Chief Executive 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.

Chief Executive 2021

Mike Truran
62%
Malcolm Pein
30%
None of the above
7%

Total votes: 82

Chris Goodall

Re: Chief Executive 2021

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:47 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:05 am
Some years ago the Scottish Championships were held in Edinburgh and supported by the local council who appointed its press officer to gain publicity. A chat with this person during the event was a bit disheartening. Despite having the appropriate contacts, he was extremely disappointed with how little coverage the event was getting. The simul and picture of youngsters playing chess outside the City Chambers did make the local paper but not much else was covered.
To be fair to the journalists of Scotland, it does seem an odd strategy by Edinburgh council. The existence of Edinburgh is at least an open secret among Scots! If it were being held in Shetland or Gretna, I could see the eyeballs strategy working better.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:23 pm
I think we have to be realistic. There isn't going to be "massive" investment in chess any time soon. H
Even if there was it would take many years, committees, focus groups and other nonsense to make use it.

There would never be common consensus from Council other than to make it into a Trust Fund for the elusive "rainy day".

OK, a thought experiment. Let us say Jeff Bezos donates £10 million pounds to English chess (rather than the ECF).

What would be your prime candidates for spending?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 am
Graham Borrowdale wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:52 am
Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:29 am
It might be better to ditch the investments, which (due to the market) produce very little return, and invest the money in a property that could be a national chess centre.
An interesting idea. One issue with 'investing' in property is that it only provides a return when sold, unless rented out, so gains could only materialise when the ECF downsizes. At least an investment fund earns an annual income.
What would a national chess centre be used for? Would it be a drop-in for casual chess players to go for a game, a venue for events, an enormous bookshop, an office for the development officers?
How much does the ECF make from interest on its investments? I am fairly certain it could make far more by investing in a property and hiring it out, or running events. This has to be better, and it is why we now have a Mindsports Centre in Hammersmith and a chess centre in Ilkley!
The returns on investments (income plus capital growth, less tax) normally exceed that on property (income plus capital growth, less tax)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
What England currently has an almost complete dearth of is closed all play all tournaments for titled players. These seem to be common enough on the continent and is the reason many of our top players spend so much time abroad, to the point where they often choose to live there.
Right on cue ...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12098

Only close to England, of course.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:04 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:

What England currently has an almost complete dearth of is closed all play all tournaments for titled players. These seem to be common enough on the continent and is the reason many of our top players spend so much time abroad, to the point where they often choose to live there.
That used to be true but with three in August (4 if you count Northumbria GM & IM) and three more in October things seemed to have improved somewhat.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Not entirely for pedantry, I'm not sure top professional players is grammatically correct. Isn't it just Gawain?

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:12 pm

'Invest', all too often, is merely a euphemism for 'spend'. I trust Mike Truran to spend our money wisely - or not to spend at all, if appropriate.

Alan Kennedy alluded elsewhere to Mike's distinguished career outside chess. To me, this counts for something.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:12 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
The Eastern Europeans have a competitive advantage there, in that they can pull in the required foreign players from 6 neighbouring countries at short notice. We need to get Yorkshire, Cornwall and Great Yarmouth designated as foreign countries.

I'd also like to think that we Angles are above offering guaranteed norms against bored 2350-rated GMs in exchange for £££ like they do in the post-communist world, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:20 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:12 pm
'Invest', all too often, is merely a euphemism for 'spend'. I trust Mike Truran to spend our money wisely - or not to spend at all, if appropriate.
Which seems fair. That said Malcolm's manifesto doesn't include some of things we are talking about:
1) To build the reserves to an amount specified by the Finance Committee, likely £100,000.
2) To limit or avoid entirely any possible increase in membership fees.
3) For the benefit of clubs, leagues and congresses to support Covid-recovery through assistance with the areas highlighted by clubs in the recent survey (see ECF Website).
This can be done partly by the engagement of Development Officers, one to assist clubs, leagues and congresses in the NCCU & MCCU and one for the SCCU, EACU and WECU. To assist congresses, we should relaunch the Weekend Grand Prix.

