British Championship Congress 2021

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Gunn

Re: British Championship Congress 2021

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:44 am

Another consideration is the financial viability. Torquay is a popular venue but these days it costs us money (when I was on the ECF board I recall it cost about £10K). It was always the aim for the British to break even but I think this is more difficult now entry conditions for the main event are more stringent. Although I don't have the figures to hand (they should be in the annual accounts) we have moved more to the situation where a subsidy is required. Any tournament organiser will tell you that the financial success of an event depends crucially on attracting that last 10% of entries and this is going to be difficult coming out of the pandemic when many people will be cautious about attending.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:34 am
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:22 am
This will be the case with many OTB congresses, especially the large ones such as Blackpool & Scarborough for example.
Hence my speculation that it could be 2022 before we see an OTB congress in the UK.
On paper at least, the 4NCL series of Congresses seemed to take place with a limited period between announcement and execution. They would depend on hotels legally permitted residential conference style weekends and willing to host them.
I would like to think hotels will be looking to fill rooms & have people using their facilities
....I hope the OTB 4NCL Congresses will be start running again once it is safe to do so.
Always well organised & run professionally.
Paul Robert Jackson

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am

Some venues have a cancellation charge which far exceeds the cost of hire. At least in the past, Torquay and possibly Scarborough have had such clauses in their agreements.
The Scarborough venue (the Spa) was being managed by Sheffield but that agreement has ended. As a result many (all?) staff contracts expired. It is not clear what the situation will be going forward.

In addition, many of the hotels used by congresses will be looking in the first instance to (postponed) weddings for venue hire - much more profitable. Therefore venues may not be available. Further, even tournaments in non-hotl venues may find it more difficult (and expensive) as they will possibly be competing with other events which have been displaced by weddings.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm

The government has published their roadmap which suggests they are aiming for normality by 21st June although this is subject to review at every stage. Assuming this goes to plan (and that's a big IF) the British would be able to go ahead but I appreciate there are other considerations that may not make it viable.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:14 pm

If all goes well it may still be practicable in a stripped down form, here's hoping.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm

Is this back on the main Council agenda?

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:41 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:46 pm
Is this back on the main Council agenda?
I hope so, but i think that people will try to forced other issues for their own gain
Any postings on here represent my personal views only

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 am

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 am
many of the hotels used by congresses will be looking in the first instance to (postponed) weddings for venue hire - much more profitable. Therefore venues may not be available.
From the BBC today:
"Wedding venues booked up for two years."
Paul Robert Jackson

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:50 pm

Still many B and B places available and the venue is already booked as i understand as music festivals are going ahead and around 80% or more chess players will have had their vaccination's I see know reason why it should not go ahead , I would not be surprised if it were an all time record entry given the amount of chess playing looking forward to getting back to OTB chess

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:52 pm

...but could be very problematic for all otb 4ncl events

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:47 pm

4NCL sorted for 9th to 11thJuly at woodland Grove lemington spa

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:49 pm

I have booked some dates in July and August for Golders Green FIDE Rapid Chess - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/ for news - and avoided the British in Torquay, as it would be nice to think that might happen, even in a cut-down version. Any official news?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Tornelo - https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/chess-england
Simon Williams "The Ginger GM" - https://gingergm.com/ref/106.html
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:49 pm
I have booked some dates in July and August for Golders Green FIDE Rapid Chess - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/ for news - and avoided the British in Torquay, as it would be nice to think that might happen, even in a cut-down version. Any official news?
I think Torquay 2022 might still be in the air. But who knows if, like you say, there could be a scaled down version somewhere else this summer. Perhaps a small closed tournament where the elite could have a battle for the title?