ECF Finance Meeting 2021 on 24th April 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

ECF Finance Meeting 2021 on 24th April 2021

Post by John Reyes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:50 pm

Hi all

it's is the wonderful time of year for the ECF Finance meeting on the 24th April 2021 at 1:30pm on Zoom

the main talking points are this

Council is asked to consider, and if thought fit, approve a resolution setting membership and
other fees for 2021-22:
THAT ECF membership fees for direct members and member organisations and that game
fees remain unchanged from 2020-21 as shown in this table:
2021/22 (£)
Platinum 75.00
Junior Platinum 75.00
Gold 39.00
Junior Gold 19.50
Silver 27.00
Silver Junior 6.00
Bronze 18.00
Bronze Junior 6.00
FIDE Rated Events 11.00
Congress Pay to Play 9.00
Congress Pay to Play Junior 2.50
Non-Members Game Fee 18.00
Non-Members Game Fee Junior 6.00
Member Organisations 64.00

and also these as well

Voting Register
A Special Resolution proposed by the Governance Committee concerning the 2021-22
Voting Register [C34.10-12]

THAT the articles of association of the Company be amended by inserting the following
wording at the end of article 22: “The register to be published in 2021 shall be produced on
the basis that the number of votes of a member for the purposes of Article 30(1) shall be
equal to the highest of (a) the votes it would have if the voting register were prepared without
having regard to this sentence, (b) the votes it has in the September 2020 voting register and
(c) the votes it has in the September 2019 voting register, and any poll under Article 26 shall
be conducted accordingly”.
Note: As this is a Special Resolution the wording may not be amended by the Council and a
75% vote in favour is required for it to be passed
11 Proposals from the Governance Committee on Directors’ Tenure of Office
Following discussions prior to last year’s AGM as to the maximum length of a director’s
tenure of office, the Governance Committee has consulted with Council members and
developed some proposals. When consulting, the Committee found general agreement that,
if limitations are to be introduced, then they should be consistent with elections being spread
over a three year cycle. It was also clear that Council members thought it appropriate to
make any limitation only apply to service in a particular directorship. There was a wider
range of views on the number of terms that should be considered as a maximum. The
Governance Committee is bringing forward three Special Resolutions for consideration,
namely that a director cannot stand for re-election to a post at an AGM, having just
occupied that post:
( A ) for a period longer than one three year term;
( B ) for a period of two consecutive three year terms or longer
( C ) for a period of three consecutive three year terms or longer
Further details of the resolutions are included in the Governance Committee’s paper
[C34.10-12].
The procedure to be adopted is that a vote will be taken on each of these three motions at the
end of discussion. Council members MAY (and should) vote on each resolution. The
resolution to be passed will be the one that achieves the highest percentage vote of votes cast,
provided this meets the 75% required for a Special Resolution. This procedure has been
adopted as it is not possible to amend the special resolutions in the meeting.
Special Resolution C34.11 A
THAT, subject to the condition below, the existing wording of Article 60 be deleted and
replaced with: “Any Director who retires at an Annual General Meeting pursuant to Article
59 shall not be eligible for re-election at such Annual General Meeting to the same (or
substantially similar) Board Position if the Director has then just completed a continuous
period of office in such same (or substantially similar) Board Position of longer than one
three year term. Any such Director shall be eligible for appointment to the same (or
Page 3 of 7
Agenda for Finance Council Meeting, 24 April 2021 [C34]
substantially similar) Board Position pursuant to Article 57, but shall not be eligible to stand
for election to the same (or substantially similar) Board Position until the Annual General
Meeting in the third year after the year in which the relevant Director was ineligible for reelection. For the purposes of Article 60, a “three year term” shall mean the time period
between an Annual General Meeting and the Annual General Meeting held in the third next
succeeding calendar year”. Even if passed by the requisite majority, this resolution shall only
take effect if the ratio between votes in favour and votes against is greater than the equivalent
ratio for each of Resolution (B) below and Resolution (C) below and in the event of ratios
being identical a casting vote of the Chairman shall decide which resolution shall take effect.
Special Resolution C34.11 B
THAT, subject to the condition below, the existing wording of Article 60 be deleted and
replaced with: “Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 57, any Director who retires
at an Annual General Meeting pursuant to Article 59 shall not be eligible for re-election at
such Annual General Meeting to the same (or substantially similar) Board Position if the
Director has then just completed a continuous period of office in such same (or substantially
similar) Board Position of two consecutive three year terms or longer. Any such Director
shall be eligible for appointment to the same (or substantially similar) Board Position
pursuant to Article 57, but shall not be eligible to stand for election to the same (or
substantially similar) Board Position until the Annual General Meeting in the third year after
the year in which the relevant Director was ineligible for re-election. For the purposes of
Article 60, a “three year term” shall mean the time period between an Annual General
Meeting and the Annual General Meeting held in the third next succeeding calendar year”.
Even if passed by the requisite majority, this resolution shall only take effect if the ratio
between votes in favour and votes against is greater than the equivalent ratio for each of
Resolution (A) above and Resolution (C) below and in the event of ratios being identical a
casting vote of the Chairman shall decide which resolution shall take effect.
Special Resolution C34.11 C
replaced with: “Without prejudice to the provisions of Article 57, any Director who retires
at an Annual General Meeting pursuant to Article 59 shall not be eligible for re-election at
such Annual General Meeting to the same (or substantially similar) Board Position if the
Director has then just completed a continuous period of office in such same (or substantially
similar) Board Position of three consecutive three year terms or longer. Any such Director
shall be eligible for appointment to the same (or substantially similar) Board Position
pursuant to Article 57, but shall not be eligible to stand for election to the same (or
substantially similar) Board Position until the Annual General Meeting in the third year after
the year in which the relevant Director was ineligible for re-election .For the purposes of
Article 60, a “three year term” shall mean the time period between an Annual General
Meeting and the Annual General Meeting held in the third next succeeding calendar year”.
Even if passed by the requisite majority, this resolution shall only take effect if the ratio
between votes in favour and votes against is greater than the equivalent ratio for Resolution
(A) above and Resolution (B) above and in the event of ratios being identical a casting vote
of the Chairman shall decide which resolution shall take effect.
Page 4 of 7
Agenda for Finance Council Meeting, 24 April 2021 [C34]
12 Voting Allocations of Council Members
Council is invited to consider and, if thought fit, approve a Special Resolution proposed by
the Board concerning changes to the Voting allocations to Council Members:

