Membership

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Deswarte

Membership

Post by Ian Deswarte » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm

I have just renewed my Gold membership. Last year it was £34. This year it is £39. an increase of 15%. I don't know what activities you are involving yourself in other than maintaining a grading database, but I would suggest you need to cut down.

Andrew Zigmond

Re: Membership

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:54 pm

Ian Deswarte wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:37 pm
I have just renewed my Gold membership. Last year it was £34. This year it is £39. an increase of 15%. I don't know what activities you are involving yourself in other than maintaining a grading database, but I would suggest you need to cut down.
Presumably you are aware that this is the English Chess Forum, not the English Chess Federation forum.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Ian - Paul Shepherd is the Surrey Rep to the ECF. They do do more than just grading, but I think you will find him sympathetic to your general point.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 am

Dear Ian,
The ECF does much more than jut provide a Grading database. I note that you are moderately active about your FIDE Rating. The ECF is essential for mainting h link between the ECF and FIDE.
Perhaps you should be mre internationally active? Why not play international Senior chess?

The matter of funding the ECF and the purposes of doing so were quite extensively discussed at the last ECF AGM. Council affirmed that it believed it was better to extend activity rather than withdraw into a shell. Personally I don't believe in minimising expenditure. That way would lead to a withering away of chess. I believe in offering value for money. That may not come back having an immediate personal impact. Your fee, and everybody else's, partly goes to developing chess.

Jacques Parry

Post by Jacques Parry » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:37 am
Perhaps you should be mre internationally active? Why not play international Senior chess?
Some people have qualms about unnecessary air travel these days.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:01 am

Jacques Parry wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 am
Some people have qualms about unnecessary air travel these days.
People who consider sporting competitions against foreigners to be "unnecessary" probably shouldn't take part in them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.