National Online Club Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Phil Makepeace

National Online Club Championships

Post by Phil Makepeace » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm

...started this evening. And what's that? John Nunn in the Minor?

Edit: Strange, it worked earlier. Anyway, I've changed the link to the team page.
Last edited by Phil Makepeace on Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Re: National Online Club Championships

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:36 pm

Phil Makepeace wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm
The direct link doesn't work, but it seems he is playing along with his wife and son (?) for Bude.

Eligibility conditions are
Teams of six players from any club that participates in an ECF-affiliated league, or a league organised by an ECF-affiliated county, are eligible to compete. Other teams may be accepted by permission of the Championship Controller. Players are eligible to play for a club if they fulfil one of these criteria: (a)They have played at least one game for the club in an ECF-graded team competition either in this season or the season that immediately precedes it;(b)They have played at least one game in an ECF-graded club internal competition at that club either in this season or the season that immediately precedes it. For the purposes of this rule, 4NCL squads do not count as a club. Players must be ECF members (Bronze or above)
Not sure how teams were seeded for the purposes of allocation to the three sections.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 am

"The direct link doesn't work, but it seems he is playing along with his wife and son (?) for Bude."

He has been playing for Bude.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:58 pm

Phil Makepeace wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm

Edit: Strange, it worked earlier. Anyway, I've changed the link to the team page.
Good of John to play in the Minor - I'm sure there will be some opponents who will welcome a game against a well-known GM whom they who would likely never otherwise have played.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:52 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 am
"The direct link doesn't work, but it seems he is playing along with his wife and son (?) for Bude."

He has been playing for Bude.
The Bude team is made up of three Nunns and two Constables! Is that a record?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:20 pm

The last DCCA team rapidplay had a Sidmouth team made up of four Bacons.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:25 pm

"The last DCCA team rapidplay had a Sidmouth team made up of four Bacons."

Hope they didn't make a pig's ear of it.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:41 pm

With the event having just ended, I'd like to thank the organising team from Hull for all their hard work. Having organised one or two [smaller] events myself, I can testify to the considerable amount of time and effort involved. It has been really appreciated.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:41 pm
With the event having just ended, I'd like to thank the organising team from Hull for all their hard work. Having organised one or two [smaller] events myself, I can testify to the considerable amount of time and effort involved. It has been really appreciated.
Seconded, I really enjoyed the tournament (and even managed to win a couple of half-decent games!) -from where I was sitting, it all seemed to run pretty smoothly which is usually evidence of excellent preparation!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 pm

I'd also like to congratulate the arbiters and organisers for a splendid weekend and also acknowledge the contributions made by half-a-dozen others working invisibly behind the scene. Great job by everyone. The team dynamic was inspiring. On two occasions in our matches in the Major the crucial last game to finish was watched by most of the ten players who had finished their games. You could almost hear the buzz on WhatsApp and over email as the final moves were played out. The National Club was dead a few months ago but has been brought back to life. The 34 teams and their captains nursing more than 200 players made this special. Even if over-the-board chess should return next year I reckon this should remain an online championship going forward.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am

Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:43 pm

I only got back to chess this month after a layoff of about 12 months or so, but I`m interested in playing some of the online matches if possible. The only main snag is that I am not a fully paid up member of the ECF for this season..
However, I wish the Manchester teams good luck this weekend.
.Looking at the news today, regarding the corona virus, it appears that normal service for otb chess and our leagues, etc should start in earnest in October...I certainly hope so.
But I`m also sure that the online offerings from the ECF etc should be retained if possible. The new zoom facilites make these features potentially quite attractive I think.
BRING BACK THE BCF