County Championships National Stage 2019/2020.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Gunn

County Championships National Stage 2019/2020.

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 am

I am disappointed to see the proposal that this be abandoned. I understand the reasoning (only 50% of counties/ unions want to continue so it wouldn't be the normal competition) but what about those of us who do want to play?

I'll raise this at the Finance Council if there are some others who feel the same way ... don't let the virus win!

Andrew Zigmond

Re: County Championships National Stage 2019/2020.

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 am
I am disappointed to see the proposal that this be abandoned. I understand the reasoning (only 50% of counties/ unions want to continue so it wouldn't be the normal competition) but what about those of us who do want to play?

I'll raise this at the Finance Council if there are some others who feel the same way ... don't let the virus win!
In the normal course of things the deadline for the regional stages to be completed and the nominations submitted would have passed. It isn't actually in the gift of the ECF to "cancel" these and if any union still wished to hold their internal competition they would be free to do so. The problem with running the competition in its normal form would be that to play it out properly would take it well into the Autumn, creating clashes with other events.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:50 pm

The 2019/20 regional stages were completed, I think; G Man qualified for the u160 National Stages, which have now been abandoned

This seems fair enough to me, as getting enough players willing to travel long distances to play county matches OTB is going to be considerably harder, I'm not sure I fancy a drive of over 2 hours to play 1 game in a possibly not very well ventilated or spaced venue, let alone as would be usual giving a lift to some of my teammates

There's also the issue that u160 as at August 2019 seems a long time ago now in grading terms
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:24 pm

I have to admit I misread Mike's post as referring to what would have been this year's competition, as opposed to the one that was abandoned when the pandemic struck.

While I understand the frustration that some events look set to be permanently unfinished I think there comes a point when a line needs to be drawn under the past and we need to look ahead to restarting with a clean sheet.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own