Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Should the ECF organise more chess?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 26

Paul Robert Jackson

Re: Should the ECF try to organise more chess?

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
The usual expectation is that the British takes place during the school holiday period.
Maybe its time to move forward
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
Last edited by Paul Robert Jackson on Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Robert Jackson

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm
If junior (or main) events need separated groups of size < N qualifying into one final group of size < N then that is what is needed.
The trouble is that we have no idea what will be needed and, based on current practice, we won't have a much better idea two weeks before the event is due to start.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks everyone who voted.

When I asked the question I expected a clear "No", because there there was a consensus the ECF should remain as an umbrella organisation.

Where people have expressed an opinion for "Yes" usually because they see some unmet demand for new events, which I had not anticipated.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
The usual expectation is that the British takes place during the school holiday period.
....& move away from the rather old fashioned, holding the Championship's during the "Summer Academic Break".
So when would you hold the British, or do you do a US style event?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Its more than likely "The British" will not run as planned next year.
....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.
& moving them back to OTB events may be quite difficult.

Open to suggestion's.
Paul Robert Jackson

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm
John Reyes wrote:

....this has the potential to move the competition, especially the large junior events online.

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
And if there is some level of vaccinations, then the risk will be even lower

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:20 pm
Thanks everyone who voted.

When I asked the question I expected a clear "No", because there there was a consensus the ECF should remain as an umbrella organisation.

Where people have expressed an opinion for "Yes" usually because they see some unmet demand for new events, which I had not anticipated.
To be honest, I thought the original question was misconceived. It's easy to say "the ECF should organise" this or that. Too often, what that really means is "I want another member of the ECF, but definitely not me, to organise". The ECF isn't a robotic organism that, without human involvement, organises events.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm

I understand Roger's point. I did try to contextualise the question. There seem to be humans who are part of the ECF executive wondering what to do with their resources that the members will appreciate. I thought increasing the number of events the ECF runs might be it, but didn't manage to formulate a question that was very useful.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:29 pm
John Reyes wrote:

Open to suggestion's.
Why not? If covid levels go back to this summer's levels, other countries proved that big tournaments can be safely held.
A reliable vaccine by next spring (even if, almost inevitably, it can't be rolled out everywhere to begin with) should make at least a significant amount of OTB chess feasible again. Certainly the ECF could hope to hold the British Championships in that event IMO.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:25 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:

Open to suggestion's.
A reliable vaccine by next spring (even if, almost inevitably, it can't be rolled out everywhere to begin with) should make at least a significant amount of OTB chess feasible again. Certainly the ECF could hope to hold the British Championships in that event IMO.
If the government only roll a vaccine out for the most vulnerable people, I would think the issues of mask wearing, protection and social distancing will be ongoing throughout all next year and next winter. Although presumably events will start up again at some point, the higher risk factor might deter large fields gathering for a long time. https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... e-12116971

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:54 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:04 pm
I understand Roger's point. I did try to contextualise the question. There seem to be humans who are part of the ECF executive wondering what to do with their resources that the members will appreciate. I thought increasing the number of events the ECF runs might be it, but didn't manage to formulate a question that was very useful.
It was difficult to phrase my previous post without appearing to criticise Paul, which wasn't my intention. Instead I felt somewhat critical of those respondents who answered 'yes' if that signified that they expected others to undertake more, often unpaid, work without themselves rolling their own sleeves up or intending to do so.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:29 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
John Reyes wrote:

Open to suggestion's.
Professor Hiscox
"But he warns that going back to normality will require a vaccine that both stops people getting sick and prevents them spreading the virus. That, he says, will take five years."
Paul Robert Jackson

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:03 pm

An assessment that is not universally shared. And returning to something more like normal is not the same as "full" normality.

(which may still be a while away, indeed *some* things may be changed permanently by this)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 pm

There’s a scientific view gathering strength that secondary schools are spreading a lot of virus. Bojo probably slipped up yet again not including some measure there as it’s likely to increase the length of time of this lockdown and future ones.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:31 pm
There’s a scientific view gathering strength that secondary schools are spreading a lot of virus.
I wouldn't be sure about infant and primary schools either. Not the children, but the mingle of parents gathering around the school to deliver and collect.