Page 1 of 1
Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:42 am
by Joshua Gibbs
Hi does anyone else bet on chess?
I bet both online and in real life....
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 am
by MJMcCready
I will have a flutter on Magnus in the next world championship match.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:37 am
by MJMcCready
What odds would you have got on betting that half way into the candidates we are yet to see a Berlin Wall? 1,000,000-1?
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 am
by Michael Mkpadi
Ok I don't bet on chess but I was contacted by a betting firm who wanted a chess consultant to help them work out how to "arrange their product for optimal impact on routes to market". I don't know what made me a candidate for that role but I was running a chess tournament news feed at the time I suppose.
Would I bet on chess? No. Chess is fixed....lol seriously what with the Berlin defence, players playing safe and Agon hiding the moves I'd rather not.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:20 am
by MJMcCready
Which firm was that?
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:53 am
by Paolo Casaschi
No.
Betting is a very bad idea, on chess or anything else.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:40 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
looks like Reds will cover me...

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 pm
by John Moore
Hi Joshua - looks like the Reds failed to cover you. Small time betting is fine if it's under control but we have all heard about gambling addiction. My father spent a good deal of money and most of his time betting on horse racing and won some very significant amounts - but there was the downside and let me tell you that was no fun.
Joshua - could you also think about removing some, at least, of all of this stuff that you put under every post. You are accepted here without it all.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:25 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
lol... Hope Karjakin and Anand win now!
John - I just like to tell people who I am so they know my perspective on things.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:48 pm
by John Moore
Yes - but it's half a screen full every time! Too much. What you say in your posts will give people a fairly good idea of your perspective - I mean we now know you like a bet.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 pm
by Joey Stewart
Where are you finding places to give you odds on this - I thought bookies pretty much only did football and horse racing.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:24 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Betfair and the like, probably. There are loads of different things you can bet on on the betting sites.
Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?
Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 pm
by Joshua Gibbs
i use marathon bet... cant believe i lost lol