Thread withdrawn

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Reyes

Re: Membership fees resolution (from NCCU)

Post by John Reyes » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 pm
Whatever the outcome of the NCCU proposals it does boil down to the same old thing. Yes ECF members should be getting more for their money and the ECF should do more to increase the player base. But where is the strategy and the team of volunteers who are going to deliver it?
You could argue about The NCCU and some of it’s leaders

I would happy to help the Nccu but your President don’t like people like me to help the organisation and that
Is a big problem.
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:47 am
The ECF two major areas of expenditure are and always have been its staffed office and the International budget and its income has been a tax on the chess players whether levied at an organisation level or per head.
This was indeed reinforced by the meeting.

David Eustace did not agree with my maths on percentage spend on women's chess. I wanted to express it as a very low percentage of total income, his view was it is a much higher percentage of discretionary spend. I think you see here a main point of difference between someone like me who is currently a dissident and those in Council who support the board's strategy. My view is that if women's chess is a key strategic objective, and a reason to increase membership fees, the board ought to be spending more than 0.5% of its membership income on it. The boards position is that they are, but I am still unconvinced.

Tim Herring had prepared an interesting breakdown of spending, as an alternative view of the budget. I think the intent was to help reject the motion to limit international spending. They argued the Bronze members are not contributing to the International budget, since all of the net income from this group is spent on administration. But it did also open some discussion on why the administration spend is so high.

I have been arguing for years that I suspect a significant amount of the administration budget must be spent supporting the executive Directors. But David Thomas and David Eustace explicitly rejected that it was anything other than the base cost of having an ECF, particularly the cost of collecting membership income.

My emotional reaction is to say the membership system is failing. If the take up of self service is insufficient to free up the office to do something more useful that seems a big issue. I might be overreacting, but I have not yet been able to work out why.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am
If the take up of self service is insufficient to free up the office to do something more useful that seems a big issue.
The claim made twelve months ago, that the £1 discount for online renewal was removed because it simply wasn't needed any more, is looking even more disingenuous than it did at the time.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:59 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:57 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 pm
Whatever the outcome of the NCCU proposals it does boil down to the same old thing. Yes ECF members should be getting more for their money and the ECF should do more to increase the player base. But where is the strategy and the team of volunteers who are going to deliver it?
You could argue about The NCCU and some of it’s leaders

I would happy to help the Nccu but your President don’t like people like me to help the organisation and that
Is a big problem.
John - what do you mean about `my` President? I may be on the committee of a NCCU county but I have no real interest in the politics of the NCCU.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Re: Thread withdrawn

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:26 am

TimWall wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:02 am
Thread and post withdrawn
It seems there are a lot of these :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Re: Thread withdrawn

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:26 am
It seems there are a lot of these
There are usually sufficient quotations from other commentators that the gist of the thread survives. In any case, why delete supporting comment for a motion that was debated and minuted at a Council meeting?

The issue of what is the ECF's income, how does it raise it and what it spends it on isn't ever going to go away.