. Why would you expect this one to be different?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue May 11, 2021 5:22 pm

I'm bumping David's thread. I went with other, on the basis I expect to see something entirely different by July, and not much chance of me having to make a decision before then, regrettably.