Page 1 of 1

Affiliation to ECF

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 am
by Tim Lunn
Sorry, I have a bit of a boring and simple question.

We're working on the wording of our counties constitution.
Just want to ask, are the counties affiliated to the ECF?
My county is Suffolk.
Just wanted to check that this wording is correct.

Re: Affiliation to ECF

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:51 am
by John Philpott
Tim

I would regard "affiliated" as an entirely appropriate term. Technically a County Association is a member of the ECF, but I think that the dictionary definition of "affiliated" embraces the concept of membership. If you look in the ECF Yearbook you will see that the entry for almost every County has the words "Affiliated to the ECF..." underneath its name.

You might wish to consider whether the Constitution should also make reference to the BCF, as this still exists primarily as a body to receive legacies, and has the Unions and Counties (but not the Leagues and Congresses) as members who are entitled to attend the AGM (which now tends to take place during the afternoon adjournment of the ECF AGM). The SCCU and Essex Chess Association constitutions, in which I take a close interest, refer to those organisations as being affiliated both to the BCF and the ECF.

Re: Affiliation to ECF

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 am
by Tim Lunn
Thank you!
We'll consider this in our proposals for the constitution.

Cheers,
Tim.