ECF Manager of Congress Chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

ECF Manager of Congress Chess

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Has this post ever been occupied?

What is the remit of this role?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Carl Hibbard

Re: ECF Manager of Congress Chess

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 pm

John Upham wrote:What is the remit of this role?
Manager of Congress Chess:

Appointed by the Board and reports to the Director of Home Chess.
Organises all ECF tournaments, other than those which are the specific responsibility of another Director. Organises the ECF Grand Prix and ensures the safe custody and maintenance of all playing equipment, including Internet equipment, belonging to or used by the Federation. Makes recommendations regarding the appointment of persons as ECF Arbiter, ECF Senior Arbiter and International Arbiter. Is responsible for the ECF Chess Calendar.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm

John Upham wrote:Has this post ever been occupied?
You may recall Stewart Reuben running last year's British in Liverpool under that title and reporting to himself as International Director. This year's appointee was Manuel Weeks but he stepped down and Stewart took the job back. In the event David Welch and Alex Mcfarlane were the ones in charge at Torquay.
John Upham wrote:What is the remit of this role?
To manage the running of the British Championships as a minimum. I'm not sure what else Stewart thought should be covered. (but see Carl's post)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: To manage the running of the British Championships as a minimum. I'm not sure what else Stewart thought should be covered. (but see Carl's post)
If this is the case, then what is the remit of The Manager of British Chess Championships?

Who last occupied the role of Manager of British Chess Championships?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:04 pm

John Upham wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: To manage the running of the British Championships as a minimum. I'm not sure what else Stewart thought should be covered. (but see Carl's post)
If this is the case, then what is the remit of The Manager of British Chess Championships?

Who last occupied the role of Manager of British Chess Championships?
Actually I now see I got this wrong - Stewart hived off the Championships bit for himself and left all the other stuff behind. Perhaps there's never been a specific manager other than the director of home chess by default - The 2009 year book has this as an empty post.

Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:03 pm

An organogram of all these posts would help to show where they are in the hierarchy

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:04 pm

The Board decided in 2008 to split the post into Manager of the British Chess Championships and Manager of Congress Chess. The latter post has been advertised, but has yet to attract a volunteer.

Laurie Roberts wrote
An organogram of all these posts would help to show where they are in the hierarchy
I am not sure how to present an organogram in a Forum post, but if you would like a summary of the particular Director to whom a given Manager/officer currently reports (or in a number of cases would report if the post were filled) I can offer the following:

Chief Executive - Manager of Women's Chess, Strategic Planning Officer and Manager of ICT
Director of Home Chess - Manager of Grading and Rating, Manager of Arbiters, Manager of Chess in Prisons and Manager of Congress Chess (plus the controllers of the various Home Chess events such as the County Championship, National Club and County & District Correspondence Chess Championships).
Director of Junior Chess & Education - Manager of Coaching and Manager of Chess for Schools
International Director - Manager of the British Chess Championships
Director of Marketing - Publicity Officer