Explanations for an idiot (Winter British)

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Rogers

Explanations for an idiot (Winter British)

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 pm

I find it too difficult to work out from the website how this "winter British" is working. How many are pre-qualified, how many can still qualify, to what do they qualify, and how to find the games?? I have tried discerning the above from the document on the ECF website but it seems to assume or omit a lot of knowledge of all this ...or I might be an idiot. Either way, help appreciated!

Ian Thompson

Re: Explanations for an idiot (Winter British)

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 pm
I find it too difficult to work out from the website how this "winter British" is working. How many are pre-qualified, how many can still qualify, to what do they qualify, and how to find the games?? I have tried discerning the above from the document on the ECF website but it seems to assume or omit a lot of knowledge of all this ...or I might be an idiot. Either way, help appreciated!
This will answer some of the questions.
brit qual.jpg
brit qual.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
It's not clear to me how the majority of players on the List of direct entries obtained their place.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm
It's not clear to me how the majority of players on the List of direct entries obtained their place.
Top seed for the qualifier is Peter Sowray, so that gives a implied rating cut off of sorts. Apart from those flagged as Welsh etc., it isn't so obvious why others have been made exempt from the requirement to qualify. It would seem that when the "Championship" proper takes place, there's going to be something of a tail of weaker players.

Pete Morriss

Post by Pete Morriss » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:54 pm

The Senior Qualifier (over 65) was not held, as there were not enough entries to warrant it, and all entrants have proceeded to the Final. So it's not clear to me how, or if, anybody can qualify for the Championship Final via this route

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 pm
This will answer some of the questions.

brit qual.jpg

As an idiot trying to make sense of the above the best I can do regarding who is actually playing -

Direct: Adams, Turner, Ghazi, Gormally, Fernandez, Hebden, Wadsworth, Lalic, Grieve, Claridge-Hansen, Toma?

Qualifiers: Shafi, Villiers, Cox, Wills, Evans, Finn, Rathbone-Jones, Gordon, Finn, Idle, Volovich, Greenwood?

Women: Arora, Oh, Varney?

Seniors: none?

Juniors: Stubbs, Balaji, Shearsby, Ismail Mohammed,A.

Scotland: Tate?

Wales: Toczek, Blackburn?
Ulster: (edit - none?)
Ireland: Goss, O'Gorman?
Channel Isles: Gurner?

India: Chopra?

That adds up to 37 names.

Gormally & Tate (edit - Greenwood has had some problems and appears to be out) have not played the first two rounds and are not paired for the third. (That indicates they have not taken up their places and will play no part.)

Hebden may be playing as a subsitute for Gormally!?

Edit: correction - Hebden did play in round 1 and it was Ismail Mohammed (unpaired) who did not.

It could be said that some of the 12 qualifiers from the Championship Qualifier were the recipients of considerable slices of luck.