Resignation Rumours

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
RichardPalliser

Re: Resignation Rumours

Post by RichardPalliser » Sat May 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Charles - How much do you think all your new players in Bradford would be prepared to pay annually for ECF membership? Indeed, it would be interesting to know what they expect from the ECF (just a grade or a lot more) as they're newish to the game, whereas I generally find that players who have been playing for a number of years have quite definite views on what they expect (if anything!) from the ECF.
As for the YCA meeting, no doubt it will be long and dull, but I thought you wanted to make sure the committee were ready for all your predicted expansion?

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 17, 2008 3:28 pm

RichardPalliser wrote:Charles - How much do you think all your new players in Bradford would be prepared to pay annually for ECF membership? Indeed, it would be interesting to know what they expect from the ECF (just a grade or a lot more) as they're newish to the game, whereas I generally find that players who have been playing for a number of years have quite definite views on what they expect (if anything!) from the ECF.
As for the YCA meeting, no doubt it will be long and dull, but I thought you wanted to make sure the committee were ready for all your predicted expansion?
Hi Richard

We try and spread the word as far as ECF membership is concerned. We find most juniors like the grade, want a structure from bottom to Team England, an they want to see directors and officials being interested in their growth. All for these are being done.

As for numbers, piece of string moment, while the adult leagues locally are sparce of many members, which makes the whole thing a lot harder. Equally, I did expect the county to come and explain how the MO works, that would have helped massively. We do try and get members up and running as soon as possible, a year should be the maximum.

The YCA knows what I'm upto and what I'm planning. I have done a committee presentation with Sheffield/Rotherham, Bradford and Leeds. Called the committees of Harrogate, Hull, Kirklees. In Calderdale and York, I am currently making new clubs in both leagues, Calderdale may end up with a new club with upto 3 teams. The YCA would ask if they needed me there, with the amount of work the Chess for School project limits the commitment I can give them. I just hope they have got the message (I believe they have) and they have done a great deal to start the process.

A good example was given the Sheffield League; Sheffield League covers the LEA's of Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley. All three LEA's are aiming the set up at least one chess club it every school. This means that when the project hits there will be around 11,600 juniors developing at once in that league area alone (Sheffield 250 schools, Rotherham 150 schools, Barnsley 180 schools, equalling 580 schools all making at least 20 juniors) all with a parent in tow. All the schools are wanting to see a school league, flow through to the adult league, will want to know the benefits of ECF membership and will need to know how the chess world works. Surrey and Merseyside like so many county league, has around 24,000 juniors coming through after this hits because like so many other counties there is a lot of LEA's they cover.

Lets just see what they do, to be honest, I didn't know the date of the YCA AGM. I would happily go if they needed clarification on the points discussed.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson » Sat May 17, 2008 5:18 pm

RichardPalliser wrote:Charles - How much do you think all your new players in Bradford would be prepared to pay annually for ECF membership?
So Charles, seeing you side stepped this question I will ask a slightly different one.

How much are you prepared to pay?

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Steve Henderson wrote:
RichardPalliser wrote:Charles - How much do you think all your new players in Bradford would be prepared to pay annually for ECF membership?
So Charles, seeing you side stepped this question I will ask a slightly different one.

Thats easy, as long as its value for money, as much as it is. If its £2.00 they will not need much selling, but there is not a lot of value in that. If its £50.00 it would need to be a very good return on investment. BUT I believe the question wants me to generalise on behalf of a lot of people who all have differring opinions. I think the answer would not be correct therefore is totally unanswerable. So what would I (thats as in me personnaly) suggest to the board is simply this: get a unified approach to Game Gee/Membership that is agreed across the whole of England, put together all the best ECF products together and sell them to the membership and non membership as part of that package. Check the figures and see where this ends up, but would hope that the end figures where around £10.00 for juniors and £20.00 for adults. AND make whatever the Game Fee/Membership situation is as simple as possible.

With the addition of 500,000 juniors coming through in the next twelve months, we do need to lead by example, or they will not join. We miss the chance to grow.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sat May 17, 2008 11:46 pm

Steve Henderson wrote:

I would pay £100.00 per year if I thought it was worth it, I pay £46.00 at the moment.

