British Championship Congress 2020

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Nick Grey

Re: British Championship Congress 2020

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Having announced you cannot change.
Yes it is a problem when a club player beats 3 qualified players in a week in March so thinks why no me?
Seems to be about money - so unless sponsorship and conditions improve that may help.
It is not as if the hotels, travel industry. railways and schools are stable atm especially not bailing out the local airports.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:47 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:21 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:56 pm
Although how would a venue's limited capacity be catered for - first come first served?
The only venue in recent years where space was a consideration was Aberystwyth.
Well yes, but if the event were entirely open the situation would be a little different.
Agreed but this is just supply and demand. If you are below ECF 200 or whatever arbitrary grade you choose then those players can enter for £1000. Players would still enter but if the numbers were still too large and the ECF were really keen to reduce the numbers to manageable proportions for the venue then increase the entry fees accordingly. Perhaps the ECF are missing an income opportunity here. They could rake in a lot of money for this tournament and then perhaps reduce membership fees as well for the following year. A win-win.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:47 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:31 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:21 pm

The only venue in recent years where space was a consideration was Aberystwyth.
Well yes, but if the event were entirely open the situation would be a little different.
Agreed but this is just supply and demand. If you are below ECF 200 or whatever arbitrary grade you choose then those players can enter for £1000. Players would still enter but if the numbers were still too large and the ECF were really keen to reduce the numbers to manageable proportions for the venue then increase the entry fees accordingly.
Yes, but as far as I can see I'm still not being told how the ECF deals at the time with the situation of demand exceeding supply.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:28 pm

As I understood it, one of the key aims of the "Holowczak qualification reforms" was to revitalise the Major Open as a tournament in its own right, because it was the natural home for players who enjoyed playing at the Congress (but now found it tougher to get into the British proper), as well as being a key (and for many) only viable qualification route for those players. On the limited evidence so far, that has been pretty successful. Too much backsliding on qualification risks undermining this. And the existence of a decent Major Open is quite a good thing as for many it is the only tournament that they would like to enter, and there would be a big hole if it was felt it should be discontinued.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm

i think there is plenty of Choices on offer. Some may want to play seniors, some grading limited, some Open.

For many it is how much holiday and how much chess out of annual leave.

We may go there on holiday as opposed to the lake district but out of season - money is important.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:35 pm

Warwickshire Open, route F

Stracimir Kostov (2348 TPR after four games)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:18 pm

The Championship, at least as far as July is concerned, has been cancelled.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com