“THAT the articles of association of the Company be amended by:
(a) inserting (in the appropriate place alphabetically) in article 1.1 the following definitions:
“Blitz Game” means a game where all the moves must be completed in a fixed time of not
fewer than three minutes but not more than 10 minutes for each player or the allotted time
plus 60 times any increment is not fewer than three minutes but not more than 10 minutes
for each player;”
“Rapidplay Game” means a game where all the moves must be completed in a fixed time of
more than 10 minutes but less than 60 minutes for each player or the allotted time plus 60
times any increment is more than 10 minutes but less than 60 minutes for each player;
“Standardplay Game” means a game where each player is allotted more time than the
maximum time for a Rapidplay Game;
(b) deleting the final sentence of article 31 and replacing it with the following wording; “For
these purposes, each rated game played shall give rise to two entries (one for each player)
and an over the board Standardplay Game entry shall constitute one game unit, an over the
board Rapidplay Game entry half a game unit, an over the board Blitz Game entry one sixth
of a game unit, an online Standardplay Game entry half a game unit, an online Rapidplay
Game entry one quarter of a game unit and an online Blitz Game entry one twelfth of a game
unit. If in any period (as referred to in this article 31) the aggregate amount of game units of
full Members attributable to online games (including pursuant to assignment under article 32)
exceeds half of the aggregate number of game units of Full Members attributable to over the
board games (including pursuant to assignment under Article 32) then, for the purposes of
calculating voting entitlements under Article 30(1), the value of the game units deriving from
online games attributable to Full Members shall be proportionately reduced to the extent
necessary to ensure that the limit is not exceeded. By way of exception to the foregoing, for
the period ending 30th June 2021 the preceding sentence shall be applied as if there were
inserted after the words “game units of Full Members attributable to over the board games
(including pursuant to assignment under Article 32)” the words “in the period ended 30th
June 2019”;
(c) replacing all references in the articles of association to “grading” and “graded” with
“rating” and “rated” respectively;”

