Development News (ECF website)

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Brian Towers

Re: Development News (ECF website)

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:49 pm
For obvious historical reasons, I'm really against threatening to sue people involved in chess
99% of them don't have any money, so it isn't worth it?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 am
It adds credibility to a theory that the delay in appointing a Development Officer was down to internal feuding between ECF Directors as to who was the favoured candidate.
Count me as one of those who had assumed underneath the headline argument, this was ultimately a symptom of a wider conflict between two camps within the ECF.

It’s not obvious why Tim Wall becoming a “women’s recruitment officer” should per se prevent Carl working in that area - or why this would be a terminal problem anyway - but of course there must have been a lot bubbling away behind the scenes that hasn’t been made public.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm

JustinHorton wrote:

You did understand, on posting, that to accuse someone of harrassment and libel is a serious matter, and potentially a libel in itself? And you did understand that there are implications if you repeat somebody else's libels?
I understand that entirely. Carl Portman has not named anybody publicly and in repeating his statements I said that he `considers them to be harassment`. They may or may not be - I haven't seen them myself.

If you are unhappy with anything I have said please flag it to Carl Hibbard and I will accept his decision (and if Carl Hibbard feels I have overstepped the mark I will apologise).

Hopefully you won't dispute that you have exchanged words with Carl Portman on this forum and that the offensive began as soon as Carl Portman published his `credo`. My wider point is still valid; that incident such as this which are so needlessly damaging to English chess are just `sport` as far as you are concerned.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm
JustinHorton wrote:

You did understand, on posting, that to accuse someone of harrassment and libel is a serious matter, and potentially a libel in itself? And you did understand that there are implications if you repeat somebody else's libels?
I understand that entirely. Carl Portman has not named anybody publicly and in repeating his statements I said that he `considers them to be harassment`. They may or may not be - I haven't seen them myself.

If you are unhappy with anything I have said please flag it to Carl Hibbard
I'm going to flag it to you, Andrew. You've publicly associated me with an accusation of harrasment despite also admitting that you haven't even seen the messages concened, and I expect you to withdraw it and accept that you have literally no evidence that I've done anything of the sort.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:24 pm
John Swain wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 am
Carl's resignation letter ....
He might as well have handed that to the interview panel rather than his “credo”.
I'm going to award that a well-deserved 'LOL'

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:01 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:24 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 pm
JustinHorton wrote:

You did understand, on posting, that... SNIP
I understand that entirely... SNIP

If you are unhappy with anything I have said please flag it... SNIP
I'm going to flag it to you, Andrew... SNIP
Andrew shoots from the lip, Justin from the hip. (Both are crackshots.)

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 am
It adds credibility to a theory that the delay in appointing a Development Officer was down to internal feuding between ECF Directors as to who was the favoured candidate.
Count me as one of those who had assumed underneath the headline argument, this was ultimately a symptom of a wider conflict between two camps within the ECF.

It’s not obvious why Tim Wall becoming a “women’s recruitment officer” should per se prevent Carl working in that area - or why this would be a terminal problem anyway - but of course there must have been a lot bubbling away behind the scenes that hasn’t been made public.
Hm. I'm also doubting how terminal of a problem it would be. Tim has so far asked me for a list of all the female chess players, and has sent me a circular email encouraging me to hold club meetings at times that are accessible to women - leaving it to the imagination what those times might be.

I don't think I buy this scenario where Carl reads Tim's email and thinks "Damn, he's pinched my only idea, now I have nothing to contribute".
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.