Direct Members’ Representatives election

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Direct Members’ Representatives election

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:37 pm

I was wondering that too, Ian, so glad Tim has posted his reasons

I'd instantly thought well, Charlie Higgie and Tim Wall play 4NCL, so must be Gold members, so why not stand as gold reps; I now realise Charlie is Wales not England registered

I won't be voting for either of them not being Bronze or Silver, but would like to see Election addresses from all the Gold reps who I can vote for
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:48 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:10 am
John Reyes wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:41 am
Candidates have been given until the beginning of next week to submit an election address after which all members in these categories will be emailed with instructions on voting and the text of the election addresses.
Is the election to be held before or after the end of August? The point being that if in September presumably only those renewing promptly would be eligible to vote.
The election address needs to be submitted by the 9th august, to be published on the 10th august, and members will have until sunday 16th august to vote and the results will be published on the 17th august, which is also the date by which announcement of the AGM is due
This is what was announced to the candidates. Actually we've now decided to move the close of voting to midnight on Monday and announce the result on Tuesday. This gives a full week, as the the invitation to vote is only likely to out to members late on Monday.
Any speculation as to why the increased interest in holding these positions? In the past,it's been a case sometimes of co-opting people.
Previously the positions have just been advertised on the website and perhaps in the newsletter. This year we sent out a mailing to all members.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:47 pm

I do not know why rush? Holidays.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:47 pm
I do not know why rush? Holidays.
Having reps in place for the run up to the AGM. They might want to submit motions, or nominate candidates for Board posts, for instance.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks hopefully the office is up to a phone call for payment and vote.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:37 pm
I was wondering that too, Ian, so glad Tim has posted his reasons
Nothing he's written strikes me as explaining his decision to stand as a Silver rep instead of a Gold rep. The reasons given for standing apply to all classes of membership, unless you interpret them as meaning he doesn't want to represent the interests of players taking part in FIDE rated events, which would be surprising and beg the question "why not?".

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 pm

To be fair he is obliged, as am I, to be a Gold member at a minimum.

Nothing should stop him representing members at a lower level, though there is an argument (which I believe may be a regulation) for preventing members at a lower level representing those at a higher tier.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm

I agree in principle with the full disclosure advocates. but I'm pretty sure there have been people turning up at recent ECF meetings without having to declare their financial interest. I'm open to correction but my club purchased twelve DGTs from a 'county' representative. So if we are to have such rules the ECF needs to make it a requirement of all constituent bodies not just direct members representatives. And whilst probity is important, I suspect there are more dubious things going unchallenged, so lets not be distracted.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 pm

Nothing should stop him representing members at a lower level, though there is an argument (which I believe may be a regulation) for preventing members at a lower level representing those at a higher tier.
There is no such regulation, but I am curious to know what argument you would present that applies in one direction only?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:30 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:09 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 pm

There is no such regulation, but I am curious to know what argument you would present that applies in one direction only?
There was such a regulation, I believe. I see that this has now been changed, so I apologise.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:09 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:30 pm
There was such a regulation, I believe. I see that this has now been changed, so I apologise.
Until a few years ago, you had to be a member of the relevant class (or classes) at the time of election, although you could serve the year out if you subsequently changed classes.

As has been mentioned, this requirement has now been dropped.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:37 pm

I have just finished off my speech and hope to be handing in before sunday

Just to let you know i'm already a silver member and have been the silver rep since the 2016 AGM

if anyone wanted to asked me a question, i am happy to answer it on her or on DM
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:08 pm

John Reyes

Tim Wall has been effusive in his praise for you. Is this mutual and/or an election pact? I agree that you have taken your role seriously. Thank you.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:01 pm

John's very independent minded, so he's not part of an election pact

It would appear, however, that Tim is in his own words trying exactly that
Together, if we are elected, Aga, Chris, John, myself, Rob and Lorin plan to work together as a team to promote an ECF membership drive that will reach out to OTB and online players alike.
Whether you think this is ok, should be encouraged, or not, is up to you; just like whether silver members prefer to be represented by another silver member I guess

Anyway, Tim won't be debating on here, and the decision is ultimately up to the members to vote for who they want
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:41 am

I don't see any mention on the ECF website about inviting members for whom the ECF has no e-mail address to vote. Are they effectively disenfranchised?

PB