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:22 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
I think we have to be realistic. There isn't going to be "massive" investment in chess any time soon. H
OK, a thought experiment. Let us say Jeff Bezos donates £10 million pounds to English chess (rather than the ECF).
Boards, and sets, and distribute to schools. Ensure there is a contact within any given primary school responsible for looking after the borrow sets. Local school leagues for schools involved inthe scheme. And, build from there.
G. Secretary, https://WarwickChessAlumni.blogspot.com/
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:12 am
I am really happy Chess Fest went ahead. I view it as a very positive thing. But in terms of media coverage, very little. Google it.
Yes it was very good, Warwick University alumni and current members came down in droves to support the event. However, when the most significant politician to show up was the Shadow chancellor for the duchy of lancaster.. we really are not attracting real traction for an event that took up the whole of Trafalgar Square..
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

Hok Yin Stephen Chiu

Post by Hok Yin Stephen Chiu » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:42 pm

To get back to topic, both Mike and Malcolm, are excellent and capable individuals.

But were we to ask the big questions, ie. ECF fees are somethin like 25% higher than 3 years ago, and in some categories, even greater. Can the average member notice the 25% increase in value for money?

I recall this increase was tied to the proprosed introduction of One Development Officer, which led to a completely seperate saga in itself, and now there's discussion of two Development Officers.

We ought to get back to basics, focus on chess; if we have money to spare, buy boards, and sets, (or even,give hard cash) and distribute to leagues. And, leagues are given freedom to come up schemes to drive local chess iniatives, and at the end of the year, reports can be made back to the ECF, to be reviewed..
Delegate - Leamington
FIDE Arbiter

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am
An experiment. Get out a set in your local pub - not in a side-room, but where the ordinary punters hang out. Play a game. Will this look like a totally normal activity? Or will you attract puzzled looks, especially if a clock is involved?
Years ago in Cambridge, I and another congress participant took a set and clock into a busy Saturday evening pub, we were drinking and banging out moves and got a large number of spectators surrounding the board Ooohing and aahhing at the thrills and spills. It's one of the few times I've felt "cool" playing chess.

Ok, Cambridge might not be a typical town.

This is chess culture:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
This is commonly exaggerated.

Looking at the latest batch of GM titles to be approved, 8 of the 28 norms came from RRs, and this was skewed by one well publicised case where all three norms were earned in this way. Also, Covid restrictions had made the traditional big Swisses much harder to put on.

Going back to the last pre-pandemic batch, 14 of the 94 norms came from RRs. Nine were scattered across Europe, the other five in the Americas. Swisses were by far the dominant group.

Who are these top players who have moved to Europe to play in RRs? I can think of one, if "top" is defined loosely.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:06 pm

John Upham wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:48 pm

What would be your prime candidates for spending?
Immediately announce the equalisation of international funding between men and women with the goal of winning some Olympiad medals for the women. Bask in the positive media.

Remake The Master Game
Buy some lights and cameras and get our own YouTube channel along the lines of St.Louis
Buy one of the 800 libraries that Britain has closed since 2011
Hire Mark Glickman to give us a mathematically perfect rating system
Support that "feminist" chess club in London if only for the Telegraph headlines
Buy a stake in the Citadines Hotel that gives us first dibs on the conference hall
Hold a Women's World Championship in, let's say, Harrogate (head coverings extremely optional)
Start a little enterprise acquiring the rights to the top chess books published in Eastern Europe and translating them to English (that'd be a good fit for Bezos)
Send a free copy of Stewart Reuben's organisers' handbook to every official in the yearbook
Subsidise travel to the 4NCL venues for teams more than 100 miles from Birmingham
Give Tim Wall £20,000 a year to move to Shanghai and run an English-language chess school with a focus on older teenagers deciding where to go to university.