How much would you and do you pay?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun May 18, 2008 12:30 am

Charles W Wood wrote:With the addition of 500,000 juniors coming through in the next twelve months, we do need to lead by example
This statement merits a little closer inspection. It would be helpful to clarify the evidence base. So: 500,000 juniors coming through what? Coming from where? Coming prepared to do what? And at what level? Furthermore, is this 500,000 an annual expectation hereafter? Or the total forseeable cohort? Does the 500,000-strong cohort diminish over time. If so, what is the predicted annual attrition rate; and what the likely residue?

Answers to some of these questions may guide us on the example we need to set.

David Robertson
Atticus CC

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 am

My rather jaded observations on this subject would tend to suggest that there'll be a huge lump of attrition at age 11, as there always is.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sun May 18, 2008 12:46 am

'Lump' as in '499,500'?

David Robertson
Atticus CC

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 18, 2008 12:52 am

You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun May 18, 2008 12:56 am

David Robertson wrote:
Charles W Wood wrote:With the addition of 500,000 juniors coming through in the next twelve months, we do need to lead by example
This statement merits a little closer inspection. It would be helpful to clarify the evidence base. So: 500,000 juniors coming through what? Coming from where? Coming prepared to do what? And at what level? Furthermore, is this 500,000 an annual expectation hereafter? Or the total forseeable cohort? Does the 500,000-strong cohort diminish over time. If so, what is the predicted annual attrition rate; and what the likely residue?

Answers to some of these questions may guide us on the example we need to set.

David Robertson
Atticus CC
You have may questions all of which need good and clear answers. 1. 500,000 juniors will come from the schools taking part in the Chess for Schools project (25,000 schools each creating 20 players); 2. Schools. 3. Whatever you have ready for them (schools league, evening league, national and local events, etc). 4. Entry level (rabbits). 5. Annual expectation is set at 100,000 the year after diminishing at a rate for 10% for each year for the next 5 years. The questions after that all depend on the level of involvement of local/county/junior leagues. Likely residue is the fun question, your in the MCA which should have around 24,000 juniors coming through, what you do is up to you. Sorry to "Blather" on again but we need leagues to have all the three major pieces in place before they can talk with the (in your case) 36 agancies that will deliver chess in the schools for you to benefit from. I'm hoping that MCA area will be set up before the school year finishes this year with one of the sponsors being in Liverpool (have you not seen the Chess for Schools thread, the ECF did put a statement out in the Chess Moves mag over January and February asking for the Junior committee representative to get in touch with the office) who have yet to sign but may be giving £2m of service.

The ECF Expectation is set on higher than that of the old DfES. Lets see what happens. We do have a lot in the financial pipe line on the side of this project, which will have a huge effect on many leagues if done right, but is that just "Chirping" or "Blathering"? We'll see.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun May 18, 2008 1:00 am

FM Jack Rudd wrote:My rather jaded observations on this subject would tend to suggest that there'll be a huge lump of attrition at age 11, as there always is.
Wrong, 6 to 16 is the full age range with added extras at every other age outside the 500,000. Understand this first, its a huge project done well. Due to the ECF. The team work has been going on for 12 months now, and we are about to start.

This is the biggest moment in English Chess History.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 18, 2008 1:15 am

We'll see what happens when it happens. North Devon is certainly crying out for some junior chess. (Currently the youngest member of Barnstaple Chess Club is me, and I'm 29.)

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun May 18, 2008 1:18 am

FM Jack Rudd wrote:We'll see what happens when it happens. North Devon is certainly crying out for some junior chess. (Currently the youngest member of Barnstaple Chess Club is me, and I'm 29.)
Your neck of the woods will become one of the best areas for junior chess then, are you guys ready?
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 18, 2008 1:48 am

Charles W. Wood wrote:
FM Jack Rudd wrote:We'll see what happens when it happens. North Devon is certainly crying out for some junior chess. (Currently the youngest member of Barnstaple Chess Club is me, and I'm 29.)
Your neck of the woods will become one of the best areas for junior chess then, are you guys ready?
Don't know about ready. We'll do what we can.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 am

FM Jack Rudd wrote:
Charles W. Wood wrote:
Don't know about ready. We'll do what we can.
Just make sure you have the three and your off (read the chess for schools thread) but thank the librarians. Sorry inside joke. Your neck of the woods is being run by four agencies which include the national librarians association forum. 80% take up so far.
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion