Reports from Direct Members' representatives

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
mickriding

Re: Reports from Direct Members' representatives

Post by mickriding » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:06 pm

I thought all all members responses are sent to both Reps and the Membership mailbox? So logically John and Tim have the same responses reflecting the same views and will reflect those in their voting today? Isn't that why we have two member reps for each group - to provide each other with some degree of auditing? If not it should be then it should be else the comments on this strand will become a recurring theme - to nobody's benefit.

With regard to tenure of office I concur with the view that as long as a person is doing a good job why remove them? And with specific regard to Mike Truran I'm sure when he believes he has taken ECF as far as he can and it's time for new legs I am sure he will make that decision and stand aside. Before then somebody needs to stand up with a thought out plan (what, how, cost, benefits) to take us forward in a better way than present. And if and when that happens it shouldn't matter whose plan it is.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:09 pm

"With regard to tenure of office I concur with the view that as long as a person is doing a good job why remove them? And with specific regard to Mike Truran I'm sure when he believes he has taken ECF as far as he can and it's time for new legs I am sure he will make that decision and stand aside. Before then somebody needs to stand up with a thought out plan (what, how, cost, benefits) to take us forward in a better way than present. And if and when that happens it shouldn't matter whose plan it is."

Yes

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:16 pm

TimWall wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am
Buckle up, folks, because this is a fairly blunt one and you may want to be sitting down when you read it.
Of course this was sent to ALL silver members, including the novice FREE Silver Juniors.
One of them asked me at school this week what was it all about.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:16 pm
TimWall wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am
Buckle up, folks, because this is a fairly blunt one and you may want to be sitting down when you read it.
Of course this was sent to ALL silver members, including the novice FREE Silver Juniors.
One of them asked me at school this week what was it all about.
Yes, I've just had to issue a public rebuttal locally to avoid new ECF members, and others, believing that Tim's views are widely shared.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:24 pm

I've seen the consultation messages from the two Silver reps (which were shown here) and a joint message from the Gold reps. Have the Bronze representatives consulted?

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:36 pm

mickriding wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:06 pm
I thought all all members responses are sent to both Reps and the Membership mailbox? So logically John and Tim have the same responses reflecting the same views and will reflect those in their voting today? Isn't that why we have two member reps for each group - to provide each other with some degree of auditing? If not it should be then it should be else the comments on this strand will become a recurring theme - to nobody's benefit.

With regard to tenure of office I concur with the view that as long as a person is doing a good job why remove them? And with specific regard to Mike Truran I'm sure when he believes he has taken ECF as far as he can and it's time for new legs I am sure he will make that decision and stand aside. Before then somebody needs to stand up with a thought out plan (what, how, cost, benefits) to take us forward in a better way than present. And if and when that happens it shouldn't matter whose plan it is.
Tim has sent me a list on Microsoft word with the email but no names of the senders, but if people know me, you should know that i will do what they tell me

I will always 100% vote what the membership tell me. but i can't confirmed on who has send email to tim and also if there are silvers members or not?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

mickriding

Post by mickriding » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Hi John,

Tim has sent me a list on Microsoft word with the email but no names of the senders, but if people know me, you should know that i will do what they tell me - **** Understand. I believe unless views are posted to the assigned Rep mailboxes they are invalid At worse you should have read access to both Rep mailboxes

I will always 100% vote what the membership tell me. **** You are good guy and I know you will :-) but i can't confirmed on who has send email to tim and also if there are silvers members or not? **** Well then imo they should be ignored am afraid, else we get the suspicions/mail trail as we have here

Forgive me - not sure how to do the highlighted bit!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm

To highlight a bit, write that bit out and then drag your cursor over it, then click on the box above that says B.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:36 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:24 pm
I've seen the consultation messages from the two Silver reps (which were shown here) and a joint message from the Gold reps. Have the Bronze representatives consulted?
The Bronze representatives - Christopher Skulte and Aga Sapkowska (Milewska) - sent Bronze members an email on Monday 19 April and invited our views.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm

John Swain wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:36 pm
Angus French wrote:
The Bronze representatives - Christopher Skulte and Aga Sapkowska (Milewska) - sent Bronze members an email on Monday 19 April and invited our views.
Thanks John. Can I ask: did Christopher and Aga say anything about the budget and the federation's finances? That's what I've been most concerned about.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:03 pm

i had over 16 members who message me and i have sent it to tim who has with names

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:35 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm
John Swain wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:36 pm
Angus French wrote:
Thanks John. Can I ask: did Christopher and Aga say anything about the budget and the federation's finances? That's what I've been most concerned about.
It's probably easiest if I quote what the Bronze representatives had to say, rather than selectively quoting from it.

