London Design Festival- The Tournament

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
benedgell

London Design Festival- The Tournament

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:30 am

Thought I'd keep a blog of The Tournament, here at Trafalgar Square. Essentially a giant, artistic chess set, on a stage right in the middle of Trafalgar Square- it really makes quite a sight!
Today was press day, with Anish Ramakrishnan, the London u8 champion, and Emma Bentley being photographed alongside pieces up to 2 metres tall. It had a very large press interest, with several tv crews and dozens of photographers arriving. I should also mention that CJ De Mooi was there, and was duly roped into being photographed.
Following a break for lunch there were 2 games as trial runs for later in the week. It all went fairly smoothly, and with the beautiful weather we experienced this afternoon, and Stewart Reuben providing the commentary, there was a big audience to watch the games. Sadly I continued to do my reputation for boring chess no harm, by having a relatively uneventful draw, but nevertheless, a good chance to trial it for later in the week. With any luck I'll post the game on here at some point, just in case anyone's run out of sedatives :wink: The second game featured myself and Stewart playing, with CJ providing the commentary. It was a more exciting game for the large crowd, and aside from lot's of insults in my direction from a certain commentator, again seemed to go well.
Tomorrow features members of the public playing. As long as the weather stays as nice as today, we should get big crowds again. Later on in the week we're expecting to see some games from various junior players, members of the public, and maybe the odd GM or 2.
I strongly advise you to come along to this unique occasion.
I'll post again later in the week, but for anyone wanting to see some of the pictures from today-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tival.html

Alex Holowczak

Re: London Design Festival- The Tournament

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Couldn't help but laugh at this:

"The winner of the competition overseen by the English Chess Federation will be in line for a new pair of ... shoes." :lol:

I suppose it is at least original. :)

Michele Clack

Post by Michele Clack » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Well done Ben! Just a few days in post and you are already in the thick of things by taking part in this publicity. Well done CJ as well. Any chance of persuading the artist to take this chess set on a tour of the UK with events like this all over the country?

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi again. Thanks for the comments. I should mention the shoes are veeeerry nice indeed. Also, I believe the intention is to auction the pieces off after the Design Festival.
Day 2 at The Tournament, and with the trial games out of the way, we handed over to the general public to play games of chess, with them seeing a smaller chess set up on the thrones, and calling out the moves, which Stewart and I then relayed to the people who moved the pieces.
The first game we hit a bit of a snag- the original plan was for each game to last for about an hour, and then allowing a half hour break for everything to be re-set and readied for the next game. The snag being- what if the game over-ran? Obviously people turn up shortly before the publicised start times, expecting their games to start on time. In the first game, the chap I was relaying the moves for was fairly adept at email/ correspondence chess, and with that experience chose to think for a few minutes over most moves. Quite reasonable of course, but it does make things a little difficult in terms of keeping to schedule. The draw that was agreed perhaps annoyed my team- mate a little bit, who was in a much better position, but nevertheless, he admitted he enjoyed the occasion and that was the important thing.
The second game managed to start just about on time, but with little break in between the 2 games. It featured Aashna Mahajan and Owen Messere, 2 local junior players. The game again ended in a draw, and even the guys and gals moving the pieces began to ask "people do win at this sometimes, right?"
Thankfully, next up to bat was Greek FM Michail Chatzidakis. His opponent Edward Knockles came very much dressed to the nines in a dinner suit, and seemed determined to enjoy the occasion as much as possible. He got a great reaction posing for the crowd, but ultimately substance overcame style in fairly swift order.
The next game up featured Jayant Mahajan playing against Sheila Dines. Jayant is the younger brother of Aashna, and although obviously a very talented player, was no match for Sheila who won in a convincing manner. With Stewart taking a break from commentating, I took over the reigns. I have to say I have immense respect for Andrew Martin, Stuart Conquest and the many others who commentate on games to such a fine standard. Not easy in the slightest! Of course when you're standing at ground level, and looking up at some of the pieces, it's very easy to miss tactics, or reel off a line that looks pretty reasonable, only to realise it's rather rubbish. I think it went okay, although trying to talk about chess to a large audience (there were several hundred people there at any one time for most of the day) who possibly know very little about chess, and are looking at pieces that, although very attractive, are by no means conventional, is a pretty difficult task.
The next game was possibly the best of the day in pure chess terms. Featuring Iain Henderson and Martin Smith, who are both experienced players, it was a wild sacrificial game, that featured an ending with white having 2 rooks against blacks 1 rook and connected past pawns. Iain was generous enough to play the ending all the way to mate, and large parts of the audience seemed genuinely enthralled by the chess.
The last game featured 2 enthusiastic Australian players. Given this was the 6th game of the day, and most of the day had been played in beautiful, albeit swelteringly hot, weather, it was only natural that tiredness started to creep in a little bit. It had reached quite an interesting R+ N ending, when out of nowhere it started to pour down. Thankfully the good people at the London Design Festival gave us all umbrellas, but with the risk of people, or perhaps worse the pieces, slipping and being damaged, the last game had to be cut short.
I should also mention the help we received throughout the day from Brian Smith and Jeff Goldberg which was very much appreciated.
And as promised, clash of the titans, egghead versus deadhead, cj v me:

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:27 am

Hope everyone's enjoying the blog. Any comments/ questions, gratefully received. Today Brian Smith and Adam Raoof came along to help with commentary, photographs, and relaying moves, and their help was certainly very much appreciated.
Day 3 started with a visit from Blue Peter, the children's tv show, to record a segment for the show. I don't think there can be many people out there who didn't grow up watching Blue Peter, and seeing those badges live and in colour... well it made my week :D The original plan was for the Blue Peter presenter Joel to team up with Emma Bentley to play against Megan Owens, but they changed their minds fairly late on and it turned into Joel against Emma. I should mention Emma did a terrific job publicising chess on the press day on Friday, and handled herself equally well in front of the cameras today. Also, yours truly got to relay Joel's moves to the board, so with any luck my voice, or possibly the hand that I used to move the pieces on the smaller boards next to the thrones, will be coming to a small screen near you in the near future. Faaame!
The 2nd game up was scheduled to be British Senior Champion Tony Ashby against Oli Elliot, but after Megan was somewhat moved aside from the first game, Tony very kindly dropped out and allowed Megan to play. In spite of a constant barrage of childish insults and annoying banter from a very immature move relayer (who shall remain nameless) Megan got a nice win, and will shortly be the proud owner of a stylish pair of red shoes as a prize. Whether the prize is for putting up with the trash talking, or for winning the game, she certainly earned it.
The third game was originally scheduled to be Danny Sargeant against Rachel Croft, but when Rachel only arrived a few minutes before the scheduled start time, which wasn't really enough time to fill in the required health and safety forms, Tony Ashby, who had stayed to do some kibitzing, got to play a game. Normally Danny, a self confessed enthusiastic amateur, would certainly have struggled against such prestigious opposition, but with a little bit of help from Adam Raaof, he managed to get a draw.
Game 4 featured 2 junior players, Owen Ford and Jeremy Hughes, 9 and 7 respectively, facing off. It was great to see a couple of youngsters really enthusiastic about chess, and they got the biggest crowd, and possibly the biggest cheers of the day to boot. In the end Owen's 3 years chess experience to Jeremy's 1 told, but both enjoyed a great few hours entertainment.
Game 5 was originally scheduled to be Wesley Zuzarte against Joao Alfonso, but when Joao couldn't make it, Sheila Dines stepped in to play. It was useful to have an experienced chess player playing, as Sheila could relay her own moves, Brian helped Wesley relay his moves, and Stuart and Adam provided the commentary. All of which left the handsome, and extremely charismatic, fourth member of this ECF quartet free to go and enjoy a well earned lunch. Not entirely sure what happened in the game, but Sheila won out in the end.
The last game of the day, game 6, and the extremely handsome and charismatic (I'll stop) fourth member of the ECF quartet was back in the fray. It was originally scheduled to be Hass Tagiuri against Jenny Wingfield, but when neither arrived Yaoyoo Zhu and birthday boy Justin Hadi agreed to step in and play. They were only called pretty near to the scheduled start time, when it became clear that both of the scheduled players weren't going to arrive, but both were more then happy to play, and arrived with time to spare, so I really do owe them a big thanks. The game ended with smiles all round, and a draw agreed.
With no rain to interrupt play this evening, we got a full hour of admiring the pieces under the lights. They really do look stunning. I know there's been a lot of chess players who've come to watch, and I very much appreciate the support, but for anyone who so far hasn't gone, the last game of the evening, at 7pm is really one to come and see.
One last thing on a personal note, anyone from the South West who knows the results of the West of England Counties' Jamboree, please let me know. I want to know how many points Somerset won by :wink:

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:48 am

benedgell wrote:Hope everyone's enjoying the blog. Any comments/ questions, gratefully received.
Thanks Ben for an interesting report - you seem to be off to a good start :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 am

Any idea when it will be broadcast on Blue Peter?

Justin Hadi

Post by Justin Hadi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:39 pm

Thanks Ben, I really enjoyed playing under the night sky. The pieces were very beautiful. Here is the game for those who are interested.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:27 pm

Who is this handsome, charismatic etc, Ben?

Thanks for asking me along, and thanks also to Tony Ashby, who played the following game in the spirit of the event - and even put up with my sledging over the headsets! To be fair, Danny chose all the enterprising moves, even under serious pressure to impress his girlfriend who was videoing the whole thing ;-)

Ben's commentary was great. I learned a lot from listening to him. Danny and I weren't even looking at Qc3+ until Ben and Stewart mentioned it - so we guiltily accepted Tony's carefully timed draw offer. Anyone who has video or photos is invited to post the links here; I only took four photos myself.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamraoof/ ... ournament/

It was a real pleasure to commentate to 200+ people in the sunshine, in the most amazing location. More please!

