Could Hybrid events save English chess?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Would you be willing to play in ECF-graded hybrid events?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

a) Definitely. They would bring players together safely, encourage ECF membership renewals and reduce travelling costs.
18%
b) No. Hybrid games would not be normal, so I would wait until over-the-board chess is back.
68%
c) Maybe. I'd be willing to try hybrid events and see if they work.
15%

Total votes: 40

Roger de Coverly

Re: Could Hybrid events save English chess?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:17 am
I believe Scotland and Ireland are entering. England isn’t entering. And I’m not sure about Wales.
To make it work, it has to be legal for the players to get together in one venue. If they can do that, why don't they play normal chess?

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:21 am

This event suggests upto 3 locations in each country to break down the group sizes if needed. But there’s obviously cost and organisational issues attached to that.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 am

The FIDE President comments on Hybrid Chess.

"Dear chess friends,

I would like to clarify FIDE's intentions and goals regarding the introduction of the newly adopted regulations for Online Chess, and in particular, for what we have named "Hybrid format".

First, there was an unambiguous demand for a coherent set of guidelines regarding running online chess competitions, based on our experience throughout 2020. FIDE delivered, by setting clear technical requirements, recommendations for arbiters, and anti-cheating provisions.

Second, the Online Chess Regulations do not contain any provision for ratings and titles. Those are being regulated by rating rules developed and implemented by the FIDE Qualification Commission. QC is generally not against rating and giving titles based on hybrid competitions, but firmly believes that it requires both testing (which we intend to do) and a very cautious implementation. The FIDE Council fully agrees with this approach.

Third, a number of national, zonal, and continental federations are exploring the option of holding their championships under a hybrid format, in particular for the purposes of qualification for the FIDE World Cup due to take place in July 2021. It is now their right to do so. However, FIDE will be monitoring those projects closely, to make sure the events are in full compliance with the Online Chess Regulations. Any decisions regarding ratings and titles shall be taken separately, on an individual basis.

Fourth, we are fully aware of the anti-cheating challenges related to the hybrid chess format. It is both about qualification and independence of arbiters, meeting technical requirements, and behavioural aspects playing online. While having improved substantially FIDE anti-cheating algorithms and allowing the use of statistical analysis as proof of alleged cheating, we believe it would still require a reasonable amount of time to make cheating in chess a high-risk and non-tolerable thing.

Finally, we are in agreement that online (including hybrid) competitive chess is not entirely the same kind of a sports game as "over the board" chess. It lacks the same kind of emotional component and psychological pressures that are experienced when playing face-to-face. At the same time, it requires slightly different technical skills and attitude. Although it is acceptable to use it when circumstances do not allow us to continue with OTB activities, or in order to provide better connectivity of the global chess world, it is not intended as a full-scale substitute for traditional chess, which we are committed to supporting. As a matter of fact, FIDE has just adopted a new program of support to classical chess opens, which details will be announced shortly.

There are many other things to discuss as well (time formats, better visibility of chess for a global audience, and many more) and we are willing to continuing this dialogue on a permanent basis.

Arkady Dvorkovich
FIDE President"

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 pm

I seem to be a grumpy individual at the moment. The same cannot be said of Tim Wall, who I feared might react negatively when what hybrid chess is needed to be explained to Council members this week!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:55 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 pm
I seem to be a grumpy individual at the moment. The same cannot be said of Tim Wall, who I feared might react negatively when what hybrid chess is needed to be explained to Council members this week!
I did appreciate Tim's explanation of monetarism in the latest ECF newsletter. I thought that through years of study I had gained some grasp of the intricacies of money supply, had no idea I was so wrong.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:04 pm

ought to have another poll. seen no new ones to me.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:33 pm

no but the planet needs to half the weight of the chess players