ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Post Reply
User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 pm

As there is an ECF Board meeting on Saturday the 16th of January to coincide with the 4NCL weekend, is there any topic that Forum readers would like raised? Apart from the obvious one, of course - that's high on my list ;-)
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9326
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Making adjourned or adjudicated games ineligible for grading.

Scott Freeman
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:42 am

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Scott Freeman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 pm

Alex - I totally agree. Any game decided by adjudication in particular has, in my opinion, invokes "help" from an outside source (I think we all know adjournement does as well in a different way). All of us patzers know that we will lose our winning positions and win our losing positions ( :lol: ) so there is no way they should be graded. And maybe a change in the rules would get us away from the outdated and unnecessary functions as people have to then give them up if they want graded games. Until we have mandatory quickplay finishes, there will always be people arguing against them but aside of a small number, I honestly believe that everyone will simply adapt to them. I advocated an idea by Mike Gunn a few years ago (which was designed to tread a middle path between adjudication, adjournment and quick play) and was absolutely lambasted for it by several people after it was voted in, but despite the efforts of a few and a year's worth of people slinging mud at me, it was shown to work perfectly - and everything I said about the changes I was proved right on (I am relieved to say!).

A few years back in a league I had to play in, I won all 3 adjudication claims I made. One was a genuine one - I was winning and would have won. Another I was 2 pawns up in but every next move that I would have considered playing at the time would have lost for me; I won because of one really warped but guaranteed winning move that the adjudicator found that I would never have found in a million years! The final one, I had been thrust into a game at Wimbledon on board 1 for a team when another player hadn't turned up. Iwas graded around 80 and was playing a 152. When we adjudicated, I was losing but as a team we had played so well, my captain said to the 4 of us who had not yet finished that we should just put all our games in and see what happens. The opposing captain forgot to send their claims in and we won the match 4.5-3.5. Totally wrong really!

I use those cases to show that my view is not one developed out of sour grapes; adjudication has generally been kind to me. But I think the one and only time I would have supported adjudication as a valid was of deciding a result would have been after 85 minutes of the 1999 European Cup Final as on the balance of play and score at the time, Bayern Munich would have been European Champions!

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:24 pm

I haven't been following - what is the "obvious" one to which Adam refers?

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by benedgell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:16 pm

My pay rise ;) Or seriously, the ECF re-connecting with the Forum.

benedgell
Posts: 1261
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by benedgell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Should add that the ECF owes a big thank-you to the 4ncl for arranging the venue at Hinkley Island for the meeting.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22667
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 am

Adam Raoof wrote:As there is an ECF Board meeting on Saturday the 16th of January to coincide with the 4NCL weekend, is there any topic that Forum readers would like raised?
The Board might wish to consider whether the practice of treating junior players as ungraded is either desirable or sensible. In the longer term , it might consider whether it should have a strategic ambition of switching to a domestic Elo based system and the ground rules that such a system would have to satisfy.

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9326
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:As there is an ECF Board meeting on Saturday the 16th of January to coincide with the 4NCL weekend, is there any topic that Forum readers would like raised?
The Board might wish to consider whether the practice of treating junior players as ungraded is either desirable or sensible. In the longer term , it might consider whether it should have a strategic ambition of switching to a domestic Elo based system and the ground rules that such a system would have to satisfy.
And while on the subject of grading, releasing more information to the online grading database, i.e. game results.

Sean Hewitt

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: And while on the subject of grading, releasing more information to the online grading database, i.e. game results.
That would be very good. They could even make that a service available only to ECF members in order to promote membership.

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 am

That service is indeed planned!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 am

Adam Raoof wrote:That service is indeed planned!
However we do need to clarify this further as "my" plan on this one still seems to be the best!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 am

Of course, no decision has been made yet.

The Board will consider four options, including your preferred option, at the meeting at Hinckley Island and make a decision about what strategic direction we should take in order to make our grading and other services as attractive as possible, and in a way which enhances the Direct Membership Scheme for the benefit of all members.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

Ian Thompson
Posts: 4284
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:The Board might wish to consider whether the practice of treating junior players as ungraded is either desirable or sensible.
The Board could look at a real example when considering this - my January 2010 rapidplay grade. I scored 2.5/4 against juniors with an average grade of 214.5 in August 2009 and an average grade of 209 in January 2010, but the ECF grading system says my performance for these 4 games was 207. How do justify a system which says your performance is less than the average of your opponents' grades when you have scored more than 50% against them?

Peter Rhodes
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by Peter Rhodes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:How do justify a system which says your performance is less than the average of your opponents' grades when you have scored more than 50% against them?
Ian, there is no justification for this.

It's why I've advocated that when the ECF selects it's decision makers it does so on the basis of selecting only those from the highest pedigree in business and commerce (for each respective discipline).

I have lost count of the amount of people who have intimated to me the grading system is a joke.
Chess Amateur.

User avatar
JohnPaines
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Re: ECF Board meeting, Hinckley Island 16th January

Post by JohnPaines » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Peter Rhodes wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote: How do justify a system which says your performance is less than the average of your opponents' grades when you have scored more than 50% against them?
Ian, there is no justification for this.

It's why I've advocated that when the ECF selects it's decision makers it does so on the basis of selecting only those from the highest pedigree in business and commerce (for each respective discipline).
I can think of many businesses and commercial organisations (with whom I have direct dealings) whose approach to the issue would be to cut costs and maximise profits by delivering the most rudimentary grading system which the consumer would accept. Does that accord with your vision of how the ECF should be?

Post Reply