Last edited by Adam Raoof on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:07 pm

What's the agenda for Wednesday? Sorry if it's all on the web somewhere - just give the link if so.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:20 pm

In the WECU jamboree, I think Somerset "A" got 7.5 in the graded section, ahead of Devon and one other on 6.5. Apologies to whoever the other team was, i have forgotten.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

cjdemooi

Post by cjdemooi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 pm

cjdemooi wrote:There was this too...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 840741.ece
A lot more publicity than the current President and Marketing Director have managed recently me thinks :!:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Today's games included this:

Jack Rudd v Players In Consultation

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 am

Day 4 at The Tournament.
I'm not sure when Blue Peter will be showing the footage they got at The Tournament. They were in a bit of a rush to get some 'wrapping- up' footage with the pieces before the next game started, so I didn't get the chance to speak to them about it, unfortunately. It's quite possible it'll be on Tuesday, at 4.30 pm, although there's another episode of Blue Peter on Wednesday as well. Sorry I can't be specific.
Wednesday's schedule, as thing's stand looks a little something like this: game 1 Robert Urquhart vs Philip Conneller at 11.30am, game 2 Jai Stokes vs Fernando Villasevil at 1pm, game 3 Fernando Lopez vs Shamal Kamalyan at 2.30, game 4 Angus Montgomery vs Tom Baks at 4pm, and the final game of the day, and indeed the event, is Carl Blinco vs Jeff Page at 5.30pm.
Also, thanks Rob for letting me know how Somerset got on.

Again we were very fortunate to have people willing and able to lend a hand and help with commentating, relaying moves, and standing in for anyone who didn't arrive on time. So Jack Rudd, and especially Michael White, a big thank you to you both.
Game 1 today featured Steven Coles and Joel Knight. Steven Coles, an experienced player, gave Joel a draw when the time ran out. Wish I could add something more on this game, I honestly do, but my mind's gone a bit blank this evening.
Game 2 was originally scheduled to feature Sarah De Haas against Olivier Ward, but when Olivier didn't arrive Jack Rudd stepped into the fray and happily agreed to play. Sarah had only a little chess knowledge, and even with her friend who joined her in the experience, it was looking largely one- sided. Enter chief tormentor, and occasional chess player, yours truly to give them both a helping hand. As you can see from Jack's post above the game was still a bit of a chess lesson for our team, but we at least had fun near the end with Bd4+. I swear if it wasn't for Stewart pointing out the threat on the commentary, Jack would've moved the king.
The third game of the day featured 2 friend's of the lady who's in charge of the organisation of the event, Luisa. I don't have their full names down on my match list, but it was Kien against Adheesha. This was my favourite game of the day. The chess quality wasn't particularly high or exciting, and it wasn't any more entertaining then the other games of the day. But, after 11 games of playing and move relaying, my team finally got their first win :D Well worth the wait, although I think some of the guys who were moving the pieces were disappointed that I didn't start singing a certain Queen song, as promised.
The 4th game of the day featured Peter Nickals and Alexandre Paiva. I got the chance to commentate on this game alongside Michael White, and we certainly got a good game to comment on. Peter is an experienced chess player, whilst Alexandre was, and I don't think I'm being too unfair here, nowhere near as strong. Early on Peter developed all of his pieces as per most opening books, whilst Alexandre's queen went rambo-esque into the fore. It didn't quite work out as planned, and Peter soon got a really strong attack. Just as Alexandre's king was being pushed down the board, we thought we were going to see f2-f4 mate, unusual and crowd pleasing. Instead the king got pushed back into the corner and eventually ended in mate about a dozen moves later. One funny anecdote before I move on from this game. Towards the end we asked the crowd to put their hands up as soon as they could see a forced mate. Only one person did, and after I asked the lady what the variation was, her reply came "move the bit from there to there" Well, kudos for enthusiasm, slightly less kudos for accuracy.
Game 5 featured Robert Chan and Lucy Broomfield, both experienced chess players. Unfortunately it's a little difficult, although quite understandable, when one or both players want to think for a while in a fairly complex position. The games are scheduled for 1hr sessions, and in this game with both players taking their time to think through each move, we were faced with the prospect of time running out in the early middlegame, and 2 dissatisfied players only getting half a game. Fortunately after a bit of encouragement, it soon became something akin to a blitz match, with moves flying out, and the game ended in a draw.
The last game of the day featured Anthony Eskinazi against Prashant Patil, and was the most fun of the day for me personally. Anthony, along with the guys moving the pieces, was more than happy to join in the insults and banter between moves, and it became quite enjoyable for all involved. Of course Anthony had good reason to be throwing insults- he played a fine game, and scored a crushing win.
The highlight for tommorow is the biggest game of the week - Simon Williams against Alexander Cherniaev, GM v GM, at about 1pm. Looking forward to that one.
I should mention as a final note on today's blog, how sociable everyone who's played here has been. Certainly putting a needle in the eye of the typical chess player stereotype of being quiet and anti-social, I've had the pleasure of going out for meals on the past 2 evenings with people who I only met whilst they were playing their games. And they've been jolly enjoyable evenings to boot.
Last edited by benedgell on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.