ECF Office Staff on Furlough

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Office Staff on Furlough

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:33 pm
I think the ECF probably needs a fundamental rethink about what it offers, and make that offering cheaper.
It's long been the case that the two major items of ECF expenditure were the International teams and the staffed office. Expenditure on both should be well down at the moment, although the international expenditure may only be deferred.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun May 03, 2020 1:46 pm

It's worth remembering that a lot of club and league chess runs down after Easter anyway. We don't know what the state of play is going to be in September so it's impossible for the ECF or anybody else to make a plan. If chess activity is still limited it's possible that a lot of casual players won't renew so the money saved during the lockdown may have to be directed towards the deficit from a lean 2020-21 season.

I stand by my point that any suggestions the ECF owes members a refund for a situation that they could not have foreseen or avoided is so laughable it's almost offensive, even if the sums involved weren't minuscule.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Sun May 03, 2020 5:27 pm

I certainly don't believe that the ECF year should start in any other month other than September, because that is obviously when most leagues start.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm

Will leagues continue to start in September? I don't see why they need to follow the academic year as this means some juniors can't play at the crucial season end due to exams

In Manchester we get matches postponed each season due to the weather and I know some players would prefer to do the longer away trips on lighter nights and in better weather Despite now having an orbital motorway it takes longer to get anywhere than it did when I started playing around Manchester
Any postings on here represent my personal views

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon May 04, 2020 8:10 am

There will always be winners and losers in terms of events clashing with exams and also other hobbies. Extending the season would see the juniors at my club prioritise cricket over chess (this already happens to some extent with winter/spring net practice). I am also aware that whilst some people do play through the summer, for others notably with outdoor interests prefer to wait for the darker evenings. The flipside of that being the increasing numbers disliking driving in dark wintry conditions. I suspect in a small local county league with relatively easy travel to fixtures, these sort of changes might be too radical to maintain the critical mass of players, but elsewhere who knows?

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon May 04, 2020 12:55 pm

I hope the ECF will sort out a meeting on Zoom, or maybe get some of the Members Reps in one of the ECF meeting to maybe emails the members ?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Mon May 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm
Despite now having an orbital motorway it takes longer to get anywhere than it did when I started playing around Manchester
You need to get a bike, Mick! :wink:

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon May 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:56 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm
Despite now having an orbital motorway it takes longer to get anywhere than it did when I started playing around Manchester
You need to get a bike, Mick! :wink:
try cycling to Holmes chapel from urmston lol!!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon May 18, 2020 12:38 am

I'd rather cycle between Urmston and Holmes Chapel than drive the length of the A585 that normally do when I play matches away at Preston and Morecambe.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am

With the current restrictions likely to run until Spring / Easter
.....is the ECF Office shut with its staff on Furlough?
Last edited by Paul Robert Jackson on Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Robert Jackson

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am

At present the office staff are working part time with coverage on Wednesday and Thursday and the mornings of Monday, Tuesday and Friday.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am
At present the office staff are working part time with coverage on Wednesday and Thursday and the mornings of Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
Are they home working or in the office?
Paul Robert Jackson

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am

Paul why does that matter. Since March the advice has been for office staff and employers has been work from home if you can.

So that is easy and when it comes to renewal it may take a minute or two for a phone call as per last 10? years to pay.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am
Paul why does that matter. Since March the advice has been for office staff and employers has been work from home if you can.
So that is easy and when it comes to renewal it may take a minute or two for a phone call as per last 10? years to pay.
Just curious.
Do you know the answer?
Paul Robert Jackson

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:30 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 am
Just curious.
Do you know the answer?
I know the answer, but I don't want to publish it on here.

If you feel that you need to know, please contact Mike Truran.