Note: As this is a Special Resolution the wording may not be amended by the Council and a
75% vote in favour is required for it to be passed. The Governance Committee discusses the
motion in its paper [C34.10-12]

County Championship, 2021 proposals will be mention on the other section of the forum
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

John Reyes

Re: ECF Finance Meeting 2021 on 24th April 2021

Post by John Reyes » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm

I will be sending out my Report to the Silver Members tomorrow to the Office asking for views from the silver members

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:25 pm
I will be sending out my Report to the Silver Members tomorrow to the Office asking for views from the silver members
Have you looked at the financials at all, John? Also, presumably there are documents still to be published.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 pm

Dear Silver Members,

I am writing to you all to ask to canvass your opinions and views in advance of the ECF finance meeting too be held on 24th April 2021 via Zoom. This will contribute towards any votes that take place at the meeting by helping to inform me on your wishes.

The Main Talking Points and Motions

ECF Finance Director’s Report

Adam Ashton was elected to be the new Finance Director. When reading his report (please read via the link C34.6-Finance-Directors-Report.pdf (englishchess.org.uk)) you can see that as things currently stand, the ECF will incur an anticipated loss of around £5000. A number of savings have been made in terms of administrative cutbacks. We have also received grants and monies incoming to support us at this time via government funding and without these, we would be looking at a loss of around the £40,000 mark.

I hope you would agree that we would support the Finance Director’s report and accept the Draft financial accounts for the year ending 31 August 2020.

Membership Fees

The ECF is proposing that they keep the direct membership fees the same as the 2020-21 season and I would agree to this. (As of March 2021 from figures from the director of membership, we have 1033 Adult Silver members, 1281 Junior member and 789 new silver junior members, compared to last year 2007 Adult, 1533 junior and 1388 new junior members). Whilst the membership is currently lower in numbers due to covid and no OTB chess, I see that so far over 6701 members have paid their membership fees. This is encouraging and I would hope that we can support chess in this time.

Budget

The Finance Director has presented his budget which you can access via this link https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... dsheet.xls)

It is hoped that we can accept the budget proposals for 2021-22 as set out in the Finance Director documents.

Authority of Variation

The board is asking that they may revise the budget in the light of circumstances as they develop during the summer period and beyond, bringing such revisions before future Council meetings as shall be practical.

The next three are from the Governance Committee

Voting Register

Directors’ Tenure of Office

Votes for Online chess

The Link is on this page (C34.10-12-Governance-Committee-Commentary-on-the-Special-Resolutions.pdf (englishchess.org.uk))

I am asking for your views on how you would like votes to be cast on your behalf, especially the Directors Tenure of Office as there is knock on effects for people like the President, Director of International Chess, the Chief Executive and other people’s roles now and in the future.

County Championship 2021 and County Championship Team rating limit

The Director of Home Chess has put forward what to do about the 2019/20 season and also the 2021/2022 season, as well as running a friendly 2020 Counties “Summer” Competition in August/September time, but the main talking points will be the team rating and will be based on the selection criteria and board ordering rules on the monthly list. It will be the Original Official September list as published unless otherwise specified by the Counties Controller.

The Grading Limits will be proposal on the New ECF Elo grading.

U1400, U1600, U1800, U2000 and Open

It will mean that we will be losing one of the grading bands as it is it at the moment

U100 (1450) U120 (1600) U140 (1750) U160 (1900) U180 (2050) and Open

Overall

I hope you can give me guidance on how you would like me to vote as in the last 6 years as your Silver Direct Member representative, I hope you have been happy with my representation of your views at the ECF Meeting and I will be looking to stand again in the 2021 Election again. As I stated last year:

