British Chess Championship venues

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

British Chess Championship venues

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Copying into a new thread, something I wrote on 6 September 2018 about past British Chess Championship venues, with an update below based on the news that the Championships are returning to Torquay in 2020:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:If the details here on this Wikipedia page are accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_C ... ampionship

Then it has been held in Brighton five times.

That page says there was no contest in 1927 - was a related event held in London that year?

Hastings five times (but only a Women's Champion in 1919).

The places it has been held three times or more:

Aberystwyth (3)
Blackpool (4)
Bournemouth (3) - 1936 was only men
Brighton (5)
Chester (4)
Eastbourne (3)
Edinburgh (4)
Hastings (5) - 1919 was only women
London (5) - includes Richmond in 1912
Nottingham (4) - 1936 was only women
Plymouth (3)
Scarborough (5) - 1930 was only women
Southport (3)
Swansea (4)
Torquay (5) - six times if you include the forthcoming 2019 event

I am sure someone did these stats before at some point... (looking at Wales, Scotland and the distribution by counties and/or regions).

It would be interesting to know where in London it was held in 1907 (School of Art, Crystal Palace, Sydenham), 1912 (Castle Assembly Rooms, Richmond), 1922 (Central Hall, Westminster), 1932 (Whiteleys, Bayswater) and 1948 (Bishopsgate Institute, City of London).

[With thanks to John Saunders and his Britbase for the venue details.]
As Adrian Elwin noted in the ECF newsletter for September 2019 (quoted at the link above), being at the same venue two years running "is not without precedent – Eastbourne was the venue for 1990 and 1991." But it is notable that Torquay is now comfortably the venue that will (after 2020) be the one visited the most, the 2020 visit being the seventh time it will have been held there (followed by Scarborough, Hastings and Brighton with five each).

In passing, Carl Portman said in his column in the September 2019 CHESS that he was a big fan of the Riviera Centre and said: "I do hope that the Championships return there again in my lifetime". Well, it looks like he got his wish! :D

Kevin Thurlow

Re: British Chess Championship venues

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:58 pm

"In passing, Carl Portman said in his column in the September 2019 CHESS that he was a big fan of the Riviera Centre and said: "I do hope that the Championships return there again in my lifetime". Well, it looks like he got his wish! "

Well, let's hope so! He and I have a 75-frame snooker match in progress, which he leads 9-7, so we need rather longer than next year...

Hull was a very good venue (apart from the heat). How about the Channel Islands?