Online tournaments with prizes

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Haydon

Online tournaments with prizes

Post by David Haydon » Sat May 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Can anyone suggest the best places on the web to play chess with chances of winning prizes? For instance in a tournament or even possibly one on one.

I remember a few years ago I played in a tournament on chesscubein which the winner gets everything paid for including hotel, flights, food and entry to a tournament in South Africa for 2 weeks, I Think it may have been the commonwealth champs.

Would be nice to know if any such things like this still exist on any chess server. Any recommendations or personal experiences of playing these type of online tournaments?

David.

Jon Mahony

Re: Online tournaments with prizes

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue May 05, 2015 1:47 pm

I remember a site I found a few years ago where you could play for money stakes (Chess for money.com?) but I automatically assumed this would be a good place to loose £££’s to computer cheaters and never registered.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Ian Thompson

Re: Online tournaments with prizes

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue May 05, 2015 9:54 pm

David Haydon wrote:Can anyone suggest the best places on the web to play chess with chances of winning prizes? For instance in a tournament or even possibly one on one.
Playchess.com has tournaments with prizes, and, assuming it hasn't withdrawn the facility, the ability to play individual games for virtual currency. As I've never played that, I don't know whether the virtual currency could be exchanged for real money, or had to be used to buy Chessbase products and services.