British Chess Championship 2024

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris
Posts: 10437
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:48 am

Tenders are now invited for the bookstall, coaching and/or commentary at the British Chess Championships 2024 in Hull website

Arbiters – Call of Interest for the BCC and the Glorney Cup
Any postings on here represent my personal views

TomVilliers
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:49 am

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by TomVilliers » Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm

Do we know when the final details will be released regarding commentary, qualifiers etc. for the British this year?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 21377
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm

TomVilliers wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm
Do we know when the final details will be released regarding commentary, qualifiers etc. for the British this year?
As regards qualifiers there's a list at https://www.britishchesschampionships.c ... 024-V3.pdf

The Grand Prix will close at the end of May, with results promised for June.
British Championship website wrote:The final list of qualifying players will be published in June 2024 with any amendments and additional qualifiers.

The interim British Grand Prix leaderboard can be found at the link here for information purposes only:
https://www.britishchesschampionships.c ... oard-2024/.
This will be replaced with the final British Grand Prix leaderboard which will take into account results in FIDE rated events played in the British Isles from 1st June 2023 to 31st May 2024. British Grand Prix Qualifications will be awarded based on places in the final leaderboard only.

Mick Norris
Posts: 10437
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Mick Norris » Fri May 31, 2024 4:18 pm

Entrants led by Mickey and Gawain
Any postings on here represent my personal views

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 4846
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:36 am

Eight 2400+ IMs, I see, which bodes well for the prospects of someone's getting a GM norm.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 7319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:58 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:36 am
Eight 2400+ IMs, I see, which bodes well for the prospects of someone's getting a GM norm.
Including four with 2 GM norms and others with 1.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4678
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:27 am

Having too many norm seekers though can ruin everyone's chances; they can end up playing each other and not playing the beatable GMs, either because they aren't any (you would not label Adams and Jones as being readily beatable) or because the GMs might be doing too badly to be paired with the norm seekers (eg Hebden at Cambridge, where incidentally the vast majority of English GM norm seekers played, to no avail).

Mick Norris
Posts: 10437
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:55 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:58 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:36 am
Eight 2400+ IMs, I see, which bodes well for the prospects of someone's getting a GM norm.
Including four with 2 GM norms and others with 1.
The 4 being Ghasi, Grieve, Merry & Royal, of whom only Ghasi has been above 2500?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 8893
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:25 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:27 am
Having too many norm seekers though can ruin everyone's chances; they can end up playing each other and not playing the beatable GMs, either because they aren't any (you would not label Adams and Jones as being readily beatable) or because the GMs might be doing too badly to be paired with the norm seekers (eg Hebden at Cambridge, where incidentally the vast majority of English GM norm seekers played, to no avail).
Indeed. You need more GMs, and/or to beat fellow IMs. There will be more GM entries. Who would you expect to enter based on previous tournaments?

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 7319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:46 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:55 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:58 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:36 am
Eight 2400+ IMs, I see, which bodes well for the prospects of someone's getting a GM norm.
Including four with 2 GM norms and others with 1.
The 4 being Ghasi, Grieve, Merry & Royal, of whom only Ghasi has been above 2500?
Oh, there's five then, you missed Andrew Ledger.

Mick Norris
Posts: 10437
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:48 am

Luke McShane has entered
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks
Posts: 8504
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:37 am

I see that Ethan Pang is there and hope he will be joined by Bodhana.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Burrows
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:50 pm

Good to see the former world no.174 back playing!

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 5289
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:39 pm

And who is that?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Burrows
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: British Chess Championship 2024

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:42 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:39 pm
And who is that?
GM Motwani

Post Reply