Chess clubs by size

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Bloom
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Paul Bloom » Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 am

I would think CCF coulsdon must be one of the biggest we have 80 paid members and around 40 in our Junior club {crossover of around 10 of the strongest} we play Mondays 7.30 until midnight {we own the building} but atm until June 21st we are restricting to only 20 members playing at any one time with masks worn at the board

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4388
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 am

Paul Bloom wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 am
I would think CCF coulsdon must be one of the biggest we have 80 paid members and around 40 in our Junior club {crossover of around 10 of the strongest} we play Mondays 7.30 until midnight {we own the building} but atm until June 21st we are restricting to only 20 members playing at any one time with masks worn at the board
How are you able to have more than six playing?

Roger Lancaster
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 am
How are you able to have more than six playing?
It's a question which, one hopes, will become irrelevant with the regulation changes scheduled for 21 June but, meantime, the answer is "Discrete groups of six". I have to add that the answer works better in theory than in practice as, given for example two groups of six, it's more or less inevitable that some in the first group will want to exchange at least a few words with friends in the second group. [This answer relates to adults only, the regulations already having been relaxed for under-18's].

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4388
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon
Contact:

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon May 24, 2021 3:41 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am
It's a question which, one hopes, will become irrelevant with the regulation changes scheduled for 21 June but, meantime, the answer is "Discrete groups of six". I have to add that the answer works better in theory than in practice as, given for example two groups of six, it's more or less inevitable that some in the first group will want to exchange at least a few words with friends in the second group. [This answer relates to adults only, the regulations already having been relaxed for under-18's].
It seems that the groups will need to be discreet as well as discrete.

Paul Bloom
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Paul Bloom » Mon May 24, 2021 4:25 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 am
Paul Bloom wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 am
I would think CCF coulsdon must be one of the biggest we have 80 paid members and around 40 in our Junior club {crossover of around 10 of the strongest} we play Mondays 7.30 until midnight {we own the building} but atm until June 21st we are restricting to only 20 members playing at any one time with masks worn at the board
How are you able to have more than six playing?
we have everybody on separate tables and wearing masks all tables more than 2m apart even players on the same table are diagonal so 2m apart everyone has to wash hands and sanitize on entry to the club only 1 in a toilet at any time {lucky we have 3 separate loos} windows are open no shaking hands of course and this is why we can only have 20 as we are a large room but can only fit 10 tables to be 2 m apart from any other table

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1221
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm

Paul Bloom wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 am
I would think CCF coulsdon must be one of the biggest we have 80 paid members and around 40 in our Junior club {crossover of around 10 of the strongest} we play Mondays 7.30 until midnight {we own the building} but atm until June 21st we are restricting to only 20 members playing at any one time with masks worn at the board
How has the club been doing the last few weeks Paul?
Any new members any interesting games or positions?

Paul Bloom
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Paul Bloom » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm
Paul Bloom wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:52 am
I would think CCF coulsdon must be one of the biggest we have 80 paid members and around 40 in our Junior club {crossover of around 10 of the strongest} we play Mondays 7.30 until midnight {we own the building} but atm until June 21st we are restricting to only 20 members playing at any one time with masks worn at the board
How has the club been doing the last few weeks Paul?
Any new members any interesting games or positions?
HI Simon club is doing ok but we are not encouraging new members atm as we are restricted to a max of 20 players per evening as each game is on a separate table and all tables are at least 2m apart as are the 2 players on each table . given that we had about half our members wanting /willing to play with masks on around 40 out of 80 have come back which means players currently play every other week . we should get our league's and season finished by the 2nd Monday in July then we will hopefully be in a position to open up a bit more and start the CCF summer cup 4 sections and welcome more players Also as soon as Boris says we can open up we will be looking to run one day Fide rated rapid plays on selected Saturdays so again hopefully mid/late July so watch this space

Jacques Parry
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Re: Chess clubs by size

Post by Jacques Parry » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:50 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:11 am
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 am
How are you able to have more than six playing?
It's a question which, one hopes, will become irrelevant with the regulation changes scheduled for 21 June but, meantime, the answer is "Discrete groups of six". I have to add that the answer works better in theory than in practice as, given for example two groups of six, it's more or less inevitable that some in the first group will want to exchange at least a few words with friends in the second group. [This answer relates to adults only, the regulations already having been relaxed for under-18's].
I'm not even sure what "discrete groups" means in this context. Is it that the players in one group must stay at least x metres away from any player in another group (x being greater than 2 because they must stay 2m away from even those in their own group)? It's hard to see how 20 players in a room is not a gathering of more than six.

Post Reply