Page 1 of 4
English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:33 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
OK, here it is. The forum's poll for English Chess Forum player of the year, with nominations as chosen by you in
this thread.
This will be a poll conducted using
Approval Voting; you may vote for as many candidates as you like, and the candidate with the most votes wins.
This poll will be open until the end of June.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:43 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Hawkins leading surprises me a little.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:24 pm
by Paul Dargan
Really Carl? Maybe a bit mainstream for the conversation on the forum so far ... but effectively self-taught to GM and winning the British ... starting with what was it 6/6 in the first week, then coasting in with 5 draws, when he was probably better with Black when he agreed draws with Hebden, Howell and Pert? in the last round. His win v's Marin and GM norm at IoW ... not saying there arent many other worthy candidates and I 'approved' quite a lot in this new voting scheme ... but I think the Hawk's are obvious, well publicised and of the level people would feel should be recognised ... so I always had him to be in the Top3.
I'm not his campaign manager - though I do feel a Northern affinity, even if he has legged-it down South these days.
Paul
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:03 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Paul Dargan wrote:Really Carl? Maybe a bit mainstream for the conversation on the forum so far ... but effectively self-taught to GM and winning the British ... starting with what was it 6/6 in the first week, then coasting in with 5 draws, when he was probably better with Black when he agreed draws with Hebden, Howell and Pert? in the last round. His win v's Marin and GM norm at IoW ... not saying there arent many other worthy candidates and I 'approved' quite a lot in this new voting scheme ... but I think the Hawk's are obvious, well publicised and of the level people would feel should be recognised ... so I always had him to be in the Top3.
I'm not his campaign manager - though I do feel a Northern affinity, even if he has legged-it down South these days.
Paul
No he would be a really deserving winner I just felt Howell would walk it but perhaps not.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 am
by Paul Dargan
Cheddleton for club of the year perhaps with the top 3 so far ...
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 am
by Alan Walton
Paul Dargan wrote:Cheddleton for club of the year perhaps with the top 3 so far ...
I would say team of the year, considering they only really play 4NCL for them
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 am
by Paul Dargan
Of the three of them, only really Keith posts on here ... I guess the other two are so well known they get votes automatically.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:27 am
by LawrenceCooper
We seem to have stalled on 198 votes so I'm hoping sending this thread back to the top of the list might encourage a few more to vote.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 am
by Carl Hibbard
LawrenceCooper wrote:We seem to have stalled on 198 votes so I'm hoping sending this thread back to the top of the list might encourage a few more to vote.
It is only members of the forum so be interesting to see the final count.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:03 am
by Mick Norris
I assume the total is number of votes, rather than number of voters which would be a more interesting stat (given we can vote for as many, or few, players as we like)
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
The total is number of votes, yes. Number of voters would indeed be a more interesting stat.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:18 pm
by Paul Douglass
Voted for Keith Arkell, Jonathan Hawkins, David Howell and Brendan O'Gorman.
Keith - fantastic ambassador for English Chess and still going strong after all these years!
The Hawk due to a meteoric rise without any support the ECF.
David Howell in getting ever so close to the 2700 mark.
Brendan O'Gorman in playing a fantastic amount of chess (supporting the various events) in country and the lovely photos of the venues and players. Superb dedication.
A really good post on the forum. A pity Ray Keene wasn't any of the options as I might have also voted for him.
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:10 am
by Mike Truran
I thought it more than a little ironic that Carl, despite many vociferous (and justified) comments about censorship in the other place, has seen fit, apparently after a complaint from a forumite, to remove the two YouTube Hitler parodies with neither prior consultation nor subsequent notification.
I have agreed with Carl that I should raise the matter publicly, as there seems to me to be an important point of principle here.
Double standards?

Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:20 am
by Paul Dargan
I did think I'd seen the link here - but found it through the OPs facebook page again anyway ...
Re: English Chess Forum player of the year: The Poll
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:14 am
by Ian Thompson
Mike Truran wrote:I thought it more than a little ironic that Carl, despite many vociferous (and justified) comments about censorship in the other place, has seen fit, apparently after a complaint from a forumite, to remove the two YouTube Hitler parodies with neither prior consultation nor subsequent notification.
I'm curious to know what the nature of the complaint was, particularly when they were only links to material on other websites, not something that was hosted here.