ECF/BCF trustees

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
William Metcalfe

Re: ECF/BCF trustees

Post by William Metcalfe » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:57 pm

As nothing was said by the chess centre limited directors at the last AGM i would not go holding my breath simon
I am speaking here for myself and not the NCCU which i am now president of

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 am

William Metcalfe wrote:What justification do the directors of chess centre limited have for ignoring the reguest from the ECF council
At the finance meeting in April, Alan Martin said that the directors (of CCL) had decided that transferring the money to the ECF PIF wasn't the best use of the money. I was furious and told the meeting that, in my opinion, he should have made that case to council at the time the decision was made. As it was he didn't do that, and council made it's decision to have the money transferred. I think that it's completely unacceptable for him and Gerry Walsh to bilaterally ignore that decsion of council.

I got the clear impression that he did not want to give up his bit of power. It's why I'm standing against him as a non-exec this October.

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:At the finance meeting in April, Alan Martin said that the directors (of CCL) had decided that transferring the money to the ECF PIF wasn't the best use of the money. I was furious and told the meeting that, in my opinion, he should have made that case to council at the time the decision was made. As it was he didn't do that, and council made it's decision to have the money transferred. I think that it's completely unacceptable for him and Gerry Walsh to bilaterally ignore that decsion of council.

I got the clear impression that he did not want to give up his bit of power. It's why I'm standing against him as a non-exec this October.
You shouldn't trust to hope over experience, you will have to table, before it is out of time, a motion for this Council Meeting asking the trustees of the PIF to replace Alan and Gerry as directors. In practise this means you will have to be prepared to become a director of the CCL yourself. You will probably also need to find someone else. Of course, if the Council's decision has been respected, you can always withdraw your motion.

Don't forget that Chris Majer should have something to say:
Are Directors of Chess Centre Ltd answerable to the Board of the ECF? Council appeared to think so, and accepted an assurance from the CEO that the Board would either satisfy Council's wishes of a year ago, or come back to Council with a reason why it hadn't.
This is from http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/bcf.htm .