BingoLotto

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Buswell

Re: BingoLotto

Post by Paul Buswell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:29 pm

benedgell wrote:As promised- the nominated project is the Hastings Young Masters scheduled to take place in July 2010 at the university which houses the National Chess Library.
Mr Edgell

Can you tell me anything about this event at all? It's news to me and as Chairman of the Hastings & St. Leonards Chess Club I think our members might be quite interested.

Paul Buswell

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:The ECF is not a member, the BCF Youth Chess Trust is. What you are saying is the BCF Youth Chess Trust should promote a gambling organisation. Would it be OK for them to get a few quid out of Rothmans and Stella Artois too?
You do have a point. However, I don't see why it is a gamble, because it's free to vote. If I had to pay, I wouldn't have bothered to vote.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Can you tell me anything about this event at all?
Short answer, no. I was aware that this was the event that was being put forward by the ecf for the voting, and I'm publicising the voting for it as much as possible, but the event wasn't my idea, and as such I have no idea of the details.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

To be fair, I don't think Ben can be reasonably expected to know about the Hastings Young Masters. I don't actually believe that there will be such an event, it is simply on a wishlist if BingoLotto money were to be forthcoming.

Peter Turner

Post by Peter Turner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:04 pm

Good evening from Peter Turner

I am posting in my capacity as Chairman to the Trustees of the BCF YCT.
I am consulting with others concerning the Bingo Lotto and the BCF YCT. The BCF YCT is a member of the NCVO in order to receive regular advice about running a Trust. It may well be that as we are a member entitles us to the possibility of 'winning' a monetary award in a 'Prize Draw'. I will make further comments when I am sure of the background to this issue.

Having logged on I'll briefly make other comments:
The BCF YCT - I am not aware of a trustee ever asking for, or receiving, a payment for legitimate expenses. In recent years we have distributed over £100,000 to support English junior chess players.
Guest members on the forum - I spend quite a bit of time 'browsing' the forum which shows up as a guest. I only logon when I wish to contribute.
The Forum - Please leave as a 'members named' forum. I do hope that soon it will be welcomed back as the official ECF Forum. Recent posting on very important issues relating to the forthcoming AGM have been most interesting and informative. I remember (not fondly) as Director of Junior Chess & Education attending Board & Counil meetings, having read the meeting papers on the train, and arriving with not a huge amount of background and information on which to base my vote. At least with the Forum it is possible to take on board views of a wide range of individuals.
The Government Grant - I do remember this with fondness. In my early days as Junior Director I was invited to go along to the Department of Culture, Media & Sports to give a presentation on my vision for junior chess. I think among others, Gery & David Anderton were also in attendance. I think we were making representations for continuation of the grant. The Certificate of Excellence was the corner stone of what I had to say and giving out loads of 'goodies' used in the CofE seemed to go down well and I received a round of applause on conclusion of my delivery. I believe it was largely as a result of the 'Junior Vision' that the grant was increased by £15,000 spread over 3 years ( may have the precise figues wrong but sure someone will correct!!) I only mention this because I think the grant has not been increased since that time and, taking inflation intop account, the ECF would need to create more income solely to cover those inflationary effects.

ChessRegards

Peter Turner

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:46 pm

You might be interested, I happened to pop into Tescos in Street during my lunch hour. It is a medium to small sized store and I was interested to see that BingoLotto was prominently displayed at all the checkouts. Whilst there I happened to bump into the Deputy Manager and asked her how sales were going. Last week they sold 5 gamecards.
I wonder who'll have the most relaunches, BingoLotto or Chess for Schools :wink:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 am

Hastings Young Masters.
This is a serious possibility that is postulated to take place in July 2010. There used to be a similar event, the Smith & Williamson Young Masters.
The impetus for this event came originally from Hastings University who wish to use their expertise to promote the National Chess Library, chess events at the university and the Hastings International Chess Congress. A free venue gives the project a head start.
It will be supported by the John Robinson Trust. It is quite likely to take place.
Asking people to vote for a chess event is not directly encouraging people to buy lottery tickets. I would not be willing to be associated with that nor, in my opinion, should the ECF. It is such a very poor gamble. I only believe in gambling where the return is more than 100%.
The main purpose of getting people to vote is not in the hope of getting £1000 which, after all, is a small sum. It is to show the people who dish out lottery money that we are serious people who can work towards a concerted goal. The prediction is that chess will benefit from Bingolotto at least £10,000 a year. The particular nomination must be made for an NCVO and must be for a new initiative. I believe the only chess NCVO is the BCFYCT.
Time was of the essence and so I selected the Hastings Young Masters which David Anderton has been proposing for some time. It is first past the post, so fragmenting the vote will serve no useful purpose.
Do please vote. As shown with Leonard Barden's Evening Standard column earlier on, it is possible to make a difference with a concerted effort.
Stewart Reuben

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:10 am

Stewart,
When in July 2009 would the Hastings Young Masters take place? This is extremely important to me because I am in the process of booking facilities for the NCJS Young Masters which is due to take place 15th-18th July. A couple of days after this comes the Glorney Cup.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 pm

The ECF website provides an update:
The ECF has been informed by the CCPR that BingoLotto Series 2 has been suspended owing to poor ticket sales. For a full report click here
There's nowhere to actually click when it says "click here", but that aside, I don't think there'll be a Series 3.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:There's nowhere to actually click when it says "click here", but that aside, I don't think there'll be a Series 3.
Yes, gone pop already then as before - never really was something that would work though was it :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

The "click here" works for me. It links to a supplementary report by David Sedgwick as the ECF's CCPR representative which states the following
In my original Report to Council, I said that I would be extremely disappointed if the ECF did not receive at least £10,000 from BingoLotto during calendar 2010. Unfortunately my disappointment has already come to pass.

On 5th October the CCPR made the following announcement:

“CCPR has committed considerable time and resource to the BingoLotto project and we are extremely disappointed that sales have not matched forecasts. Due to these poor sales, BingoLotto gamecards will no longer be available to purchase and the TV game has been suspended.

Sunday 4th October’s episode represents the last show scheduled to be broadcast.

Other options for the future of BingoLotto are currently being explored by IGS UK Ltd and CCPR will continue to work with IGS and its partners during this process.

The funds generated for sport and recreation over the last four weeks of sales will be distributed as soon as the accounts are completed.”

I should perhaps explain that Tesco’s stated target for sales of gamecards had always struck me as wildly optimistic. My forecast was based on sales being about 7% of that target. In the event the actual sales were considerably lower still – perhaps 2% of Tesco’s target.

The ECF might still have received about £2,000 to £3,000 if BingoLotto had been allowed to continue for a year. As it is, we shall receive a purely nominal amount - probably no more than £200.