Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance.

Poll ended at Mon May 31, 2021 10:54 am

I would be willing to be a player or an arbiter at an event conducted on the basis of these arrangements
44%
I would be not willing to be a player or an arbiter at an event conducted on the basis of these arrangements.
42%
Other (please post in the thread).
11%
Don't know.
3%

Total votes: 36

Roger Lancaster

Re: Latest ECF Covid-19 Guidance

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:00 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:01 pm
what about risk assessment and insurance ?

I just had my venue telling us that we need insurance before we can do anything at the flixton con club? has anyone heard about this?
I'm not sure what's being asked here. Legally, as far as I can see, there's no less or greater a reason for insurance post-Covid than pre-Covid. What's the club's existing position regarding insurance cover if, for example, I visit the club and trip over something carelessly left on the floor, injuring myself, and decide to sue the club for financial loss incurred through my inability to work?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:41 pm

John Reyes wrote:
I just had my venue telling us that we need insurance before we can do anything at the flixton con club? has anyone heard about this?
There are many sorts of insurance. Do they say against what?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:27 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:41 pm
John Reyes wrote:
The room is not available on a Thursday evening (our club night as now they got slimming world in). We are only able to hire it out if the persons hiring it have full risk assessment and liability insurance of their own and are able to sanitise before during and after use this is a requirement of our insurance also.We are not currently holding functions either until covid restrictions are lifted
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:31 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:27 pm
The room is not available on a Thursday evening (our club night as now they got slimming world in). We are only able to hire it out if the persons hiring it have full risk assessment and liability insurance of their own and are able to sanitise before during and after use this is a requirement of our insurance also.
Might be worth finding out how Slimming World are dealing with this.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:57 am

I rather think you can take today's story in The Times as a government-inspired move so that everyone is less surprised if the 21 June ["earliest possible"] lockdown relaxation date is, in fact, moved back by a fortnight. Of course, if any official postponement announcement then fails to indicate a firm date, eg. 5 July being 14 days later, then it leaves mid-July chess tournament organisers in an impossible position.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:24 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:57 am
I rather think you can take today's story in The Times as a government-inspired move so that everyone is less surprised if the 21 June ["earliest possible"] lockdown relaxation date is, in fact, moved back by a fortnight. Of course, if any official postponement announcement then fails to indicate a firm date, eg. 5 July being 14 days later, then it leaves mid-July chess tournament organisers in an impossible position.
The local press suggests Lancashire and Greater Manchester would appear to be set to be ‘advised’ to limit non-essential travel, and be subject to some enhanced measures. For us that moves the first proper chess event potentially to the end of August. I suppose the issue is they can’t tell if hospital admissions will eventually shift upwards after the usual delay. The Times article apparently mentioned 'grim' data presented to the cabinet by Whitty and Vallance, which may influence a decision to push the 21st June date by between 2 weeks and a month.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:16 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:41 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Chess clubs or congress organisers taking out insurance is a fairly standard thing in the chess world. The ECF recommend a policy and some years back there was some discussion as to whether the ECF recommended policy was still the best/ most suitable one to take out.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:39 pm

One thing that shouldn't be forgotten re vaccines is that they take a few weeks to reach full effectiveness. One wonders how many of those - still a low number overall, of course - who have been hospitalised post-vaccination had only just had the jab.

Of course the government should have taken this into account in their "opening up" planning, but alas that doesn't mean that they did.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:39 pm
One thing that shouldn't be forgotten re vaccines is that they take a few weeks to reach full effectiveness. One wonders how many of those - still a low number overall, of course - who have been hospitalised post-vaccination had only just had the jab.
We had some of this yesterday in respect of the delta variation. Matt Hancock reported "As of 3 June, our data show that of the 12,383 cases of the delta variant, 464 people went on to present at emergency care and 126 were admitted to hospital. Of those 126 people, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had received one dose and just three had received both doses of vaccine."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:27 pm

Matt Hancock, very last month :lol:

Do we know when the ECF might update its Covid guidance next?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:56 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:39 pm
We had some of this yesterday in respect of the delta variation. Matt Hancock reported "As of 3 June, our data show that of the 12,383 cases of the delta variant, 464 people went on to present at emergency care and 126 were admitted to hospital. Of those 126 people, 83 were unvaccinated, 28 had received one dose and just three had received both doses of vaccine."
This Government publication has Delta variant statistics for the period 1 February to 21 June with breakdowns for vaccination status and age group - see the table on pages 16 and 17. The figures for the age 50+ doubly-vaccinated group may look high but bear in mind that the base population for that group will have been significantly larger than the one for, say, the age 50+ unvaccinated group.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:27 pm
Matt Hancock, very last month :lol:

Do we know when the ECF might update its Covid guidance next?
Didn't mean to knock Mick's post off top spot so bumping it back.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views