“I would like to say thank you to every one of you who voted for me and read my election address. I do not take for granted the role I have undertaken over the past few years – I am proud to have been your representative, but I have never rested on my laurels. I am proactive in this role and I feel that I have a good balance of skills and approaches - I canvass the opinions of the Silver members, and it is down to you to guide us and put forward any motions to the AGM & Finance Council.” And as my fellow Rep Tim Wall mentioned in his Election report to you all “we will consult Silver members and aim to put forward as accurately as possible their views at ECF Council meetings, so that rank-and-file members’ interests and opinions are respected and listened to at all levels”

Many thanks,

Your ECF Silver Member Rep

John Reyes
[email protected]

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Angus French wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Have you looked at the financials at all, John? Also, presumably there are documents still to be published.
here is the link and i have seen it

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/e ... and-board/

Adam has done a great job and looking at the Figures and after seeing how many members we have so far who have renew their membership, it is around over 60% at the moment.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:05 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm
Angus French wrote:
John Reyes wrote:

Adam has done a great job and looking at the Figures and after seeing how many members we have so far who have renew their membership, it is around over 60% at the moment.
Well, I'm wondering if the projected membership numbers for 2021/22 - at between 75% and 85% of 2019/20 levels - aren't optimistic. I'm thinking there's a danger that membership fee income could easily come in lower if not much lower than expected. What would happen then? Already reserves are low and estimated - if the budget is approved - to reach £8,357... Would it really be prudent to commit to not one but two international team events in the year?

I think there are documents for the meeting still to be published such as the Finance Committee's report.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 pm

Angus French wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:05 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm
Angus French wrote:

Well, I'm wondering if the projected membership numbers for 2021/22 - at between 75% and 85% of 2019/20 levels - aren't optimistic. I'm thinking there's a danger that membership fee income could easily come in lower if not much lower than expected. What would happen then? Already reserves are low and estimated - if the budget is approved - to reach £8,357... Would it really be prudent to commit to not one but two international team events in the year?

I think there are documents for the meeting still to be published such as the Finance Committee's report.
i have message Rob who has giving me the figures for this year membership and i don't know rob well, but i'm very impressed on what he is doing for chess. if you want to asked him but i'm hope that more members will help the ECF. Malcolm is working behind the scenes, like all the other Directors and we need to support the ECF

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:40 pm
we need to support the ECF
Ah, is it deepity season already? Excellent.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am

Support by Members is Essential for the ECF
...........How soon can you renew your Membership for 2021-2022?
Paul Robert Jackson

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am
maybe in june/july time but we need to agreed on the membership fees 1st

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:30 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:55 am
maybe in June /July time but we need to agreed on the membership fees 1st
Hopefully they will remain unchanged
.....but a reduction for returning members, who missed joining last year, could tempt people to join early.
Last edited by Paul Robert Jackson on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Robert Jackson

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm

Ah! The modern business practice. Charge your loyal customers more than your disloyal ones.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:30 pm
John Reyes wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:59 am
maybe in June /July time but we need to agreed on the membership fees 1st
Hopefully they will remain unchanged
,,,,but a reduction for returning members, who missed joining last year, could tempt people to join early.
I thought I read somewhere that there might be another incentive to join the ECF offered by Chess & Bridge. If there is, and it's the same as last year, I suppose people who joined last year because of it may do so again, and those that didn't still won't.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:39 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm
I thought I read somewhere that there might be another incentive to join the ECF offered by Chess & Bridge.
Isn't the best incentive that the ECF encourages some OTB chess to actually take place? Even better that it takes place unrestricted by rules inspired by risk aversion.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:39 pm
Ian Thompson wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 pm
I thought I read somewhere that there might be another incentive to join the ECF offered by Chess & Bridge.
Isn't the best incentive that the ECF encourages some OTB chess to actually take place? Even better that it takes place unrestricted by rules inspired by risk aversion.
Hopefully a congress such as the "July 4NCL" & "Scarborough" can take place.
We may then get an indication of what "Restriction's of Association" will be enforced by venues hosting these events.

I anticipate Hotel Chains & Local Councils etc. will all have different interpretation's of the Govt Guidelines.
For example:
I expect a local sports or social club to be more interested in Opening its Public Bar with Social Distancing & Table Service
....than welcoming back the Local Chess Club.

I am not expecting there will be any clear indication of how to restart Competitive Board Games.
Paul Robert Jackson