Manifesto of Gerry Walsh

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Manifesto of Gerry Walsh

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 am

ELECTION ADDRESS BY GERRY WALSH AS CANDIDATE FOR FIDE DELEGATE

It is with pleasure that I offer myself for re-election as FIDE and ECU Delegate for the term 2009 – 2010 and I append my latest report.

During the last twelve months ECF has played its full part in world and European competitions at all levels. The junior sections in particular have been well represented, and I was pleased to be present at the recent European Youth Championships in Italy to see first-hand the opportunities being offered to our young talent. I was pleased that our new Director of Junior Chess and Education, Peter Purland, was also able to be at the event. I was present in my capacity as Deputy President of the European Chess Union and they paid my costs. In the last year I have not claimed any costs for attending FIDE or ECU meetings from the ECF budget - this is because all the meetings I attended had an ECU board meeting as well all expenses were met by ECU. I would like to take this occasion to thank our International Rating Officer, Ray Ryan, who does an excellent job submitting accurate data for titles and ratings of all English players. I would also like to thank Dr.Jana Bellin (Medical Commission), Stewart Reuben (Rules and Organisers Committee), David Sedgwick (Arbiters Council), Jonathan Speelman (Medical Committee) and Peter Wilson (Organisers, Trainers, Computer and Internet Committees) for the work they carry out within the FIDE structure.
In addition I serve as adviser to the FIDE President on matters affecting players who are disabled. David Jarret is now Executive Director of FIDE working in the Athens office; he is a great source of assistance whenever Cynthia or I seek his help and we thank him for this.
The ECU has produced a new draft set of statutes which ECF board have seen and these will be voted on at the general Assembly of ECU during the European Team Championships in Novi Sad in October this year just after Council.

I wrote to the organisers of this year's World Junior Championships in Argentina to argue the case for omitting a double-round day and having one game a day. FIDE have informed me that such a change will not be possible as they had agreed this format some time ago, and in fact refused the request that two double-round days be played. I have suggested to the board that we write to FIDE in order to try and change things for future of both World Junior and World Youth tournaments where this practice has been permitted.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Short

Re: Manifesto of Gerry Walsh

Post by Nigel Short » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:20 pm

It is the first time I have seen this. Gerry Walsh claims credit for protesting against the schedule of the World Junior Championship. What a shameless imposter...
David Howell came close to winning the event last year and will again be one of the top-rated players in Argentina (although well behind Maxime Vachier-Lagrave). Of course after a 35 hour journey to Patagonia, with the effects of jet-lag to boot, David will be especially vulnerable in the early rounds - especially because on the second day there are two rounds. Angeline Howell asked Gerry Walsh, in his capacity as ECF President, to protest against the schedule. He refused, saying that it would be better if David complained. Can you believe it? Who are the Argentineans more likely to listen to? The President of a major chess federation or a teenage boy?
This grossly irresponsible answer shows why he is utterly unfit to be ECF FIDE Delegate (or President). He obviously either does not understand anything about what it is to play chess at a high level, or he is utterly indifferent. Only after Stewart Reuben and Chris Majer impressed upon him the great importance of this point did he agree to act. Now he now claims the credit. I am speechless...