Online Voting Rights/ OMOV

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
J T Melsom

Re: Online Voting Rights/ OMOV

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:59 am

And I think your clarification actually reinforces my point. What can be more introspective than debate in this place without any output in the place that matters? I generally enjoy your contributions, and constitutional debate has its interests, but the tone of your posts here for somebody broadly in favour of the proposals were misjudged, more so if you aren't formally advocating an alternative this year or next.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:11 am

I described the proposals as introspective because they were proposed by ECF officials as a reaction to an issue they wanted to work on impacting the internal mechanisms of the ECF. It isn't a synonym for stupid. If I thought that, I would have said so.

It seems like your position is simply that I should be more supportive of the ECF Board, whether I agree with it or not. I think that would make me a poor member of the ECF, since the role I volunteered for was to say what I thought was in the interests of the members I am representing and what is not.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:33 am

Always good to see vigorous and meaningful debate on the forum. (I am serious about that.)

Don't want to appear to take a side here so what folliws is not meant to be aimed at anyone in particular.

"There are alternatives, finding a way to give organisers money for example."

I don't quite get the specific idea - is it the kind of financial support that FIDE have just announced for OTB organisers?

Also, a question regarding the organisers of online events - will they have to contribute any of their uncertain (entry fees? subscriptions? sponsorship? advertising?) income to the ECF's coffers?

The distribution of hard currency online is very uneven and it is possible to have a high-equity business model based on future profits but current financial losses.

Online currencies are inherently too unstable to trust.

But I'm digressing so will stop now.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:37 am

Don't mind dissent about policy at all. But if you are serious about change, then the way in which you try to effect change matters and that of necessity includes how you present your case. I may have placed too much emphasis on certain phrases, and might have misjudged their intent, but the support for the underlying proposal seemed to me at least rather lukewarm.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 am

John McKenna wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:33 am
"There are alternatives, finding a way to give organisers money for example."

I don't quite get the specific idea - is it the kind of financial support that FIDE have just announced for OTB organisers?

Also, a question regarding the organisers of online events - will they have to contribute any of their uncertain (entry fees? subscriptions? sponsorship? advertising?) income to the ECF's coffers?
I am being coy about who said what in the meeting, in a way I am not for eg a Council meeting where things are clearly on the record.

But the discussion was broadly in this sequence "are extra votes really what organisers want from the ECF to run online events?" "Yes, in the view of the proposers" "No, I don't want more votes I'd rather not have to pay the ECF" "Actually you don't, it is the entrants who have to join the ECF" " Well yes, but I have to make them, it is pretty much the same"

If you want an unofficial idea, give it £1000 budget and give £500 to the best event as judged by the usual suspects and £100 each to the 5 honourable mentions. And a fancy certificate, title, etc

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 am

My thanks to Paul C for his informative reply.

The exchange here between Paul C and JT Melsom is giving a welcome insight to online goings-on.

Interesting that the old way of rustling up ECF memberships via the organisers is mooted.

There could (already) be a number of players who have never played OTB who would be prepared to join the ECF in some capacity to play in its online events.

Unfortunately for the online organisers they are even more at the point of sale than offline.

After a suitable period of reflection let's all keep calm and carry on...