"Dear Bronze Members (from Christopher Skulte & Aga Sapkowska (Milewska) - Bronze Member representatives on the ECF Council)

Thank you for supporting the ECF with your membership this year, one where there have been challenges for so many. We hope that with lockdowns easing there is hope for positivity (& more importantly chess) in the future for all of us. For those going through a tough time right now, remember you can always text '85258' 24/7 to talk to someone. Shout is the UK's first free, confidential, 24/7 text support service. It's a place to go if you're struggling to cope and need mental health support.

We are writing to you today about two items which we go into more detail below, along with our views on the matters:

1) Upcoming ECF Finance Meeting
2) Support guide for club chess

Please use both following emails for all replies please, so they come directly to us ---
[email protected]
[email protected]

Upcoming ECF Finance Council Meeting
We are writing to you today to inform you of the upcoming ECF Finance Council Meeting on the 24th April (agenda attached). A few items of note, as well as our response - please feel free to email us your thoughts on any of the below:

1) Membership fees in 21-22 remain the same as the current year:
£18 - Bronze & £6 for Bronze juniors.
Response: We feel that no increase is fair and correct, the directors have put in considerable effort to reduce costs across the ECF in the current year, and along with additional donations have been able to keep the expected loss at £5k instead of ~£40k. We will keep a close eye on this next financial year, and if there is a surge of new membership and funding due to the increased interest in chess, we will look to reviewing our views in the future, though there is an expectation that it will take another year or so for the ECF to recover from the effects of Covid. In the meantime, we support the directors in giving them the maximum flexibility in this unprecedented time.

2) A vote on the length allowed of director terms (Item 11)
The 3 votes on the matter are as follows, that a director cannot stand for re-election to a post at an AGM, having just occupied that post:
(A) for a period longer than one three year term;
(B) for a period of two consecutive three year terms or longer
(C) for a period of three consecutive three year terms or longer
Response: This is a complex subject, where there are always many views.
We feel that there are many different directorships where committed individuals can support the ECF, though would not want to lose someone doing an amazing job. At the same time, change is always required for innovation to occur, which is already a challenge for large committee run organisations.
A fair balance feels that two terms is a fair middle ground, allowing enough time to deliver on changes, while not sticking to the same control of the ECF for an extended period.

3) Voting Allocations of council members (Item 12)
Response: Our thoughts are similar to the Gold member representatives (Lorin D'Costa and Rob Willmoth), and share their views below:
This is simply about allowing council members voting rights for online games, at half the rate of OTB games. Please read the attachment for more specific details.
The concern is again political. It is basically allowing certain groups who amass a lot of votes as they run a lot of tournaments to gain more voting power. On the other hand, it does not stop anyone at all from rating their online games and getting votes.
Our conclusion is that it would be unfair on organisers for not allowing this resolution as such organisers do bring in ECF members and pay game fees for their events and it also does not stop anyone at all from rating their online games.
If you have any additional thoughts or comments, please let us know.

Other Updates
We would also like to make you aware that we will be sending out a survey soon to better understand club chess across the country, along with using ideas and suggestions to work with the relevant ECF directors to put together a basic 'guide for clubs' to help grow and support the grass-roots of our sport, to help springboard the current momentum chess is gaining.
If you have any preliminary on this, questions, and areas of interest please do get in contact with us.

Kind regards
Christopher Skulte & Aga Sapkowska (Milewska)"

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks John.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:34 pm

I will be doing my report over the week and I will put it here when It is done

Also you will see also how your reps voting in the meeting, but the membership fees will be the same as last season.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:05 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 am
And there is also the question of whether or not the quoted people were asked whether their views should be used in this particular way.
When me and michael farthing was the reps, we had a spreadsheet and it was just between us and never publicly would have put they comments on a forum

I also want to say to you, roger and any silver member, I will always represent your views and with the 16 emails that was sent to me, 11 left to me or no option, and 3 wanted 2 terms and 2 for three terms. If I saw the names of the people that tim got comments from (I got a word document from tim with comments but no names of the person who sent it) I would have a guideline of how to vote.

There is over 2000 silver members so far (and I have seen the figures from the director of membership)

If people know me, I’m honest, normal ish who don’t have any hidden agenda who will do right and respect the opinions of the members. It’s your views at the end and while we are all volunteers, it you who guided us to vote the way you want us to and not what we want you to?

Thanks