Page 1 of 13

Re: European Team Championship 13-22 November 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:36 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
David Sedgwick wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:It's not quite as new as they suggest, since when the break up of Yugoslavia took place in the early 1990s, the sponsorship funding intended to support the English team in the European Championships due to take place there was instead diverted to a knockout involving the potential team members and the reserves. Adams and Short were certainly participants.
That was an English event. This is a British one, with Jonathan Rowson participating.
It would be good to start a new thread about this, but just briefly noting here that the email I got about this (I am on one of the LCC mailing lists, presumably) said that Daniel Fernandez and Yang-Fan Zhou are GMs. The website's press releases correctly says they are IMs. The question I have is whether the two IMs can get GM norms in this kind of event? The full format hasn't been published yet, but I suspect not. It is probably more about the prize money anyway. :D

British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:47 am
by Roger de Coverly
A newly announced event taking place before and during the London Chess Classic.
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/lccko ... elease.htm

The eight players competing are
David Howell ENG 2693; Luke McShane ENG 2687; Nigel Short ENG 2686; Gawain Jones ENG 2615; Jonathan Rowson SCO 2569; Jonathan Hawkins ENG 2563; Daniel Fernandez ENG 2476; Yang-Fan Zhou ENG 2455

Re: European Team Championship 13-22 November 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:53 am
by David Sedgwick
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It would be good to start a new thread about this ...
I'm reporting my post with that suggestion.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:... that the email I got about this (I am on one of the LCC mailing lists, presumably) said that Daniel Fernandez and Yang-Fan Zhou are GMs. The website's press releases correctly says they are IMs.
Thank you for pointing out the error. I've passed that on.

However, my guess is that it has already been spotted, resulting in the correction of the Press Release on the website.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:The question I have is whether the two IMs can get GM norms in this kind of event? The full format hasn't been published yet, but I suspect not.
Your negative surmise is correct.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:It is probably more about the prize money anyway. :D
It's certainly the case that all eight accepted the invitation promptly.

For clarification, I shall be the Chief Arbiter.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:12 am
by MartinCarpenter
Applause very definitely due. Great sort of event to have.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:06 pm
by Nick Burrows
Great event for UK chess fans and proper prize money. I bet Nick Pert is upset if he was not asked. (Can't imagine him turning it down)

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:30 pm
by Alan Walton
Nick Burrows wrote:Great event for UK chess fans and proper prize money. I bet Nick Pert is upset if he was not asked. (Can't imagine him turning it down)
Perhaps he was, but looking at the list it seems a logical line-up; the top 4 (excluding Sadler) after Mickey, the best Scot (and multiple British Champion), the current British champion, and most probably the best 2 under 20s at the moment

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:57 pm
by David Sedgwick
Nick Burrows wrote:Great event for UK chess fans and proper prize money. I bet Nick Pert is upset if he was not asked. (Can't imagine him turning it down)
Alan Walton wrote:Perhaps he was, but looking at the list it seems a logical line-up; the top 4 (excluding Sadler) after Mickey, the best Scot (and multiple British Champion), the current British champion, and most probably the best 2 under 20s at the moment
That is an excellent summary, Alan.

I was consulted about the invitees. One or two hard choices had to be made.

Thank you to all for the positive comments about the event.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:09 pm
by Matthew Peat
Does the format change over the course of the event from quickplay to long play?

I note the quarter/semi finals each take place over a day whilst the 6 game final is scheduled over 6 days

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:47 pm
by David Shepherd
Am I missing something - which are the 2 that are under 20?

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:01 pm
by MartinCarpenter
Fernandez and Yang Fan? Or is the point that one (or both) of them have slipped over 20?

I've absolutely no idea, but they're certainly both young and very strong so well worth inviting.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:03 pm
by LawrenceCooper
David Shepherd wrote:Am I missing something - which are the 2 that are under 20?
I suspect that was a typo, Daniel is 20 (21 in March 2016) and Yang-Fan 21 (in Sept this year) so with their eligibility for JRT payouts almost at an end the invites are very timely.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:05 pm
by Alan Walton
Thanks it was a typo, should have said u21

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:47 am
by Nick Pert
Nick Burrows wrote:Great event for UK chess fans and proper prize money. I bet Nick Pert is upset if he was not asked. (Can't imagine him turning it down)
Thanks for thinking of me Nick! Of course it would have been great to have been asked as even a first round knockout would represent my biggest ever chess prize. Like Alan has commented all of the other players have very good cases to be in the event and I wish them all well. It's great that this event is happening and all those who made it possible should feel very proud of themselves for boosting English Chess. I will be rooting for Daniel Fernandez, having done a lot of training with him during his gap year.

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:37 am
by Kevin Thurlow
" It's great that this event is happening and all those who made it possible should feel very proud of themselves for boosting English Chess."

A very generous attitude! Not everyone would be that positive...

Re: British Knockout Championship

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:08 am
by Roger de Coverly
The latest news is that Nigel Short has withdrawn and been replaced by Nick Pert.
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/bkodr ... elease.htm

No announcements to confirm the playing format though.

We can deduce that the quarter finals and semi finals will have at least two games. Whilst that might seem obvious, Hastings one year experimented with a format that game Black more time in an otherwise regular game.