ECF AGM 17/10/20

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

ECF AGM 17/10/20

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi all

Thought i would opened the chat about this year AGM

These are the people who is standing or not and it will be interested to see who will be putting there names forward and supported the members of the ECF

Members of the Board
Director of Finance – David Eustace is not intending to stand
Director of Membership – Dave Thomas is intending to stand
Director of Home Chess – Adrian Elwin is intending to stand
Non-Executive Director – Julie Denning is not intending to stand

Other elected posts
Chairman of the Council – Michael Farthing is intending to stand
FIDE Delegate – Malcolm Pein is intending to stand
Members of the Finance Committee (this Committee has no fixed size) – Ray Clark is intending to stand
Members of the Governance Committee (this Committee has no fixed size) – Andrew Leadbetter is not intending to stand; Michael Farthing is intending to stand
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Re: ECF AGM 17/10/20

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm

ECF announcement re Dave Thomas
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:02 pm
ECF announcement re Dave Thomas
That is good to hear as I have a lot of time for people who do a lot for the ECF and Dave Thomas is really good for the board

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Update on Direct of Membership

I announced on 21st August that I was planning to stand again as Membership Director for no longer than a year, in order to ensure delivery of the new monthly grading system in particular. Since that announcement, I am very pleased to be able to say that, because another candidate has now come forward who plans to stand as Membership Director, a candidate with whom I have had detailed discussions and who I believe will do a great job as my successor if elected, I have decided to withdraw my candidacy.
I have confirmed both to the candidate and to the Chief Executive that I am more than willing to carry on for a period in a technical expert capacity and to ensure a smooth hand-over. This will hopefully allow the new Membership Director to focus on the more outward-facing aspects of the job such as membership retention and acquisition, which are so critical to the ECF’s present survival and future prosperity.

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/membership-director/

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 am

The candidates have been announced:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/agm-ann ... andidates/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am

John Swain wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 am
A contested election for Director of Home Chess, Nigel Towers v Tim Wall.

An immediate problem for the new appointee is that outside of online chess, there isn't very much Home Chess to direct and unless there's a way of ignoring the government's ban on gatherings of more than six, not much prospect of there being any.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am
John Swain wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 am
A contested election for Director of Home Chess, Nigel Towers v Tim Wall.

An immediate problem for the new appointee is that outside of online chess, there isn't very much Home Chess to direct and unless there's a way of ignoring the government's ban on gatherings of more than six, not much prospect of there being any.
i would love to see what they bring to the table and how they would improved Home chess, as Alex did try to do it and certain people did not like it

Also Will Rob Willmoth/Tim wall will be stepping down as Direct members if they get elected onto the board?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:29 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:42 am
Also Will Rob Willmoth/Tim wall will be stepping down as Direct members if they get elected onto the board?
There's plenty of precedent for ECF Directors to also represent Counties, Leagues or Congresses at Council meetings. It would seem appropriate for there to be a distinction between those representing the individual players and ECF Directors.

Rob is only opposed by "none of the above". Again past precedent doesn't make that a walkover, but he does have the support of the retiring incumbent and other board members.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:36 pm

i'm talking about the direct members, as the directs members from the bronze/silver/gold was nothing to do with the board
(angus might be able to asked that question?)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:06 pm

I agree that it would be a conflict of interest to be director and a direct membership representative at the same time. If Tim and Rob win election to the board they should step down from the direct membership representative role.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:20 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:36 pm
i'm talking about the direct members, as the directs members from the bronze/silver/gold was nothing to do with the board
(angus might be able to asked that question?)
I don't recall that there's anything defined in the Articles or Bye Laws to say that a Direct Members' Rep can't be a Director. (All that I remember is that a person can't hold two Director positions at once.) But I can see a conflict: on the one hand you're representing the people and on the other you're part of the executive. So I'm doubtful it's appropriate to be both a DMR and a Director.... I'm also not sure about a DMR nominating a fellow DMR for a Director position.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:25 pm

I agree it is a conflict of interest. But not one I am immediately worried by. Everyone on the board has several don't they? You'd be hard pushed to find a chess organisation that Alex Holowczak isn't involved in

TimWall

Post by TimWall » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:13 pm

At the suggestion of Michael Farthing, I am posting here a copy of what I have written to him today.
I make no presumptions about the outcome of the election for Director of Home Chess, but am happy to state that - if elected as DoHC - I would step down as Silver members rep.
Here is the text of my email:

Dear Michael,
As Chair of Council, I would like to inform you of a conditional possibility arising from me standing for Director of Home Chess.
My decision to stand for this post was very recent, after I realised that another candidate, who I would have supported wholeheartedly, had decided not to stand.
As the role of Silver Direct Members representative is to speak up for the rank-and-file members of the federation on Council, I would not seek to simultaneously fulfill the role of both Director of Home Chess and Silver Direct Members representative, so I would step down as Silver DMR after the AGM if elected as a director..
I would miss being a Silver rep and working alongside John Reyes, who - as you know, from your time as his fellow Silver rep - is doing a great job.
At this stage it's all hypothetical, but I am sure that in those circumstances you would be able to find an excellent new Silver rep either from the people who stood for the post this summer, or from a new volunteer.
Best regards,
Tim

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Conflicts should be resolved, not avoided. There are quite a few on the board already, another minor one shouldn't make any difference and i would imagine both are sensible enough to manage those conflicts.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:41 pm