Could Hybrid events save English chess?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Would you be willing to play in ECF-graded hybrid events?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

a) Definitely. They would bring players together safely, encourage ECF membership renewals and reduce travelling costs.
18%
b) No. Hybrid games would not be normal, so I would wait until over-the-board chess is back.
68%
c) Maybe. I'd be willing to try hybrid events and see if they work.
15%

Total votes: 40

Chris Fegan

Re: Could Hybrid events save English chess?

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:44 pm
2022 may be too pessimistic. But for some of us a chess break maybe good.
Nick

2022 is not a prediction but it is a possible scenario and it may be pessimistic and equally it may even be optimistic.

The main point which I wish to make is that chess in England will not go back to where it was before lockdown and we all need to seriously consider what we all need to do as individuals and organisations to ensure the games future in England including finance for the ECF.

If ECF members do not renew in the usual numbers this year because of the lack of "normal" OTB Chess and grades ,etc then the ECF needs to react to that changing landscape in a proactive manner or it could easily end up bust. The same scenario applies to chess organisers, leagues, clubs, etc, etc.

Chris

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm

You write your bit after the close quote tag
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:33 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:30 pm
You write your bit after the close quote tag
so you do

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:19 am

TimWall wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:54 pm
Could Hybrid events save English chess?
English chess or the English Chess Federation? Not at all the same thing. The first will undoubtedly survive in one form or another. The second, I'm less sure about.

I'm not sure I see hybrid events, as you describe them, being too successful. leaving aside the practical issues of finding venues that (a) exist and (b) are appropriate for chess and who these independent invigilators are going to be, the idea of travelling somewhere to in order to do something via the internet just seems odd to me.

Twitch/youtube? Yes the ECF could do something there but it hasn't before so I don't really see why it would suddenly be capable now. When the ECF can make a decent fist of running a twitter account I'll be more inclined to believe it's going to be successful doing the other stuff.

I'm not currently a member of the ECF. For the past few years I've not been able to play OTB for work/life reasons so - as the ECF gave me no reason to stay a member/give them money I stopped doing both. Im not playing but I still spend a fair chunk of my disposal income on chess/chess related stuff. It's just that the ECF isn't seeing any of it anymore.

This, as you identify, is the problem to be solved now, but for everyone not just people in my situation and on the hurry up.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:48 pm

I agree with Chris Fegan that things may not return to normality for quite some time and indeed may never do so. As far as chess is concerned I think that we need to experiment with different ideas and see what works and what doesn't. There will be some trial and error involved but that shouldn't be a bad thing. Indeed it should be part of the fun.

I think the key point is that nobody is obliged to take part in any event if they don't want to and if players wish to wait for traditional events to restart then that is their choice. I do see an underlying worry from some people that if new events are successful they may replace traditional events and must therefore be prevented.

I have to admit that I've not played much chess during the pandemic but I did take part in one local event over lichess and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:52 pm

if anyone look at what Ashton CC has done, it is worth seeing that on their facebook page
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:51 am
Has anyone found the SCCU bulletin issues with the telephone match problems? I scanned several but couldn't find anything.
I am returning to the thread to answer Mike's query:

Surrey v Cornwall

https://sccu-chess.com/bulletins/SCCUBu ... 85_164.pdf, Pages 4 and 5

Dundee v Maidstone

https://sccu-chess.com/bulletins/SCCUBu ... 94_217.pdf

Follow-up correspondence: https://sccu-chess.com/bulletins/SCCUBu ... 94_218.pdf.

(Search both Bulletins for "Dundee")

I see that in 2010 I said that the two incidents occurred a few years apart. It was actually nine years.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:15 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:18 pm
Dundee v Maidstone
By 1994, it would have been possible to use the internet for communication in some fairly coarse manner. compuserve was around, as was Internet Chess Server (later ICC). There was also a form of text messaging (Internet Relay Channel I think it was called) as well as email. Logistically you would need to be somewhere that a dial up connection could be used.

When Bucks faced Cornwall in 1983, it was agreed to travel. We played at one of the more memorable County venues, namely the Taunton cricket ground. It was the quarter final thus before the cricket season had started. Mickey Adams was playing in that match as well, but a little way down the order.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:25 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:48 pm
I agree with Chris Fegan that things may not return to normality for quite some time and indeed may never do so. As far as chess is concerned I think that we need to experiment with different ideas and see what works and what doesn't. There will be some trial and error involved but that shouldn't be a bad thing. Indeed it should be part of the fun.

I think the key point is that nobody is obliged to take part in any event if they don't want to and if players wish to wait for traditional events to restart then that is their choice. I do see an underlying worry from some people that if new events are successful they may replace traditional events and must therefore be prevented.

I have to admit that I've not played much chess during the pandemic but I did take part in one local event over lichess and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Interesting. What I see is an underlying worry from people who are afraid to return to chess that others may do so and have fun without them.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 pm

i think we should be grateful that there are those thinking about how to adapt to the circumstances in which we find ourselves. Many are simply unable to give chess much thought as they wrestle with more pressing issues. These will naturally include some organisers who may accept the merits of the proposals but be unable to assist themselves. And of course others bereft of the chess they know and love will be unable to embrace the change. Some clubs will struggle because the demand to resume may not be viewed in the same light by club officers whether because they have the weight of responsibility/duty of care or because the most diligent and effective officers may be the most anxious. In these circumstances it is better to be considerate of others. Its not helpful to describe people as ostriches, nor to be little the very real concerns that some have, even if you don't share them yourself. My limited exchanges with local clubs over the summer suggests that giving chess any serious thought hasn't been a priority for many at all. I'm slightly exasperated by that, but find it hard to be critical.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:04 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 pm
My limited exchanges with local clubs over the summer suggests that giving chess any serious thought hasn't been a priority for many at all.
I'm not clear whether it's legally possible for individuals from up to twelve households to assemble indoors for a six board match. If it isn't, it lacks point to be overly concerned about the detail of how to lay out a room. I'm guessing it's now probably legal to play outdoors in a pub garden. Or is it?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:19 pm

Roger, I'm not sure either, but my observations are more general than specific. As this is the second time you have made your point about households, you might be advised to consult the community centre. They have clearly indicated that they will accept bookings, so must believe some clubs will be able to fulfill such requirements as apply in the autumn, some of which requirements pose challenges shared with chess, albeit each club will also have specific requirements. It may in truth be the case that they are taking bookings because its a good thing to have rooms taken up provisionally even if we don't know what Boris will be saying in the autumn anymore than we have a clear idea of what might be allowed next week. But I do feel that clubs need to be starting to address some of the potential questions around resumption, or we will get some sort of green light and be floundering around. Those clubs meeting in a community centre will probably be best placed to resume simply because we have more space, but as we cant simply play each other, thats going to be at least one issue to consider.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:33 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:04 pm
I'm not clear whether it's legally possible for individuals from up to twelve households to assemble indoors for a six board match.
I can't see anything in the latest regulations to prohibit this, or indeed a large congress.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks to David for pointing out the issues of the SCCU bulletin which dealt with the problematic telephone matches. It seems that the main issues were with accuracy of transmission of moves. I think this would be much less likely today where either players (or those transmitting moves to players) would see a diagram of the game position on either the screen of a phone or laptop.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:46 am

Hybrid chess doesn't enthuse me really, although like most chess initiatives I wish anyone willing to organise it good luck.

Personally, I think I might play tournament chess OTB before evening league chess. I'm not really expecting the ECF to organise either though.